Ethic and Moral Question of UCAVs.

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
The future of aviation has got military planners going nuts over unmanned flight. I mean, it's cheaper, and it is easy to take care of. With having to feed, cloth, and train a pilot. Also, if a UAV gets shot down, you don't have to write a family, and tell them why their son or daughter, was lost...

But, then you have UCAVs, heartless, and full of potential. However there is one problem with the concept of using such vehicles in combat. Once you label them combatant. Then really? Who is responsible for when they screw up? You can hold a person responsible by law in a courtroom when they deliberately screw up in the military. But, what about a preprogrammed machine?

When war started back in Man's early days, it was a the most serious act of violence used to attack a enemy. Every human has the will to live, and if you take that away by killing them, then you have put the most serious act known to man on them. Hence, when this is done on a large scale you get war. Why do some Nations do everything the can to stay out of war? Because sometimes, you don't want to go broke , or you don't want to die.

But, when you have a Unmanned machine flying against you, you may sometimes wonder, on what would happen in a complex scenario, where a preprogrammed fighter or bomber, does what it is designed to do. But, remember unlike people, machines do not know borders, or politics, or treaties. Sure you can upload data, but you will have to do this on a day to day schedule in a hotly contested wars zone, in a small country congested with borders.

Read this scenario bellow and you will see what I mean:

A UCAV, fueled, preprogrammed is sent out on a combat air patrol over the AO of recent large scale military operation. The crew that programmed it, did it with the instructions given to them by their COs, and they from the Operational commander, who got there general instruction from their bosses, all the way up to the Politicians, responsible for their nation's defense.

Now there is small number of fighter aircraft in the vicinity, so these aircraft are now flying back to back patrol sorties for hours now. They have been preprogrammed for this phase of the mission 48 hours ago in a hanger in your home nation, before entering the AO. Everything has been checked, the tech crew checks briskly, this new model UCAV, is capable of refueling while still spooled up, and loaded. This feature shows it's usefulness now.

Anyway the plane has been programmed to shoot down any aircraft flying into a no fly zone it has be instructed to enforce. So, stealthy it does this, with advanced computer tracking and locating systems it monitors its proximity towards all the borders of the small nation. One of which, a regional power, has the ability to gain weapons of mass destruction. And is not on a good political basis with your nation.

All of a sudden, a mishap occurs. The border tracking system was not updated, and the borders are now around 2 kilometers off from where their actual geographic location. And a 2 contacts on a tracked bearing appears on the UCAVs pulse data radar. They are military style helicopters. The UCAV technicians, in a hanger on a nearby allied air base monitor this on computer screens and begin gathering and relaying information, none of them aware that the border recognition system is off by around 2 kilometers.

Now here is the kicker, the 2 contacts are cleared by the Executive officer in charge of this specific UCAV flight. They are cleared weapons hot, on the two contacts, but, there are close to the border, no IFF, and are identified as aircraft belonging to the nation that is not politically friendly to your own. The computers then give off warning, that the update version installed on the UCAV is not current, it is to late the flight computers onboard the aircraft have fired two A 120Cs, and they are inbound towards the target. the aircraft are splashed, and the UCAVs have crossed the boarder....

22 hours later a session at the UN is held, tying to find out who to point the finger at in your nation's chain of command, the technicians , who were following orders, briskly checked the software while sending it out on orders? The XO, for seeing nothing wrong, and cleared another sortie, that nothing has gone wrong so far since the patrol operations began. Or do you possible blame other Air Force Crews back in you home nation for not checking the software, in which the routine walk down of the aircraft was shortened due to the urgency of the military situation in the AO.

Or do you blame the software company who installed the software inside the aircraft? Not putting in more fail safes. And more warning software???

Just who is at fault here?

It's things like this I do not know how they would go over. I do know how things like this could be recognized as a screw up, or mislabeled a international incident. Sometimes regions are just itching for a fight, and all they want is a reason. But, when a pilot screws up like this, he or she is usually the first blamed. But, what if a unmanned aircraft screws up, then who gets the blame??????

Last edited:
That type of mistake can also be made by a human being in the cockpit of an advanced aircraft. Also, I dont see any thing wrong with UCAVs since they prevent loss of human life.

In a situation where a pilot screw up, the pilot is blamed. In a situation where the technicians screwed up, they are blamed. That responsibility would fall inherently onto the CO too. The only people who screwed up their jobs were the technicians in their failure to update the boundaries and the CO who did not catch their mistake.

In reality, something like that would not happen. There are too many on-the-ground failsafes to allow someone to 'forget' to update boundaries (which apperantly changed?). That would be similar to 'forgetting' to change the coordinates on a missile strike or artillery. Not to mention the implications of a UCAV capable of extended air to air combat. This UCAV didnt get struck by lightning, did it?

Hopefully we dont shoot down every craft "not on a good political basis" we would have a lot of crash sites to clean up. :)

Mistakes will always happen and some one or other will always pay the price for the mistake. This will happen in civilian life as much as the forces, this is a part of life.

I know it is unlikely but responsibility issues, may be a problem. I am sure that there is something that can go wrong with a unmanned aircraft that does not require a on the ground pilot. But, the accountability of the machines actions, Sure you can place many fail safes but not to many. You must not forget this is a MILITARY AIRCRAFT. And if you are under attack, you can't have your air defense UCAV asking you (ENGAGE TARGET? CLICK YES OR NO, YES, ARE YOU SURE?) So on and so on.

I don't know, I am not paranoid that UCAVs will take over the world or something. Just, if a international incident did occur, don't you think that if to much faith of control was placed in the these machines, may make declaration of war difficult? I mean, it in a way bends the rules sorta speak.

And the moral side is, having the ability of a machine, to process and make the decision to take human life. May be found offensive by some people.

Last edited:
I think this touches on the lesson of not relying too heavily on technology. New technology is great, but dont use it to the extent where you think it will substitute for elbow grease and muscle.

I think this scenario you have put up isn't too far fetched at all. And it's not as complicated as you think.
First off, the US will have to go to the UN, supply a huge apology, pay large sums to the families of the deceased as compensation and in fact what you'd have is the technicians responsible for that UCAV and the unit's commanding officer sacked. Some of the technicians themselves would face court martial for manslaughter.
It is true, this sort of mistake could in fact happen on a manned vehicle.
Personally, I think these unmanned vehicles are the future and as long as you got ground staff keeping an eye on them, there isn't a whole lot wrong with it. So you got the controller in the plane or miles away from it in a safe place... there's still a human being or many human beings in the loop. Heck, the remote site controlling could have many advantages. Especially if the controllers and the planning staff are all sitting in one room.

Poor programming is the responsibilityof those who make the program parameters. The scenario above should have been thought of and provided for.

I really hope the first machine to become self-aware is not programmed for war!

But it is inevitable that robots will be used in fighting, they present too great of an advantage to pass over.

T-101endo.jpg

I really hope the first machine to become self-aware is not programmed for war!

But it is inevitable that robots will be used in fighting, they present too great of an advantage to pass over.

T-101endo.jpg

They are fragile, more so than you think, the targets of the future will not be on the battlefield, and military will not worry as much about destroyed equipment from bullets, and shells, but more so from hardrives and circuit boards.

Another thing that may happen is the advances in electronic warfare, and Internet warfare. Its relatively simple, Bad guy hacks you server,bypasses firewalls and watches your moves. And may deploy a air fuel bomb, or small tactical nuke into space, to explode, and shower your forces with a electromagnetic pulse, rending you computer net temporally ineffective, and your UCAVs blind....

Heck, or just fill ICBMs with glass, and shoot in the path of military satellites, glass hitting a satellite going 23,000 mph, well, isn't pretty, you don't have to incinerate a satellite to take make it ineffective, That would also hurt your opponent's income to, since they are pricey, and hard to replace.

Thus, after seeing concepts like these, a Ummanned vehicle screwing up , and well as possibly a Vehicle commander, with lack of information screwing up really increase.... But, that's how war will be fought in the future, not days, not hours a attack will develop, but, minutes, minutes before the munitions are inbound, minutes before land is mapped, and minutes before manned, and unmanned elements are combat ready.

By land, sea, and air. All linked, by computers, and all with a terrible Achilles heel. Reliance does make things faster on paper as far as self controlled combat assents. But, technology can only thing for it's self so far. A UCAV may have every safety and international law at the time programmed in it, but, you can not program better judgment, or that gut feeling.

Back