Eurofighter a shooting star in clash with US jets

chewie_nz

Banned
[url said:
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=673262005[/url]]Eurofighter a shooting star in clash with US jets

MURDO MACLEOD
POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

IT might be over budget and years late but the Eurofighter Typhoon has shown that it can shake off America's best fighter plane and shoot it down.

A chance encounter over the Lake District between a Eurofighter trainer and two F-15 aircraft turned into a mock dogfight, with the British plane coming off best - much to the surprise of some in the RAF. The episode was hushed up for fear of causing US blushes.

For a project 10 years late and $8bn over budget, it is a welcome piece of good news.

The 'clash' took place last year over Windermere when the two-seater RAF Eurofighter was 'bounced' from behind by the two F-15E fighters.

The US pilots intended to pursue the supposedly hapless 'Limey' for several miles and lock their radars on to it for long enough so that if it had been a real dogfight the British jet would have been shot down.

But much to the Americans' surprise, the Eurofighter shook them off, outmanoeuvred them and moved into shooting positions on their tails.

The British pilots themselves were almost as surprised at winning an encounter with an aircraft widely regarded as the best fighter in the world.

hehehe... the united states might be placing some orders for some eurofighters ;)[/quote]

The F-15 is regarded as the best in the world?

I'm not sure if the Typhoon would handle a dogfight against an F-16 or F/A-18. It would be pretty awesome if it could, of course.

I'm surprised to hear modern planes still need to keep a radar lock on the target while the missiles are in flight. I thought most anti-air missiles were fire-and-forget these days.

AlexKall said:
I know that Gripen has won countless of dogfights against F-16 and F/A-18s

NICE!

Does anybody know how well modern European planes (Gripen, Rafale, Typhoon) fare against Russian ones.

It would also be worth knowing when the F-16s and F/A-18s that were "splashed" by Gripens and the F-15s that were defeated by that Typhoon were last upgraded.

Some F-15s out there are 25 years old or older. I think it would have been more of a surprise if the F-15s had outperformed the E-Fighter. A better comparison might be the latest against the latest.

Read some comments about the E-Fighter and the F-22 Raptor from someone who has flown both.
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123009594
http://www.af.mil/news/story_print.asp?storyID=123010102

Before you go screaming that Gen. Jump (U.S. AF COS) is obviously biased, read the comments and you'll see that he says he believes "the two aircraft are running neck-and-neck". They are different aircraft with different roles on the battlefield.

Here's another article, "Measuring the F-22 Advantage - (compared to European fighters; Rafael, Eurofighter, and Gripen?)"
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1403808/posts

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
AlexKall said:
I know that Gripen has won countless of dogfights against F-16 and F/A-18s

NICE!

Does anybody know how well modern European planes (Gripen, Rafale, Typhoon) fare against Russian ones.

It would also be worth knowing when the F-16s and F/A-18s that were "splashed" by Gripens and the F-15s that were defeated by that Typhoon were last upgraded.

Not sure about how they fare off, or get fared off (;)) by the ruskies, never been in a game that i know of, but i might be wrong. As for the models i'm not sure either, I'll try to find the article.

Well i will continue to lock, its not easy to find those kinds of thigs on mil.se lol

I think it was slightly older finish F/A-18 (new for finland but i dont think they ware of the latest make) and F-16 from norway if i'm not misstaken.

Ehhh...the F-15 is 25 years old and designed as a high-speed interceptor, not a dogfighter. I think a newer model F-16, or F/A-18E/F (Super Hornet or "Rhino" models) could take the Eurofighter.

Hi,

Is it just me or the Eurofighter looks Very Very Similar to MIG 1.44 ..... they are Twins .... ;) :p

Eurofighter
See here

MIG 1.44

mig144_1.jpg

Ooo and F-18 Super Hornet, Eurofighter Typhoon,Su-30, Su-33, Su-35 and Dassault Rafale are all 4.5th Generation Fighters ........... Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor is a 5 th generation Plane ,..... it would be fair on Typhoon to compare and compete with them ........... It would be fair to compare it with the Fighters of it's calss.

Peace
-=SF-13=-

No, the Eurofighter has no similarities with the Mig 1.44. I've heard enough of the "this looks like this" contest already. You cannot simply judge an aircraft by its wing designs and intakes.

CABAL said:
No, the Eurofighter has no similarities with the Mig 1.44. I've heard enough of the "this looks like this" contest already. You cannot simply judge an aircraft by its wing designs and intakes.

Nor can assumptions be made about "lockons" being the last thing that happens when two fighters are in conflict. There are countermeasures and weaponry that are not figured into the equation. Also, a lot depends on whether a pilot is a recruit or a "Top Gun" instructor.

Missileer said:
CABAL said:

Nor can assumptions be made about "lockons" being the last thing that happens when two fighters are in conflict. There are countermeasures and weaponry that are not figured into the equation. Also, a lot depends on whether a pilot is a recruit or a "Top Gun" instructor.

A bit of a side note.

It would be fun to see two enemy fighers intercept each other, then both land on a near air strip and park beside each other, take their mesuring devices, cameras etc and the best looking machine from the photos and data where a jurry of profesionall photographers, the worlds out most respected photographers of unbased countries that is not involved in the conflict.

Dude, the Raptor is the best fighter in the world. It takes on 10 F-15's at time and the F-15's never even see the F-22.

Meh, Mig-29 would even give an F-15 a run for its money (If it gets close). Im not sure about that F-22 story. :?

The Eurofighter is a great plane, make no mistake! BUUUUT the F22 is a newer design with a lot of mistakes from the past avoided (which the design tream on the E-fighter had to make).
Comparing the E-fighter to a F15 is like comparing the F15 to a Hunter Hawk. Different era's and different class of fighters. The E-fighter will whip an F15 in close combat - look at the design of the plane, it is made for super agility while the F15 is designed for high speed.

I say the e-fighter can hold its own in a dog fight - no questions about that, but we have to see what the F22 is capable of before we proclaim it to be the best. The russian planes don't play a role anymore (in future designs), since aircraft design has almost come to a complete halt since the end of the cold war.

Back