Enlistment Questions - Page 2

--

February 25th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamm
Roger that, given I want Infantry, in your own opinion, how long do you think it'd take me to earn a Bachelor's?
And those online courses are like regular ol' colleges, right? As in, I can get a minor or two if I want, or a double major...etc?
Thanks again,
Lamm
Well, you probably won't have time to take a full course load, especially to start, so a lot will depend on a) your major b) what type of computer access you'll have on average c) how well you manage your time and the kicker d) your job and the military. There are so many different things that could happen, it's hard to say. I've seen it done in three years, but I would put the average closer to five or so. With the online degree programs becoming more prevalent, things are going a lot more smoothly.

The thing is, if you really want something, you'll find a way to get it done.

Most programs will let you minor/double major, you'd have to check to be sure. A lot of that depends on how you set your courses up, too. I would focus on getting one useful degree to start, you'll have plenty of time to go back and pad your education later.
February 26th, 2006  
Lamm

You're right, it'll all work out, I'll get it done. Hey, thanks again for the help.
Lamm
February 26th, 2006  
jedi078

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24

Have you ever looked at the American Military University? I haven't not taking any courses through them, but I know several guys that have/are and they have nothing but good things to say.
Problem with AMU is that while the courses are great you will have trouble transfering them to another school. Myself and a few other Marines had this probelm back in 2003. Things may have changed since then.

I suggest go though Universty of Pheonix Online, the only problem with this school is that you have to be online a 4 out of seven days a waeek and make substatial(sp) postings in order to be "particpating".

This means UOP is not that great for Marines who go to the feild a lot, which as grunt/enginner you would.

Next....

If you want to go into Combat Enginneers you will have to sign up for the "Infantry support option". This could mean they could put you in Tank's, AAV's Artillery, or CE's.

I know this because that is the very contract I signed up on (I wanted Tanks but ended up being an AAV crewman). So read the fine print.

Next peice of advice....

If you goal is collage, don't go into a combat MOS, odds are as a Marine if/when you get deployed to Iraq you WILL be forward deployed (well isn't just about everone?) .

SO, take the ASVAB and try to get a tech/support type job (Air wing, Logistics, Admin etc). Not only will you have skills that more usefull upon completing your enlistment, but you have abetter likllyhood of having time to go to school.

Last.....
The USMC has what are called MCI's you can use these to fill up a lot of your lower level (1st two years) elective credits. Find out which of these give college credit (boot camp will give you 4) and do them. This way you can concentrate on your "core courses" (english, History, Math, etc) instead of elective courses.
--
February 26th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi078
Problem with AMU is that while the courses are great you will have trouble transfering them to another school. Myself and a few other Marines had this probelm back in 2003. Things may have changed since then.

I suggest go though University of Phoenix Online, the only problem with this school is that you have to be online a 4 out of seven days a waeek and make substatial(sp) postings in order to be "particpating".

This means UOP is not that great for Marines who go to the feild a lot, which as grunt/enginner you would.
AMU is about to receive their national accreditation (they were in the process of applying for it back in '03), so that won't be a problem very soon.

University of Phoenix Online is very expensive, more expensive than most schools that have online programs now. Many of their credits do not transfer to other universities either. I started there, and realized it would be a complete waste of time and money. I could just as easily attend LSU, MSU, BC and a ton of other well known universities online, pay far less and my credits would transfer to almost anywhere.

There are a ton of Universities that have online programs now, but they aren't as advertised as UofP.

Quote:
If you want to go into Combat Enginneers you will have to sign up for the "Infantry support option". This could mean they could put you in Tank's, AAV's Artillery, or CE's.

I know this because that is the very contract I signed up on (I wanted Tanks but ended up being an AAV crewman). So read the fine print.
This question is for my own edification, but doesn't the Marine Corps guarantee the occupational field? So if he signed for the 1300 field, wouldn't he be up for any one of these jobs and no other?

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/13.htm

Quote:
If you goal is collage, don't go into a combat MOS, odds are as a Marine if/when you get deployed to Iraq you WILL be forward deployed (well isn't just about everone?) .

SO, take the ASVAB and try to get a tech/support type job (Air wing, Logistics, Admin etc). Not only will you have skills that more usefull upon completing your enlistment, but you have abetter likllyhood of having time to go to school.
I'm in combat arms as well as under a few of those squirrelly commands. A ton of our guys find time to go to college despite being deployed (yes, forward) and TDY (often to less than stellar places) most of the year. Certainly it is more difficult, and you can't take the course load some of the support guys can, but it is very possible. Sort of like the old cliche "where there is a will, there is a way." You just have to be realistic about it and realize you're in the military, the mission comes first, everything else second. So if there is a hiccup, and you have to put off school for a few months or so, you deal with it and pick it back up when you can.

The thing is, if your heart is really set on infantry, and you take a support job, most likely you're not going to be fulfilled. College is something you can always do, certain jobs in the military aren't.

I've seen far too many people in jobs they hate, stuck for 2, 3, 4 or more years.

The best thing to do is always go with what you feel is going to be better for you, long term, short term, do what is going to make you happy. The last thing you want is to look back on your life with regrets. It's all in what YOU want.

Quote:
The USMC has what are called MCI's you can use these to fill up a lot of your lower level (1st two years) elective credits. Find out which of these give college credit (boot camp will give you 4) and do them. This way you can concentrate on your "core courses" (English, History, Math, etc) instead of elective courses.
Good point, I forgot to bring that up. Depending on where you go to school, a lot of what you do counts as credits. I got a ton for all of my training.
February 26th, 2006  
jedi078

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ24
This question is for my own edification, but doesn't the Marine Corps guarantee the occupational field? So if he signed for the 1300 field, wouldn't he be up for any one of these jobs and no other?
From what I have been able to gather and the way I understand it, the USMC goes with “options” for two reasons:

1) When you get out of Boot camp and go to MCT then go to MOS school you may have missed your “school” window due to an injury or going on recruiter’s assistance. Then again you could be on recruiter’s assistance in order to catch your schools window.
2) Schools don’t necessarily run year round, and the Marine Corps does not want somebody waiting several months for their MOS school to open a class just because the contract states they have to go through a certain MOS school. The Marine would be doing working parties for months, painting rocks, which just plain sucks. The USMC is not going to want that Marine paint rocks for months; they want him/her to go through an MOS school and be part of the Fleet Marine Corps.

Hopefully someone who is or has been a USMC recruiter can speak up and correct me, if I am wrong.

Also, no offense to recruiters but there job is to get men and weapon to go to boot camp, it’s like making a sale and some will “make the sale” any way they can.
March 1st, 2006  
AJChenMPH

Out of curiosity, what's preventing you (Lamm) from applying to the Naval Academy or a college with Navy ROTC (other than the fact that you're behind the curve deadline-wise for Fall 2006 entry) as a Marine midshipman? Theoretically, you'd have the best of both worlds: going to college full-time on the Marines' dime, and then going on full-time active duty as an officer when you're done with school.
March 2nd, 2006  
Marinerhodes

AJ has a good point.

Also, MCIs are a good way to fill lower level college credits. I ran into the same problem with Colorado Tech University Online. Come to find out half or so of my credits would not be transferable. Had to spend a few nights a week attending a lecture "chat" etc and it just got to be a pain. So I disenrolled and now owe them $800 for materials. Better than the 25k a year I would have had to pay for a degree that would not have been much better than useless.

As for the MOS, I know of many Marines in the "supply/support" side that stayed a month or so on "camp guard" waiting on a class to start because the classes were overbooked.

Best bet is find what you want to do and do not take no for an answer. I would suggest you find a job that has a corresponding field in the civilian world just in case.

If you want to play the system a little wait until Oct 1. That starts the new year for job openings and many more jobs will have an open field and you can pick and choose alot easier.
March 2nd, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, If you want to take up the Scholarship, you must consider VERY CAREFULLY first! You don't want to risk paying them a huge penalty sum!
March 5th, 2006  
A Can of Man

In my unit (Republic of Korea Marine Corps NBC Support) the boss is the Sergeant Major. The Captain... everyone hates him and he's just decoration. The gunnery sergeants and the Sergeant Major run the unit.
March 5th, 2006  
zander_0633

Oh! I think every country is diffrent!