England's Government at it's best again...

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
Here’s one which should set everyone’s blood boiling:
When a group of elderly residents noticed unsightly graffiti had been sprayed on to a wall at the bottom of their gardens, they hoped their local council would do something to tidy it up.
So they were astounded when, instead of finding the culprits, bureaucrats threatened to haul them before the courts and fine them £1,000 for failing to clear it up themselves.
Many of the pensioners, living in Prestwich, Greater Manchester, were reduced to tears after receiving stern warning letters from a Bury Council official warning them they had 21 days to remove the vandalism or face prosecution.
Here’s the interesting part of this. Suppose these good folks do clean up the graffiti, only to find the scum vandals just do it again.

And let’s assume they actually catch a couple of these twerps, and cuff them on the side of the head. What do you think will happen?

That’s a rhetorical question, of course: under current British law, the pensioners would be prosecuted for assault.

There’s only one thing to do in this case: hang the entire town council from the town lamp posts refuse to pay any fines, en masse, and let the government prosecute the entire street.

Sometimes, collective action (or, in this case, inaction) is all that’s left.

5.56, i live right near there. In the same borough. Can you find them cleaning up graffiti? can you buggery. It's not called "rough" for nothing.

(i suppose not cleaning up Graff is good for genuine artists though)

The fines for littering in the UK (and presumably graffiti) are some of the most draconian in the developed world, but local authorities have different attitudes to enforcement. Where they have bothered there have been some real improvements.

When writer Bill Bryson first came to Britain in 1972 he was, by his own account, "instantly smitten". "A big part of what appealed to me about Britain was how tidy it was, how orderly, how civilised," Bryson says. "I'd never been to a place that was so manicured and so loved." But in Panorama: Notes from a Dirty Island it is apparent that more than 30 years on, the honeymoon is well and truly over: "It's just not the place that I fell in love with," Bryson now says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00d1z0b/

Back