Error By Allies And 2 Clashes Kill 15 In South Of Afghanistan

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Times
January 14, 2008
Pg. 10
By Abdul Waheed Wafa and Taimoor Shah
KABUL, Afghanistan — Two NATO soldiers, two Afghan soldiers and 11 Afghan police officers were killed in separate clashes in the volatile southern region of Afghanistan, officials said Sunday.
A statement from NATO announced the deaths of two alliance soldiers on Saturday without giving their nationalities. The Associated Press reported Sunday that the Netherlands Defense Ministry said Dutch troops had killed two of their own in Oruzgan Province in southern Afghanistan. Separately, the Dutch said they had killed two allied Afghan soldiers that they mistook for enemies, according to The Associated Press.
In other parts of southern Afghanistan, Taliban guerrillas attacked a police checkpoint on Sunday morning in the Maiwand district of Kandahar Province. Taliban fighters in three taxis stopped at the checkpoint at 5 a.m. and opened fire, killing 10 police officers, said a policeman who survived the attack but did not want his name published.
Ismatullah, a resident of the Maiwand district, said, “At early morning, I heard shooting and later I found out the check post had been attacked,” adding, “I don’t know the exact number of the casualties, but I saw a few dead bodies were carried away by police.”
In Helmand Province, a suicide bomber detonated his explosives in the house of a regional police commander, killing a police officer. Six other people, including two children, were wounded.
The provincial police chief, Muhammad Hussain Andiwal, confirmed the suicide attack and said the attacker struck when guards tried to stop him from entering the house.
“A policeman along with the attacker were killed, and two policemen and four civilians including two children were wounded,” Mr. Andiwal said.
Violence in southern provinces of the country continues before what Afghan and NATO forces expect will be another winter lull. Taliban guerrillas have decreased their attacks because of winter cold in the last five years. The Taliban hard-line government was toppled by the American-led coalition in 2001.
Abdul Waheed Wafa reported from Kabul, and Taimoor Shah from Kandahar.

Back