EUROPEANS FILE TSUNAMI LAWSUIT

Duty Honor Country

It was only a matter of time before people placed blame on the Tsunami. First people blamed the US for causing the wave, now the US did not do enough to get the warning out...when does it stop???

A group of Austrian and German victims of the Asian tsunami disaster are set to file a lawsuit demanding that Thailand, a French hotel chain and US forecasters prove they reacted adequately to the disaster.

Lawyers for the group said the Thai government, the French hotel chain Accor and the US-administered tsunami early warning system in the Pacific are the targets of the lawsuit, which will be filed in a New York district court this week.

"We found that serious lapses were committed," said Herwig Hasslacher, one of the three lawyers.

They said the suit at this stage intends to uncover evidence to prove the targets were negligent, rather than demand compensation...

READ MORE

Are they saying that the USA is the only Nation smart enough to detect earthquakes? I think not. I would be totally ashamed to admit that I had to rely on a country around the world from me had to tell me to run or get drowned.

Did someone bother to tell them that their families where harmed outside of the U.S. boarders?

I mean, if we did somehow provide some kind of ample warning wouldn't it just be another case of U.S. imerpialism over the other countries' soverign warning systems?

wow, thats truelly impressive guys, took you no time at all to turn this into yet another "the worlds out to get us" thread

good job.

personally i think this suit is pointless, of course mistake are going to happen with an event this rare, i hate this phrase but it was an act of god!
either sue god or just let the grieving do what it supposed to do

Doody said:
It was only a matter of time before people placed blame on the Tsunami. First people blamed the US for causing the wave, now the US did not do enough to get the warning out...when does it stop???

A group of Austrian and German victims of the Asian tsunami disaster are set to file a lawsuit demanding that Thailand, a French hotel chain and US forecasters prove they reacted adequately to the disaster.

Lawyers for the group said the Thai government, the French hotel chain Accor and the US-administered tsunami early warning system in the Pacific are the targets of the lawsuit, which will be filed in a New York district court this week.

"We found that serious lapses were committed," said Herwig Hasslacher, one of the three lawyers.

They said the suit at this stage intends to uncover evidence to prove the targets were negligent, rather than demand compensation...

READ MORE

You should change the title of the post. Europe is lots bigger than Austria and Germany. That lawsuit is ridiculus.

First people blamed the US for causing the wave, now the US did not do enough to get the warning out...when does it stop???

In history, the United States have become a political pendullum, swinging back and forth.

It will only stop if you swing yourselves to other direction instead of what you are in right now.

There is no detection system for earthquakes. Various experiements have been tried but all have failed. Even a Chinese experiment in the 70s I think which allegedly found ways to use animals to detect earthquakes was an utter failure. It worked once... possibly a complete fluke and it never worked again.
If there was such a detection system, Japan would have it by now.
Looks like everyone wants to sue the Americans for everything.
What ever happened to sorting things out by ourselves?

I can understand the European position though.
Europe is just so peaceful, they don't understand just how evil some people can be. So to them, George W Bush looks "evil." They accuse Americans of being stupid and unaware of the world but the same could be said of Europeans (and everyone actually). The "world" that Europe speaks so fondly of, is quite frankly, just Europe. Want to see the world? Live in a poor ass country for a while and be aware of your surroundings.

chewie_nz said:
wow, thats truelly impressive guys, took you no time at all to turn this into yet another "the worlds out to get us" thread

good job.

personally i think this suit is pointless, of course mistake are going to happen with an event this rare, i hate this phrase but it was an act of god!
either sue god or just let the grieving do what it supposed to do

Hehe yes but to be fair it is a ludicrous court case, the pacific monitoring system cannot possibly accurately monitor the Indian ocean at best it might provide a warning the I doubt it could predict the magnitude of what happened.

On top of this US funds the majority of the Pacific system oddly enough because it has a large pacific coastline but no Indian ocean shore front so if the Austrians and Germans want one for the Indian ocean then fork over the cash for it and stop trying to apportion blame for a natural disaster.

the_13th_redneck said:
Europe is just so peaceful, they don't understand just how evil some people can be. .

well considering WWI & WWII, as well as the cold war, i think the people of europe have experienced evil

chewie_nz said:
the_13th_redneck said:
Europe is just so peaceful, they don't understand just how evil some people can be. .

well considering WWI & WWII, as well as the cold war, i think the people of europe have experienced evil
Oh W.Europeans are peaceful. I mean look at what we did to populations in the Americas, Asia, Africa?

USAFAUX2004 said:
chewie_nz said:
the_13th_redneck said:

Oh W.Europeans are peaceful. I mean look at what we did to populations in the Americas, Asia, Africa?

exactly....i hardly think that evil is something that only some have experience...mans compacity for cruelty and evil is pretty much infinate

chewie_nz said:
the_13th_redneck said:

It's called forgetfulness. World War II was over 50 years ago. The current generation won't know a thing about it.
Kind of like Korea which has forgotten the Korean War.

chewie_nz said:

good job.

I do not think the world is out to get the US in that case. If you real the article closely, you'll see that a French Hotel chain and the Indonesian government were also named in the suit. The thing that offends me a bit is the US did a decent job in getting aid to people fast. How are we repaid? By other countries bragging about how they are paying more for aid and a stupid arse lawsuit.

If I may, where is the world when natural disasters hit the US. If I remember correctly, no one helped Americans during the 89 San Fransico earthquake. Does the world ever help the US like the US helps the world?

staurofilakes said:
You should change the title of the post. Europe is lots bigger than Austria and Germany. That lawsuit is ridiculus.

I really did think of changing the title of the article. In the end, I decided to keep the same title as the article. There seems to be a sort of rivalry between Europe and the US. Say a group from Kentucky sued the EU. I am sure the headlines in Europe would read Americans sue Europe even though the group only represents Kentucky.[/b]

the_13th_redneck said:
chewie_nz said:
the_13th_redneck said:

It's called forgetfulness. World War II was over 50 years ago. The current generation won't know a thing about it.

Really, have you done some research into that? You really doubt that the current generation, which generation to be exact, those that are born now this year? The i think you are right, the coprehention of a baby that is around 3 months is not that good. Or a 20 year old? Maybe a 15 yearold, I do think they know about world war 2

I'm speaking of the generation in their 20s and 30s mostly. And yes they'd be quite forgetful. Don't take it personally. It happens to everyone.
For some reason all around the world people have a tendency to listen to rock band musicians over the people who actually starved with the starving or fought in the fighting. It's really strange. The same can be said about Korea really. Same can be said of pretty much everyone.
And yes, I've done some research on this. There are a fair amount of books out there. The book I liked was "Civilization and its Enemies." It's main theme is about the forgetfulness of societies over generations etc. Quite intriguing. I think it's something almost too obvious not to believe.
If you think George W Bush is the height of evil, you haven't seen anything.

staurofilakes wrote:

I really did think of changing the title of the article. In the end, I decided to keep the same title as the article. There seems to be a sort of rivalry between Europe and the US. Say a group from Kentucky sued the EU. I am sure the headlines in Europe would read Americans sue Europe even though the group only represents Kentucky.

Yes, you are right, It would probably happen like you say, but the difference is that US is a country and Europe is formed by many countries. I do not know in the rest of Europe, but at least in Spain I never heard in the news about that lawsuit. I think is pathetic to acuse US of just saving their citizens...

the_13th_redneck said:
chewie_nz said:
the_13th_redneck said:

I agree. Look at VietNam, most of the guys who fought there were in High School longer than they were in VietNam. I was born near the end of VJ day and the people who fought in WWII and Korea are pretty much the only ones who remember but their numbers are getting smaller every day.

Actually forgetfulness even happens among the ranks of those who were there. The prime example of this is East Germany. Some of these people seem to be kidding themselves into believing that life was better in East Germany than in the unified Germany. It's complete nonsense.
Just erodes over time.
Sad really.

Back