Enhanced Paveway™ II on Spanish F/A-18

rock45

I think this shows what a weapon this is the Enhanced Paveway is and what an aircraft the Hornet is as a mid to light striker. For Spain a country who is a part of the Typhoon aircraft program invests into a older platform shows what a complete package it is. Myself I would have assumed the Spanish Hornets to be retired over a period of time in favor of the Typhoon. You only read positive things from all the Hornet users and most want to buy more. Spain I believe bought in two batches first new order and then I think ex-USN A/B models to add to their fleet, somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Raytheon Completes Integration of Enhanced Paveway™ II on Spanish F/A-18

PRNewswire
TUCSON, Ariz., Oct. 14
(NYSE:RTN)
TUCSON, Ariz., Oct. 14, 2008 /PRNewswire/ -- The Spanish military and Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) completed a joint venture that integrated the combat-proven Enhanced Paveway II 1,000 pound GBU-48 on Spain's F/A-18 Hornet strike aircraft.
"Spain's contributions to NATO operations and other contingencies will improve with the addition of EP2," said Maj. Rafael Gomez-Blanco, the Spanish Air Force's EP2 integration lead. "Enhanced Paveway II combines unmatched precision, accuracy and standoff range with affordability and ease of integration."
The integration effort, which culminated in the EP2 achieving six out of six successful drops during flight testing, was the result of close collaboration between the Spanish Air Force and Raytheon.
"Raytheon has extensive experience partnering with international customers, and we've worked hard to build a close relationship with the Spanish military," said Harry Schulte, vice president of Raytheon Missile System's Air Warfare Systems. "We learned a lot about integrating EP2 on the F/A-18 from the professionals in the Spanish Air Force, and we plan to use that expertise going forward."
Raytheon Company, with 2007 sales of $21.3 billion, is a technology leader specializing in defense, homeland security and other government markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 86 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as a broad range of mission support services. With headquarters in Waltham, Mass., Raytheon employs 72,000 people worldwide.
Note to Editors:
Enhanced Paveway weapon systems are currently providing operational flexibility and precision against a broad range of requirements and target sets in the ongoing global war on terror.
Enhanced Paveway II is an affordable all-weather dual mode GPS/laser- guided precision munition that has successfully been used in combat by the U.K.'s Royal Air Force during Operation Southern Watch and Operation Enduring Freedom.

Link
http://raytheon.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1102

I wonder why they're investing more in that when they can switch over to JDAM and get a better bang for the buck.

Back