Equipment Issue...

deerslayer

Milforum Swamp Dweller
I'm working on outfitting a senior trip to go backpacking, having essentially undertaken the questions of funding, transport, planning, and equipment on alone.

My biggest roadblock is pricing equipment, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with good hiking boots, and what kind of prices I could find four good pairs for. Can someone help me out?

I'd be looking into something specifically for hiking, not snake boots. But it's a start. Because the only people who need to be outfitted are women, and for the above reasons, the 6" TMCs look to be good options. Anyone have any further comments or experience?

Taipan boots (Aussie made of course)

I've had mine for 7 years now and still wear them. They are military boots but they are good for your civilian use as well. I'll find you a link.

If I'm going for a budget of under 150 per person, not counting gas, can someone make some recommendations?

Oh- my list of fundraising ideas- volunteer concert (I got the idea from Charlie Daniels's Volunteer Jam:)), work, take up a little tax-free income on the side, any other suggestions?

G.I. Jungle Boots. The Panama Sole is pretty good for climbing. Only issue is the cold weather.

G.I. Jungle Boots. The Panama Sole is pretty good for climbing. Only issue is the cold weather.

Cold weather no problem for desert boots, I did use my old issued desert boots three winters in a row in temperatures from -25 to -5 centigrade without any problems at all. The trick is wool socks :viking:

But the leather gets very easily destroyed if you wear them in deep snow - I guess that is why they are called desert boots...?

Last edited:
I've been running into a problem with finding gas money... 5 people going, 1650 miles to Idaho from Louisiana, I'm not sure how much I'd need to be safe.

Estimate how many miles per gallon. Subtract 25%. Then Divide the number of miles by the MPG. This will tell you how many gallons of fuel you will need. Then multiply that by the average cost per gallon of gasoline.

20MPG - 25% = 15MPG.

1650/15MPG = 110 gallons of gasoline.

110gal x $2.50 = $275.00 (give or take).

The total formula outcome of course depends on the price of gas and the MPG of the vehicle you will drive. Hope this helps.

Note: One of the reasons for subtracting 25% is to give yourself a bit of cushion and to allow for added weight for passengers+gear+terrain+weather. Then add in the cost of one more tank for good measure.

Last edited:
Any ideas for fundraising? I've considered carwashes, volunteer concerts (half profit to charity- trying to sell it to school), and that's about it. Someone suggested working a corner, but I ahve a few ethics issues with that.

I hate to bump this, but first off I want to thank y'all for being a huge help in planning this trip.

To update- it looks like we'll be using a 4Runner, so I figure 550$ for gas. We've reduced equipment costs by using an advanced operating procedure known as "making it yourself and making the (string of obscenities deleted) thing work". Looks like boots and gas are the only pooled resources now, bringing the trip total to between $800 and $900. Not bad to outfit six people and pay for gas.

Anyone have ideas on how to raise this cash?

Back