Equal Voting Rights?

pixiedustboo

Redfidelboo
My Facebook has been flooded with this picture (see below) and I would like to know if the military members (here) are upset over this lawsuit to grant equal voting rights?

I have a friend on Facebook, (a far right Marine) she has a major problem with equal voting rights (extended voting for civilians as well as military). I would love to hear other views on this, both military and civilian. I'm wondering if I am looking at this too much like 'a civilian' and if there is reason for any military voters to be upset about this.

Huffington Post Article

Times Article

Washington Post Article

oppose.png

My Facebook has been flooded with this picture (see below) and I would like to know if the military members (here) are upset over this lawsuit to grant equal voting rights?

I have a friend on Facebook, (a far right Marine) she has a major problem with equal voting rights (extended voting for civilians as well as military). I would love to hear other views on this, both military and civilian. I'm wondering if I am looking at this too much like 'a civilian' and if there is reason for any military voters to be upset about this.

Huffington Post Article

Times Article

Washington Post Article

oppose.png

I am for whatever the military needs. If anyone deserves a vote, it is the military.

If your a civi in the darn states and can't get your act together to get a vote in these days...please.

you need an id to cash a check, get smokes, buy booze, drive, check out a book, get on a plane etc etc

They are giving you a free photo id, they will come and pick you up to get the photo all you have to do is call, you can vote early if you are not going to be here, give me a break.

I hate the military being used in political non sense by a bunch of empty suits. Get our men and women the darn ballots on time and make sure the mail gets back to the states on time.:x

Don't forget the then sitting Vice President, Al Gore, sought to block as many military votes as possible here in Fla in 2000. Navy ship's Post Offices didn't date their postmarks, therefore it violated Fla Law that required that absentee ballots be dated before the cut off date. Had never been challenged before Gore.

I am for whatever the military needs. If anyone deserves a vote, it is the military.

If your a civi in the darn states and can't get your act together to get a vote in these days...please.

you need an id to cash a check, get smokes, buy booze, drive, check out a book, get on a plane etc etc

They are giving you a free photo id, they will come and pick you up to get the photo all you have to do is call, you can vote early if you are not going to be here, give me a break.

I hate the military being used in political non sense by a bunch of empty suits. Get our men and women the darn ballots on time and make sure the mail gets back to the states on time.:x
The military's early voting rights are not being taken away

Romney's side of the fence is spreading lies about what this lawsuit is aiming for. All this would entail is that civilians would have more voting time as well.

Don't forget the then sitting Vice President, Al Gore, sought to block as many military votes as possible here in Fla in 2000. Navy ship's Post Offices didn't date their postmarks, therefore it violated Fla Law that required that absentee ballots be dated before the cut off date. Had never been challenged before Gore.
The military's early voting is not being taken away. Instead civilians will also be allowed to vote early.

This has NOTHING to do with blocking military votes. Did you read the freaking article(s)? Why are you even bringing up blocking military votes?

Last edited:
The military's early voting is not being taken away. Instead civilians will also be allowed to vote early.

This has NOTHING to do with blocking military votes. Did you read the freaking article(s)? Why are you even bringing up blocking military votes?

Perhaps a better option would be to block the voting rights of people that can't read.

Personally I can't understand why elections have to be a 1 day thing, what would the problem be in opening up a week to voting after all no matter how long the period you still only get to vote once and a longer period of time may get more people out to vote.

My only suggestion would be that electioneering would have to stop when the voting started.

Last edited:
The military's early voting rights are not being taken away

Romney's side of the fence is spreading lies about what this lawsuit is aiming for. All this would entail is that civilians would have more voting time as well.

The original allegation was that they werr, just saying it wouldn't be the 1st time that Dems tried to disenfranchise military votes. In tis case all should have equal opportunity to vote, but....

Perhaps a better option would be to block the voting rights of people that can't read.

Personally I can't understand why elections have to be a 1 day thing, what would the problem be in opening up a week to voting after all no matter how long the period you still only get to vote once and a longer period of time may get more people out to vote.

My only suggestion would be that electioneering would have to stop when the voting started.
It's called Election Day for a reason, don't see any reason to have any early voting.

The original allegation was that they werr, just saying it wouldn't be the 1st time that Dems tried to disenfranchise military votes. In tis case all should have equal opportunity to vote, but....

It's called Election Day for a reason, don't see any reason to have any early voting.

I personally don't see that as a valid argument in todays environment for example our "election day" is always a Saturday but it was chosen at a time when every one worked a Monday to Friday job now a M-F job is almost unheard of outside office workers and you have people on shifts that run from 6am-6pm which makes voting a PITA, allowing for a few days of voting would be more suitable for a modern society.

Hell I can't see any problem with mail voting, we elect our city administration that way not national admins, as far as early voting you see no reason have any early voting unless you are deployed overseas you mean?

Surely you would agree that putting systems in place that get more people voting is of far more importance to a democracy than holding on to the name "election day".

Last edited:
I personally don't see that as a valid argument in todays environment for example our "election day" is always a Saturday but it was chosen at a time when every one worked a Monday to Friday job now a M-F job is almost unheard of outside office workers and you have people on shifts that run from 6am-6pm which makes voting a PITA, allowing for a few days of voting would be more suitable for a modern society.

Hell I can't see any problem with mail voting, we elect our city administration that way not national admins, as far as early voting you see no reason have any early voting unless you are deployed overseas you mean?

Surely you would agree that putting systems in place that get more people voting is of far more importance to a democracy than holding on to the name "election day".
Most people in N.Z. work 12 hour shifts? Election Day here is usually on a 2nd Tuesday, always has been a work day. Early voting here is going to a Polling Place & casting a vote, same hours as on Election Day, on a work day, just a few days or so before the actual Day. If you are deployed or otherwise going to be out of town, you get an Absentee Ballot & send it in. Absentee Ballot & Early Voting are different things.

Most people in N.Z. work 12 hour shifts? Election Day here is usually on a 2nd Tuesday, always has been a work day. Early voting here is going to a Polling Place & casting a vote, same hours as on Election Day, on a work day, just a few days or so before the actual Day. If you are deployed or otherwise going to be out of town, you get an Absentee Ballot & send it in. Absentee Ballot & Early Voting are different things.

Again though what does it matter if voting is extended?
Just the argument that "it is called election day" really is kind of petty when the important thing is not the day itself but the act of voting and getting people out to vote and in my opinion the best way to do that it is to make it easier for them to get out or if you want to adopt a more negative approach remove reasons they can't vote.

People do not show up to vote to maintain "voting day" they turn out to elect the people that are going to run a country and exercise a right therefore time is somewhat irrelevant.

Last edited:
Back