Enhanced Interrogation and the "torture memos" - Page 6

--
Enhanced Interrogation and the "torture memos"

June 12th, 2009  
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedustboo
Having the ability to torture wouldn't be useless though, because people would just spill their guts before they were tortured, wouldn't they?

I don't know the minds of terrorists and criminals but I'd talk before being tortured if I knew having someone torture me would be an option for them.

I'm not excited about the idea of torture, nor do I think it should be widely used, however I am frightened of the idea that it will be GONE forever and how people will walk all over us.

p.s. God says He loves me the way I are.

p.s.s. I am tired of being drawn and quartered about this whole Christianity thing. I am pretty sure you are leaning towards torture.
Pixie, if you're going to torture me I'll tell you want to hear - I did kill **** Robin & yes it was me on the grassy knoll - does that let me off? No? what else do you want to know, because I'll make it up as I go along. Torture is wrong, by any measurement of humanity. It is not something that you can do a little bit of.

I am seriously concerned because the argument keeps coming up, what if the prisoner had vital information that could save other lives. Do you realise how long it takes to properley torture someone? How to find their weak spots, set their mind into one of total fear? By the time you've done that the event has more than likely happened, so as Senjo says you're just having fun, might as well put it on PPV.
June 12th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Pixie, you misread my point as you only read half.
I said that although torture may lead to saving a few more lives, it means we have to contradict a lot of things that we have already decided as unethical. Many countries who do use torture live under the gun far more seriously than the United States does, yet the US condemns torture in many of those countries. If America tortures key prisoners when the stakes are even lower it basically classifies itself as a bad country.
Like I've already said, the US has classified waterboarding as torture and has tried many people under that ruling.
I think it is important that we be the good guys. What do you think the average German soldier was guilty of in World War II? Yet because the country they were serving for was without question bad, they do not get the sort of treatment that allied veterans of World War II get.
I don't want the same to happen to us. I would rather die with my name and service honored than live knowing that the people I fight against are better than the people I serve and protect.
June 13th, 2009  
pixiedustboo

Mm, okay, I'm tired of arguing about it. I'll just keep to my opinions and you may keep to yours.
--
June 13th, 2009  
rattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedustboo
+1

I don't support being the "nice guy" and taking one for the team because we might not be viewed as "the good guys" anymore.

I'd rather our government tortured those they knew had something to hide than to sit back and watch as innocent people are killed.

I say torture away. This world would be a better place if bad guys feared [us] more...imho.
Just wondering what you would say if they tortured you though you had not done nothing except being in the wrong place at the wrong time and got sold for a few bucks as a "top terrorist" by your "friends" (i.e. being *perfectly* innocent)???

There is no other way than to do the *right* thing, whatever the cost, in lives (I wopuld value *your* life in above scenario as high as that of a service man, that is what we are there for), dollars or whatever...

If you donīt follow up on your pretenses, you might win battles, but will lose the war.

It is the beliefs and morale that win you the wars in the end.

My 2c,

Rattler
June 13th, 2009  
senojekips

^^^ 10/10^^^

You get my vote Rattler.
June 14th, 2009  
Lunatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler
Just wondering what you would say if they tortured you though you had not done nothing except being in the wrong place at the wrong time and got sold for a few bucks as a "top terrorist" by your "friends" (i.e. being *perfectly* innocent)???

There is no other way than to do the *right* thing, whatever the cost, in lives (I wopuld value *your* life in above scenario as high as that of a service man, that is what we are there for), dollars or whatever...

If you donīt follow up on your pretenses, you might win battles, but will lose the war.

It is the beliefs and morale that win you the wars in the end.

My 2c,

Rattler
Agree with Spike, very well said Rattler.
June 14th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Same. On board with both Spike and Rattler.