Equine Therapy Tapped To Treat Veterans

--
Boots

May 20th, 2007  
Team Infidel

Topic: Equine Therapy Tapped To Treat Veterans

Miami Herald
May 20, 2007
Offering Solace In The Stables, South Florida Therapists Turn To Horses To Help War Veterans
By Jerry Berrios
Growing up around horses, Vietnam veteran Bob Bambury always knew they could heal emotional scars.
Brushing their coats, walking them around a ring or just petting their manes can help alleviate anxiety and build confidence for dealing with life's problems, he said.
In the past year, Bambury has been using his three horses to help veterans and active-duty soldiers from South Florida deal with post-traumatic stress disorder.
He moved the South Florida Veterans Multi-Purpose Center, where he serves as executive director, to Davie from Plantation earlier this month and plans to bring dozens of veterans to his Davie stable for some open-air therapy.
Equine therapy is not a new concept, especially for children with mental or physical disabilities.
New application
Using horses to treat PTSD is new.
Calming a horse's natural fear can help patients conquer their own, Bambury said. Fear and anxiety are prevalent symptoms of PTSD, a common affliction among veterans and others exposed to life-threatening or extremely stressful situations.
Last month, Bambury, psychologist Terri Jennings and ranch owner Sam Hurley held a horse-therapy demonstration at Oakhill Equestrian Park in Davie.
More than a half-dozen veterans -- some sporting leather vests and riding motorcycles -- showed up to interact with three horses.
Inside a fixed ring with the animals, Jennings and Hurley gave the participants their first task: Get the horse through an obstacle course without touching the horse or injuring it.
The obstacles -- three barrels, two Hula Hoops, and a low wooden jump -- symbolize real obstacles the participants may face in their lives.
Rick ''Rambo'' Whitford, 59, a Vietnam veteran, skillfully navigated the quarter-horse through one of the obstacles.
''The whole thing is a mental experience,'' he said. ``The horse is just a catalyst.''
Gulf War veteran John ''Storm'' Garcia, with a Hula Hoop in hand, approached the cream-colored pony, which quickly trotted the other way.
''He doesn't like me,'' said Garcia, 49, in frustration.
Jennings later asked him, ``Did he not like you -- or did he not like the Hula Hoop?''
People project their emotions onto the horses, she said.
''What happens in the ring is what happens in real life,'' said Jennings, founder of Healing Hooves, a Davie psychotherapy practice run out of the Bar-B Ranch that uses horses to treat mental health issues.
Horses work in therapy because they are social animals, just like human beings.
''They cannot live alone. They are herd animals,'' Jennings said. ``They depend on their herd to stay safe and healthy.''
Trepidation
Some patients initially refuse to get in the ring with the horse.
The next time, they get closer to the ring. Eventually they are petting the animals.
''If they can overcome the fear of being close to a 1,000-plus pound animal, then they start making progress in overcoming other fears,'' Jennings said.
Bambury hopes to hold regular therapy sessions at the veteran center's new location, using his own horses -- Blue and Lynx, both quarter horses, and Sam, an Arabian.
August 25th, 2008  
Robert

Topic: Equine Therapy

This equine therapy program for veterans is a good concept but the guy behind this one is a phoney. Bob Bambury has made numerous claims over the years to have been a Naval adviser in Vietnam in 1962. Most recent claim is here:

http://www.vetsenews.com/200805-arti...g-wounds.shtml

Quote:
Bambury understands how hard it can be to readjust to civilian life after going to war. In 1962 he served in the U.S. Navy with an advisory team in Vietnam. He has found that many Vietnam veterans still require assistance.

Claims made in years past to South Florida Sun-Sentinel reporters.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8...8301938ik8.png

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9...8302008om1.png

http://i35.tinypic.com/29f781u.jpg

The real truth is that Bob Bambury was actually 'discharged' from the U.S. Navy on June 7, 1960. He was assigned to the U.S.S. Henrico from 1956-60.

http://www.henricoapa45.org/pages_b.html
September 11th, 2008  
MontyB

I am a little at a loss here, the claim is that he has exaggerated his service record or that the equine program is a scam?
--
Boots
September 12th, 2008  
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I am a little at a loss here, the claim is that he has exaggerated his service record or that the equine program is a scam?
The claim IS, the man behind the service record is a PHONEY. If he can lie about his military service, who knows what else he's telling people? Before this recent horse venture, he ran a telemarketing operation.
September 12th, 2008  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
The claim IS, the man behind the service record is a PHONEY. If he can lie about his military service, who knows what else he's telling people? Before this recent horse venture, he ran a telemarketing operation.

I have to admit I am a little dubious of anyone that runs a telemarketing operation they are the lowest form of sales.

Can I ask whether this equine program actually works or not, does it have any genuine verifiable success stories because to be honest if the program worked and provided a valuable service then I wouldn't care if it was run by Hitler, however if it is a dodgy scam to extract vast sums of money from people who should be receiving real help then he needs to be hunted down rapidly.
September 13th, 2008  
Robert

Topic: Equine Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I have to admit I am a little dubious of anyone that runs a telemarketing operation they are the lowest form of sales.

Can I ask whether this equine program actually works or not, does it have any genuine verifiable success stories because to be honest if the program worked and provided a valuable service then I wouldn't care if it was run by Hitler, however if it is a dodgy scam to extract vast sums of money from people who should be receiving real help then he needs to be hunted down rapidly.
I have no info on the equine therapy program, it's a new twist to the organization. They had a grand opening ceremony last month. Here's a link:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,2127377.story

As far as this being a possible scam, I think so. Go to this site and type in Robert Bambury's name.

http://www.broward.org/records/cri03300.htm

Look at all the federal & state tax liens, judgements and extensions of judgement against him.

September 16th, 2008  
MontyB

Well I have to admit even though the program sounds intriguing I would be very loathe to put a lot of faith in this guys ability to run it effectively.
September 23rd, 2008  
Robert J. Bambury

Topic: In reply to "Robert's" BS

This is "Robert J. Bambury, Executive Director of the South Florida Veterans Multi-Purpose Center in Davie Florida."

What "Robert" failed to mention is the fact that he is a very sick individual. We took him off the streets into our Homeless Veterans Program almost 10 years ago and housed him free of cost. Unfortuntly, we had to dismiss him for constant drinking and rule breaking and it has been nothing but sour grape stalking ever since. Yes, you can do a google search on my name; Robert J. Bambury or Bob Bambury or South Florida Veterans Multi-Purpose Center. You will see guestbook signing referring to me as stating "I am the king of all veterans" and Others about drinking and "no one can keep up with me. Do you think I would make those kind of statments when we run a clean and sober operation? Guess who did make those entries, right Mr. Robert Bassett. "You might also want to view this site, www.vetsenews.com to see if we are real or not.

Why post a copy of my DD:215? Makes no sense to me. By the way he also entered me on "The Phony POW Site" They removed my name from there as soon as I contacted them. My DD:214 and DD:215 are public record with the Broward County Court House if you care to look.

Yes Equine assisted Therapy is proven to help the healing process of veterans suffering from PTSD, TBI and also Substance Abuse.

Robert W. Bassitt, please get the help you need.

A "SCAM" I don't think so.
September 23rd, 2008  
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. Bambury
This is "Robert J. Bambury, Executive Director of the South Florida Veterans Multi-Purpose Center in Davie Florida."

What "Robert" failed to mention is the fact that he is a very sick individual. We took him off the streets into our Homeless Veterans Program almost 10 years ago and housed him free of cost. Unfortuntly, we had to dismiss him for constant drinking and rule breaking and it has been nothing but sour grape stalking ever since. Yes, you can do a google search on my name; Robert J. Bambury or Bob Bambury or South Florida Veterans Multi-Purpose Center. You will see guestbook signing referring to me as stating "I am the king of all veterans" and Others about drinking and "no one can keep up with me. Do you think I would make those kind of statments when we run a clean and sober operation? Guess who did make those entries, right Mr. Robert Bassett. "You might also want to view this site, www.vetsenews.com to see if we are real or not.

Why post a copy of my DD:215? Makes no sense to me. By the way he also entered me on "The Phony POW Site" They removed my name from there as soon as I contacted them. My DD:214 and DD:215 are public record with the Broward County Court House if you care to look.

Yes Equine assisted Therapy is proven to help the healing process of veterans suffering from PTSD, TBI and also Substance Abuse.

Robert W. Bassitt, please get the help you need.

I stand by everything I've posted 100%. It's all documented. All you have is baseless, unproven accusations against me.

Quote:
By the way he also entered me on "The Phony POW Site" They removed my name from there as soon as I contacted them.
POW Network removed your name "temporarily." If after they receive and review your military records from the NPRC and it is determined independently that my assertions are correct, you will be re-placed back on their site as a "phoney."

Quote:
Why post a copy of my DD:215? Makes no sense to me. My DD:214 and DD:215 are public record with the Broward County Court House if you care to look.
The DD 215 is posted showing the date you left the U.S. Navy. That is in stark contrast to the lie you continue to tell about being in Vietnam in 1962.

The DD 214 & 215 may still be at the Broward County Courthouse but are not available to the internet public at their website.

Quote:
Well, I do. You're still actively soliciting donations and sponsorship yet you have an 18 year old lien still active against you along with all the IRS/Florida State tax liens and judgements from the past.

One IRS tax lien and a Department of Business & Regulation judgement AFTER you acquired the 501 (C) (3) charitable organization tax exemption that you're so proud of.
September 23rd, 2008  
03USMC

Get in a pissing contest elsewhere.