The equipment of the USMC

TacticalEdge

i would just like to know some of the equipment(weapons in particular) that the USMC uses :rambo: :sniper: :2guns: :m16shoot: :biggun: :tank:

Marines use the M16A4. They just changed and are as far as I know the only branch to use the M16A4.

RnderSafe said:
Army, Navy, and Air Force have them as well.

Having them and using them are two different things ;) . In my statement I meant primarily. (i.e. Marines are issued a M16A4) Marines are the only ones using the A4. Sorry for the mix up.

RnderSafe said:
Right, then. The Army, Navy, and Air Force use them as well.

The Army, Navy, and Air Force are getting issued A4. Guess the base I'm at is behind the power curve. (no big surprise, this base is bad when it come to getting gear.)

Razor said:
The Army, Navy, and Air Force are getting issued A4. Guess the base I'm at is behind the power curve. (no big surprise, this base is bad when it come to getting gear.)

A lot of units have had them for some time.

RnderSafe said:
A lot of units have had them for some time.

You learn some thing new every day. Today I learned I should keep up with what going on, before I open my mouth. ;)

M40A1 Sniper Rifle
Manufacturer: Specially trained armorers at Quantico, Virginia.
Length: 44 inches (111.76 centimeters)
Barrel length: 24 inches (61 centimeters)
Weight: 14.5 pounds (6.58 kilograms)
Bore diameter: 7.62mm (.308 inches)
Maximum effective range: 1000 yards (914 meters)
Muzzle velocity: 2550 feet (777 meters) per second
Chamber pressure: 50,000 psi
Magazine capacity: 5 rounds
Unit Replacement Cost: $2,105

Features: The M40A1 sniper rifle is based on the Remington model 700. It is a heavy barrel, bolt action, magazine fed 7.62mm rifle that is optimized for accuracy with Match Grade ammunition. The rifle is equipped with a special 10 power Unertl sniper scope. With scope, the rifle weighs approximately 14.5 pounds. It is equipped with a built-in five round magazine. This weapon is hand-made by specially trained and qualified armorers at Quantico, Virginia.

The unique characteristics of the M40A1 Sniper Rifle are: commercial competition-grade heavy barrel, McMillan fiberglass stock and butt pad, modified Winchester Model 70 floorplate and trigger guard, and modified and lightened trigger. In addition, each stock is epoxy bedded for accuracy and all weapons must shoot less than one minute of angle (MOA).

Background: The M40A1 was put into service in the 1970s to meet the need of a long range sniper rifle. Each rifle is hand built by specially trained and qualified personnel at the Marine Corps Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) at Quantico, Virginia.

M1911A1 .45 Caliber Pistol (well used to, wish they would bring it back)
Primary function: Semiautomatic pistol
Length: 8.625 inches (21.91 centimeters)
Length of barrel: 5.03 inches (12.78 centimeters)
Weight:
Magazine empty: 2.5 pounds (1.14 kg)
Magazine loaded: 3.0 pounds (1.36 kg)
Bore diameter: .45 caliber
Maximum effective range: 82.02 feet (25 meters)
Muzzle velocity: 830 feet (253 meters) per second
Magazine capacity: 7 rounds
Unit Replacement Cost: $242

Features: The .45 caliber semiautomatic pistol M1911A1 is a recoil-operated hand weapon. It is a magazine-fed semiautomatic weapon, which fires one round each time the trigger is squeezed once the hammer is cocked by prior action of the slide or thumb. This design is referred to as "single action only." The thumb safety may only be activated once the pistol is cocked. The hammer remains in the fully cocked position once the safety is activated. (Note: More modern pistol designs of the "double action" type will allow the hammer to move forward to an uncocked position when the thumb safety is activated.) The M1911A1 was widely respected for its reliability and lethality. However, its single action/cocked and locked design required the user to be very familiar and well-trained to allow carrying the pistol in the "ready-to-fire" mode. Consequently, M1911A1s were often prescribed to be carried without a round in the chamber. Even with this restriction on the user, numerous unintentional discharges were documented yearly.

Background: The M1911A1 had been the standard handgun issued to Marines for many decades. Selected weapons were modified in the 1980s to meet the requirements of the MEU(SOC) in lieu of arming them with the M9 9mm pistol.

Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW), M249 Light Machine Gun
Primary function: Hand-held combat machine gun
Manufacturer: Fabrique Nationale Manufacturing, Inc.
Length: 40.87 inches (103.81 centimeters)
Weight:
With bipod and tools: 15.16 pounds (6.88 kilograms)
200-round box magazine: 6.92 pounds (3.14 kilograms)
30-round magazine: 1.07 pounds (.49 kilograms)
Bore diameter: 5.56mm (.233 inches)
Maximum effective range: 3281 feet (1000 meters) for an area target
Maximum range: 2.23 miles (3.6 kilometers)
Rates of fire:
Cyclic: 725 rounds per minute
Sustained: 85 rounds per minute
Unit Replacement Cost: $4,087

Features: The Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW), or 5.56mm M249 is an individually portable, gas operated, magazine or disintegrating metallic link-belt fed, light machine gun with fixed headspace and quick change barrel feature. The M249 engages point targets out to 800 meters, firing the improved NATO standard 5.56mm cartridge. The SAW forms the basis of firepower for the fire team. The gunner has the option of using 30-round M16 magazines or linked ammunition from pre-loaded 200-round plastic magazines. The gunner's basic load is 600 rounds of linked ammunition.

Background: The SAW was developed through an initially Army-led research and development effort and eventually a Joint NDO program in the late 1970s/early 1980s to restore sustained and accurate automatic weapons fire to the fire team and squad. When actually fielded in the mid-1980s, the SAW was issued as a one-for-one replacement for the designated "automatic rifle" (M16A1) in the Fire Team. In this regard, the SAW filled the void created by the retirement of the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) during the 1950s because interim automatic weapons (e.g. M-14E2/M16A1) had failed as viable "base of fire" weapons. Early in the SAW's fielding, the Army identified the need for a Product Improvement Program (PIP) to enhance the weapon. This effort resulted in a "PIP kit" which modifies the barrel, handguard, stock, pistol grip, buffer, and sights.

Carbine, 5.56mm, M4/M4A1
The M4 is a lightweight, gas operated, air cooled, magazine fed, selective rate, shoulder fired weapon with a collapsible stock. A shortened variant of the M16A2 rifle, the M4 provides the individual soldier operating in close quarters the capability to engage targets at extended range with accurate, lethal fire. The M4 Carbine achieves over 80% commonality with the M16A2 Rifle and will replace all M3 .45 cal. submachine guns and selected M9 pistols and M16 series rifle.

M18 Claymore
Present Status: Fielded
Arming: Manual
Safe Arm Time: N/A
Fuzing: Command
Warhead: Directional Fragmentation
Sensing Width: N/A
Anti-Handling Device: No
Self-Destruct: No
Explosive Weight: 1.5 lb
Mine Weight: 3.5 lb
Mines Per 5T Dump: 1,782

The M18 Claymore, a directional fragmentation mine, is 8-1/2 inches long, 1-3/8 inches wide, 3-1/4 inches high, and weighs 3-1/2 pounds. The mine contains 700 steel spheres (10.5 grains) and 1-1/2 pound layer of composition C-4 explosive and is initiated by a No. 2 electric blasting cap. The M18 command-detonated mine may be employed with obstacles or on the approaches, forward edges, flanks and rear edges of protective minefields as close-in protection against a dismounted Infantry attack.

Barrett 82A1M-Series (cant be used on humans)
Caliber: .50 BMG (12.7 x 99mm)
Magazine Capacity: 10 Rounds
Chamber For all NATO: .50 caliber BMG cartridges
Operation: Semi-Automatic - Short Recoil Cycle
M1913 Rail Length: 48cm (19.5 in)
Barrel Length: 74 cm (29 in)
Rifling Twist: 1 turn in 38.1 cm (15 in)
Rifle Weight: 15 kg (33lbs)
Overall Length: 145 cm (57 in)
Disassembled Length: 96.5 cm (38 in)

The semi-automatic operation offers the user the capability of rapidly placing multiple aimed shots on a given target. The unique operating cycle fires the .50 caliber machine gun cartridge yet develops the lowest recoil force of any .50 caliber rifle.

The M82A1M-series rifle operates on the short-recoil principle developed by the famed American gun designer, John M. Browning. Founder Ronnie Barrett adapted this operating principle to the shoulder-fired M82A1M rifle. The recoiling barrel and bolt assembly acting against innovative spring and buffer assemblies replace the sharp recoil impact with a longer-acting lower recoil force. To further reduce the recoil load, the M82A1M-series is fitted with a dual chamber muzzle brake. The muzzle brake redirects high velocity gun gas to reduce recoil by almost 70%. The net effect is a rifle with the felt recoil of a 12-gauge shotgun.

M-72 Light Antitank Weapon
Effective Range: 400 meters The M-72 Light Antitank Weapon fires a single 66mm explosive round capable of penetrating at least 350mm of armor. When the round impacts its target, the front cone collapses and pushes the energy into a small area. A copper slug ricochets around the interior of the target, while gas propellant ignites fuel and ammunition. The high strength aluminum/fiberglass composite tube is considered disposable after the rocket has been launched.

Howdy All,
I didn't read much of this post, only the part of which rifle the United States Marine Corps uses. Marines are issued the M16A2 Service rifle, and that's what we use. Yes, us jarhead pretty much use the same weaponry as the Army. We use the M16A2 Service Rifle (Primary enlisted weapon). Staff NCO's and Officers are issued a 9mm pistol. We use M67 and M69 frag grenades, the 240 Golf, Mark 19, AT-4, the SAW, and some other stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head. But yes, the USMC uses the M16A2, trust me, I'd know =].
Thanks
Semper Fi

Back