Enola Gay, heroism or insanity?

Nail on the head on that one,

The glory and joy to be seen in WW 2 is the victory over murderous regimes who were out for domination by force of there neighbors.

But hey let's look in context, we do that exact same thing now in the West and even by countries of the east now financially.

Nothing the US or any other western power has done since WW2 can ever even begin to compare to the horrors perpetrated by the Nazi's during WW2. Their crimes stand out as singular, calculated and horrific in nature as pointed out earlier. One can scarcely imagine the extermination of the Slav's from the European portion of the USSR had they won, in the name of Lebensraum and the new order.

Nothing the US or any other western power has done since WW2 can ever even begin to compare to the horrors perpetrated by the Nazi's during WW2. Their crimes stand out as singular, calculated and horrific in nature as pointed out earlier. One can scarcely imagine the extermination of the Slav's from the European portion of the USSR had they won, in the name of Lebensraum and the new order.

I am talking about expanding spheres of political influence.

Please read my last sentiments. At no point did I justify that behavior, nor say I would be happier if they had won. Soley looking at what happened.

I am happy the West and the Soviet Allies were victorious, for me that is the best outcome we could have hoped for. But I think you missed my main focus here, yes the Nazis and Imperial Japanese tried to control the world by force.

But there is a reason several empires went into WW2 and only 3 major ones came out.

National Evolution. Adapt or die,

If you want to have your extent span the globe in the modern world, genocide rape and plunder is not the way to do it.

Things changed, are changing even today and the outcome of WW 2 will not restrict the orientation of society's center forever. Even now we are struggling to preserve it.

I am talking about expanding spheres of political influence.

Please read my last sentiments. At no point did I justify that behavior, nor say I would be happier if they had won. Soley looking at what happened.

I am happy the West and the Soviet Allies were victorious, for me that is the best outcome we could have hoped for. But I think you missed my main focus here, yes the Nazis and Imperial Japanese tried to control the world by force.

But there is a reason several empires went into WW2 and only 3 major ones came out.

National Evolution. Adapt or die,

If you want to have your extent span the globe in the modern world, genocide rape and plunder is not the way to do it.

Things changed, are changing even today and the outcome of WW 2 will not restrict the orientation of society's center forever. Even now we are struggling to preserve it.

The influence of the major European empires took a down turn in the years following WW2. Many of the colonials actively participated in the allied war effort (India, Philippines, Indochina, etc.) and didn't want to return to colonial rule (status que) after the war.

As for the US we still have by far and away the top military. We've slipped as a financial world leader. This has much to do with the fact that the people who have the money have invested it overseas. A generation ago this wasn't the case. We have also borrowed heavily from are so called friends in Asia (as you pointed out) to pay for our growing deficit. Personally I think the US would do better to invest in it's own dear self and use our resources to the fullest. However the present powers to be see it otherwise.
Also the days when the US can act as global police officers should be curtained to a degree as we spend a fortune on such efforts and generally gain little in return. I always support the troops and think the present raids on ISIS and the war against Al Qaeda_Taliban are justified.

My point about the Nazi was not that you supported them or the evils or Imperial Japan. My point is that they were not just another group of killers of which histories is full of. They were a worse case study of evil in action.

I think the US would do better to invest in it's own dear self and use our resources to the fullest. However the present powers to be see it otherwise.
Also the days when the US can act as global police officers should be curtained to a degree as we spend a fortune on such efforts and generally gain little in return.

I agree to this on many points, I feel we should find out place in the world but work on securing a domestic future before struggling to hold the barbarians back at the gates of foreign countries that do not understand our morals or rightly choose to use their own to judge their society.

Let's face it, we most likely will not be the world trend setter for the later part of the 21st century, focusing our local development and refining current issues here at home is both logical, economical to a point and sound.

Especially in a world of either peaking or near peaking mass consumerist economys and coming debt bubble coupled to a aging and failing banking system.

Looking here to help set up for a dimmer future would do wonders to preserving a quality of life worth living.

Back