The Etymology of 'Hardcore' in the military

IcedDante

I heard that the word/term 'Hardcore' has its origins in the military- particularly the United States military in the Vietnam war if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone have any idea on what this word referred to or what it meant? I believe there was some sort of phrase associated with it like you know a soldier is hardcore when he... something something but I can't remember nor can I find it anywhere.

When I think of hardcore I think of paratrooper/ Ranger type troops. Men that fight with the up most morale when death is knockin at their door.

I disagree.

Its not a who you are...its a which why and what you are....

It doesn't have anything to do with what smaller group you belong too: its your loyalty, fealty or stick to it ness to the main ideas of the group itself. If you are army and you totally believe...support live breathe die and resurrect to the army and nothing else..you are "Hardcore". and if you just happen to be a ranger..in the army then why i guess you are "hardcore" to the rangers in the army.

Just like i admire the other services..I wouldn't give up my loyalty to my United States Air Force for all the tea in china ....so i'm "Hardcore Air Force"

:D

LeatherNeckRVA said:
in the same token however I can't think of many things I would give up in exchange for tea
OT:so the American Revolution...
sorry, kind of saw this heading in that direction, well more so if i push it there. :)

i don't think hardcore is something that you can call yourself either, it's something that people just recognize in you.

Back