European Federation

Sigma1990

Now all 27 countries have ratified the Lisbon treaty, and the Councils set to get its first President, I was just wondering what you guys thought of the possibilty. And maybe a single Military?:tank:

I don't see it happening unless they decide to unify languages, which will NEVER happen.

Actually thats easy, English.

Everybody speaks English to a varying degree of skill in Europe. For example the scandanavians (like our good Viking friend Redleg ) speak it fluently, French people (and other latins) speak it like a horses as*.

I was in Norway last weekend (my second trip) I didnt find a single person who DIDNT speak english.

An EU army? Possible. But I personally can't see the EU becoming a smaller UN with more political power. Possible though. But I would agree with mm, it wouldn't be difficult to contact for nearly the whole world speaks English. It is very possible, but I personally can't see it happening. I don't think the countries would want an EU army.

It will take a lot of time for people to adjust, but I do believe that we will have one solid Europe. The language is just a formality, but with the right offers even France will agree. And that is what it is all about; negotiation.
There are already many plans and combined trainings of different armies. Holland and Germany regularly change their high command. The COC is alternating from Germany and then Holland..... and guess what? It works too!

Do you think NATO will survive this? Will this signal a divergence in goals?

This could be great for the US depending on how ties are kept, but also not so great depending on what happens with the emergence of a stronger, more centralized EU.

It will take a lot of time for people to adjust, but I do believe that we will have one solid Europe. The language is just a formality, but with the right offers even France will agree. And that is what it is all about; negotiation.
There are already many plans and combined trainings of different armies. Holland and Germany regularly change their high command. The COC is alternating from Germany and then Holland..... and guess what? It works too!

I agree with you! I can defenatley see Europe growing stronger which is great thing! Just give it time. However I don;t think it will ever become almighty for not all countries will join the EU. I believe Switzerland have declared that they will never join the EU. But who knows, maybe a new government may change their mind? You never know.

Hmm..Give it another few decades and NATO will be dead.

Yin, co-operation between the EU and Switzerland has grown over the last few yrs. They are now a member of the Schengen area. I believe they will eventually join along with most of the rest of Europe. I mean a year ago, who could imagine Iceland joining?

Call me a bit of a stick in the mud, but I'm cynical about the whole EU thing - politics aside.

It is a large voting block, which caters to the most powerful players within the EU - so why would a soverign nation want to sign over their instrument of last resort to an unelected old boys network? More importantly why would their population allow it?

The French and Germans hve had a shared "Corps" for a while - as far as I'm aware it has been a paper tiger and will be for the forseeable future.

Replacing NATO? I doubt it, as the US provides the bulk of the military technology and logistics, why would eurpoe cut them out of the equation? To my mind this the EU is an artificial alliance that is doomed to fail - because it cannot serve the interests of all the nation states at the same time, someone will be unhappy and will replace their politicians with someone that will protect their (and their nations) interests.

The EU promises much, delivers little and costs a lot (most of it unaccountable) - sound familiar anyone?

It is a large voting block, which caters to the most powerful players within the EU - so why would a soverign nation want to sign over their instrument of last resort to an unelected old boys network? More importantly why would their population allow it?
I'm not sure, but it worked well for both California and Texas.

Call me a bit of a stick in the mud, but I'm cynical about the whole EU thing - politics aside.

The French and Germans hve had a shared "Corps" for a while - as far as I'm aware it has been a paper tiger and will be for the forseeable future.

Replacing NATO? I doubt it, as the US provides the bulk of the military technology and logistics, why would eurpoe cut them out of the equation? To my mind this the EU is an artificial alliance that is doomed to fail - because it cannot serve the interests of all the nation states at the same time, someone will be unhappy and will replace their politicians with someone that will protect their (and their nations) interests.

The EU promises much, delivers little and costs a lot (most of it unaccountable) - sound familiar anyone?

Fair enough, on the military side the EU is defeantley weak. I would agree that we would rely heavily on the US for equipment. Yet the EU offers much more. It helps bring jobs and bring's the European countries for we don't need to worry about VIsa's and what not. I still see the EU as a valuable part of all European nations. I agree many countries, like Britain, do find it rather annoying sometimes for it increases immigration for us but it does bring alot of benefits.

Do you think NATO will survive this? Will this signal a divergence in goals?

This could be great for the US depending on how ties are kept, but also not so great depending on what happens with the emergence of a stronger, more centralized EU.

I think that the importance of NATO was already diminished by America's invasion of Iraq and Bush's quote:"You are either with us or against us!" So it exists on paper, but in daily life it has lost much of it's importance.

And regarding the time scale in which Europeans have to adjust.... yes, it will take time to breach 2000 years of developments. But much progress has been made over the last 15 years! So I reckon that we can make it work.

Why would we rely on US equipment. Do we rely on US equipment now?

Well actually yes. Although a few of the big superpowers, like Britain, do have alot of their own equipment is made up of American equipment. Not only that but a majority of all the smaller countries such as Romania and in other continents like Iraq will rely on American and British equipment. This is why I sort of laugh when we go to war with them because the equipment they use are equipment we invented so we know them inside and out. lol.

So how many Starlifters do the RAF have? We rely on the yanks for logistic support as much as anyone else. But that is getting away from the point of the debate - does the EU spell the death knell of NATO?

I've already made my view clear, what about the rest of you? Do you see an EU force on peacekeeping / peace enforecement, perhaps wearing rainbow cloured berets rather than blue or their own Regiment. Does it become the tool of an unelected leader or is it for barter as the power broking elite roll the dice and decide where they would like to play today?

Let's try to keep on point chaps!

Well personally, I don't see the EU destroying NATO. I don't think Europe will ever kick the US out of the picture for their vital. But the EU becoming a smaller UN? I hihly doubt i. The EU is srictly for a political assistance in Eureope. I highly doubt it will ever take up the role of a peacekeeping organisation.

I could never see us doing somthing like that, but if thats what the Europeans want then thats great. I think a strong European friend is a great thing.

I could never see us doing somthing like that, but if thats what the Europeans want then thats great. I think a strong European friend is a great thing.

I think that might be the whole idea. I believe one of the major idea's of the EU is to keep the countries together and to keep the flow of trade going. I think the whole idea is to make Europe a much more united continent. It would be very valuable to the US!

:9mm: US under attack.

:salute2: EU comes to the rescue.

:avi: Americans happy.

:biggun: We show them who's boss!

he he.

Why would we rely on US equipment. Do we rely on US equipment now?

Yes, widely (especially ex WP nations), also much low tech stuff like e.g. transport (C-160, CH 47, etc...).

And we rely almost exclusively on their INTEl, mainly IMINT or SIGINT, which is the more important bit.

Rattler

Last edited:
Back