Eurocorps-Foreign Legion concept in a EU(WEU)-NATO framework

IMO; The discipline of a unit in any situation revolves directly around their leadership. At the very least you need Atypes in leadership positions Officer/NCO. As well as a leaving in the ranks.

Simply following orders while good for a private is not for command. An officer or NCO cannot wait in a hostile situation they need the latitude and authority to make command decisions on the spot. Not be tied to a radio waiting for response from higher. They need the intiative to act within their ROE"s

There are a number of ways to evaluate levels of initiative by individual soldiers, for example, Training Exercises Without Troops(TEWTs) or command tasks with soldiers with/without weapons. These would be included in the selection process of legionnaires.

However, the real test of initiative, as you know, is live fire with real enemy.

zigliara2 said:
There are a number of ways to evaluate levels of initiative by individual soldiers, for example, Training Exercises Without Troops(TEWTs) or command tasks with soldiers with/without weapons. These would be included in the selection process of legionnaires.

However, the real test of initiative, as you know, is live fire with real enemy.

We call TEWTS, CPX. Command Post Excercise. I don't know that I would be willing to use excercises to base my training on. The best laid plans seldom survive First Contact.

[/quote]We call TEWTS, CPX. Command Post Excercise. I don't know that I would be willing to use excercises to base my training on. The best laid plans seldom survive First Contact.[/quote]
TEWTs and command task training can only decrease the PFTU factor (propensity to fu.ck things up) and weed out deficiencies; they are only a useful yardstick in individual initiative and capacity to rationalise and think through a plan.

Other evaluation methods of individual legionnaires over time in the selection process besides the operational awareness-building training facilities would be necessary to again limit the odds of individual misrepresentation...

Cabal said:
Although the concept of swaping officers around and fitting in replacements may seems simple, but it can be very complicated along the process and tremendous amounts of time can be wasted. I don't think it's a very excellent idea.
The replacement would be by officers with the most recent former appointments and with favourable notation in the pertinent platoon or company. Among the options of replacement is a FFL officer and permanent company 2IC appointment in each SER company.

This FFL officer would take immediately either temporary or full command of either the platoon or the company after withdrawal by the national authority of its officer representatives in the Single European Regiment, and before the final appointments prior to the deployment of the SER company.

There would be obvious and prior SOP provisions in the Eurocorps and possibly in the EUMC regarding replacement officers. The SER company and its corresponding national companies would deploy only after a qualified majority vote, say, 19 of 25 EU Member-States at the EU Council of Ministers and favourable to the deployment of the SER and its companies. Each EU Member-State could vote favourably to its deployment with or without its officer representative to allow further political flexibility to its deployment.

The companies of the SER regiment could deploy with French-speaking Canadian and American officers and counterpart American and Canadian companies following agreement to its deployment in a EU(WEU)-NATO framework at the United Nations.

Back