ETHICAL PROBLEM

alpha_angel

I have this ethical question for other Civil Air Patrol cadets.

I am flight sergeant and I keep catching a female basic cadet flirting with staff officers during break and calling them by their first names. The officers in staff don't even do anything about it and they just flirt back too. I feel very uneasy about this. When I corrected her, she told me she didn't have to address the officers because she was in her civies (she didn't wear her BDUs yet because she doesn't know how to put her insignias on :roll: ). Now I remember when I was a basic, if I so much called a staff member by just their last name, I get racked at. She probably thinks she could get away with everything since her dad is a senior member. Something just doesn't seem right. I know that my guts tell me that this totally messes up the professional image of CAP and customs and courtesies. Do I have any responsibility in this?

What should I do if higher ranking cadets are involved?

we call this preferential treatment, it's very easy to deal with. That's why you shouldn't have your parents in your unit.

Eh, the one girl who couldn't keep her eyes off of our CC decided not to join, since I was telling her to keep her eyes on her work, not to be staring at the guys the whole time.

'didn't have to address officers'...That's complete crap right there. In uniform, or in civvies, you're still a part of the organization. She is a junior cadet, and the senior staff should know and acknowldege this fact. Correct her actions, and if neccessary, take disciplinary or administrative measures.

If her father doesnt do anything about it then her father doesnt need to be a part of the organization. I dont know about CAP but here it doesnt matter if you are a C/Colonel or a C/Airman, you still have the power to request disciplinary action. Do something about it, if you know its not right then you should report it to someone. No matter what she thinks of you.

alpha_angel said:

What should you do? Nothing! It is not the responsibility of a junior ranking cadt to correct these tpes of things. If you really want to do something though, I would suggest talking with someone of high authority, but dont make a big deal over this. The thing about a youth military program is that its not the actual military. Certain rules and regs are bound to be broken cause lets face it, we're teenagers and wether people think so or not, we will screw around when nobody is looking. Im not saying everyone is going to do something so terrible when a high rank turns their back, but having a chat with someone you know and not adressing them properly is bound to happen. I know most of you wish that cadets could be more military and small stuff like this wont happen but lets face it, it does! Just try and shrug it off cause really, what more can you do?
Thats my 2 cents.

NCdt Steliga said:
Correct her actions, and if neccessary, take disciplinary or administrative measures.

Is she in a position to correct the person in question? Because from what I gathered, she did not know what to do in the situation which made me think that she was a subordinate because taking disciplinary and administrative actions would be the most obvious for someone who out ranks them. But even if she is a subordinate rank you culd still correct her actions but in a non-authoritative way.

Mod edit: Don't double post

If non-authoritative methods prove useless, one must go to disciplinary and administrative measures. If you can't employ these on your own, then go to a senior member who has this power.

i think that the only way to deal with someone is to talk to them personally, one on one, outside the corps and see if they try to change. if they dont do anything then you can talk to a person higher than her and then you can see if she turns herself around

I would just like to comment on the original post.
alpha_angel said:
I have this ethical question for other Civil Air Patrol cadets.

I am flight sergeant and I keep catching a female basic cadet flirting with staff officers during break and calling them by their first names.
You are a higher rank than her, so using that justification, you *can* give her lawful orders. Whether she is in your direct charge or not. If she isn't then you should address the problem with her, then inform her own staff/seniors about it and let them handle it from there.
The officers in staff don't even do anything about it and they just flirt back too. I feel very uneasy about this.
You are the one with the problem, so you need to bring it up with her staff. Do your job as a senior cadet and take charge. Also, go to the senior person that these "officers" (i use the quotation marks, because if they allow something like this to happen, they aren't very good officers) need to answer to, and inform them.
When I corrected her, she told me she didn't have to address the officers because she was in her civies (she didn't wear her BDUs yet because she doesn't know how to put her insignias on :roll: ).
That is a wheelbarrow load of Bull Poo! Whether a cadet is or is not in uniform, has absolutely no impact on whether they are to follow the rules. She is on cadet time, therefor she MUST answer to authority. As for the thing about her BDUs. Since you are a senior, you should be the one to lead by example (i'm not saying you don't) by showing her exactly how to sew on her badges. On a relaxed training night, or even on a regular night of the week, meet with her. Have her bring her uniform, and you bring your own. Bring a sewing kit/polishing kit, and show her exactly what to do. Help her with this. One of the major problems with cadets these days is the fact that the leaders of their unit don't help them.
Now I remember when I was a basic, if I so much called a staff member by just their last name, I get racked at. She probably thinks she could get away with everything since her dad is a senior member.
Again, this is a load of BS. Just because she has family in the senior ranks, does not mean she gets special treatment whatsoever. If she goes and "cries to daddy" bring the problem to another officer who can deal with the situation. Something you as a senior need to learn to do, is use the resources around you. Identify who has what capabilities. IE: Sergeant Bloggins is excellent at drill, so if you have a drill related question, talk to the Sgt, or Lieutenant So-and-so happens to be a mathematics teacher in a high school, and you need some homework help, talk to them.
Something just doesn't seem right. I know that my guts tell me that this totally messes up the professional image of CAP and customs and courtesies.
You are absolutely right. This kind of behaviour reflect negatively upon her, the officers involved, her direct senior cadets for not dealing with the problem, your unit, the Civil Air Patrol, as a whole, as well as any cadet in any uniform anywhere in the world.
Do I have any responsibility in this?
Absolutely yes! You are the one who identified the problem, and it is your OBLIGATION to report it and have it dealt with. Whether you deal with it yourself, or report it to the people with direct authority to do it, you still must report it.

I think I answered that successfully. Please let me know what happens, I am curious to see if it works out for you.:)

It may not be JUST an ethical problem!

Having never been a Cadet, I have never been exposed to the exact situation you describe - but - as the Leading CPO within my division, I have been in similar situations.

When the problem consists of a junior female interacting with seniors, there is more than just an ethical question to be determined.

FIRST - is the young lady using her sex to try to influence or curry favors from senior people? Is a senior allowing this flirtation tactic to influence his decisions where the young lady is concerned?

SECOND - if the answer to either question is yes then you have a major problem on your hands that WILL require intervention by higher authority. Go to your Commanding Officer (or) Leading Enlisted person (man/woman) and lay the whole situation out for him/her and then follow his/her lead.

THIRD - if the answer is no to both questions, then as a senior cadet (enlisted/officer) you have the authority to place the junior person under the "control/stricture" of orders by counseling the young lady - by that I mean explain that no matter the fact that she is in civilians, she is still a cadet and is subject to the rules and regulations covering a cadet (makes no difference whether at a formal meeting or informally [anywhere]). Fraternization regulations are very firm/strict about this.

FINALLY - once you have pointed out where she is wrong, you then place her on notice by ordering her to not fraternize with the seniors under threat of non-judicial punishment. Make sure that she understands all of the counseling and that you record everything that you do and forward an informational copy (Formal Counselling Form - form designed for this purpose) to your Commanding Officer or Division Officer (whichever is appropriate).

Whenever you have occasion to be confronted by these "ethical" dilemmas, fall back on the regulations and you won't go wrong (whether a cadet or active military member - the book is never wrong).

Last edited:
The last time I had to deal with an issue like this I was the person being addressed by thieir first name, and it is totally inappropriate. I have a group of friends from my Squadron and some of them hold a much lower position than me. Not only does that kind of behavior set poor standards, it is disrespectful towards the senior persons, the other recruits, and you (I'm assuming that she did not address you with respect when you talked to her about it).

I'd just correct it every single time you hear it. Chances are that the senior people will be grateful for it, or take over to avoid you correcting a cadet in front of them. I mean, cadets at my Squadron address us be rank at most social events if they are Squadron run, let alone exercises we wear civies to.

(just a side note for ouyin2000... Bloggins is such a Canadian forces name. But we're only allowed to use the name 10% of the time now because there is a Cpl Bloggins somewhere now.)

Back