England: No More Raptors Needed

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
DefenseNews.com
January 28, 2008 By John T. Bennett
PASCAGOULA, Miss. — Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England defended his position that the U.S. Air Force needs no more than 187 F-22 Raptors, saying several Pentagon studies have concluded that number is sufficient to tackle future threats.
In recent months, senior Air Force officials have intensified their public campaign for 381 of the Lockheed Martin-made fighters. Senior Pentagon officials recently approved an Air Force plan to purchase four more Raptors, a move that will bring the planned buy to 191 warplanes. In a Jan. 14 letter to Rep. Phil Gingrey, R-Ga., England said the Department of Defense intends to keep the Lockheed Martin production line running via a 2009 supplemental funding request for more planes to replace war-related losses.
But sources with knowledge of internal Pentagon discussions say England has blocked the air service’s attempts to substantially increase the currently planned buy.
“All of the analysis points supports the fact that that is the right number … so that is the number we’re going to build,” England said under gloomy skies following a chilly christening ceremony for a new Navy destroyer here. “I know there are people who would like to build more, but we can’t support that by our analysis.”
Rumors have swirled for weeks about studies by England’s office of just how many Raptors will be needed. Sources have said those studies put the number at more than 190.
England denied that.
“That’s not the case. The analysis by the Department of Defense supports the right number is 180-something airplanes,” he said.
England said the decision to buy four more Raptors using supplemental funding would likely be the Bush administration’s final tinkering with the program. He noted it will be up to the next administration to decide whether to expand the buy closer to the 381 fighters the Air Force wants.

England was SECNAV before ascending to DepSecDef - I'm sure he's still more Navy-centric than he'd like to admit. As much as I'm in favor of more funding for the Navy, let's get some decent aircraft in the sky.

Assuming the Air Force buys more F-35's, which the Air Force doesn't want to in any real roll. From what I understand, the Air Force wants to buy more F-22's instead of the F-35 and shift the F-15 to a ground attack role, costing about the same amount as the plan being rammed through by the White House, but giving the Air Force double the number of the world's most advanced air superiority fighter.

If the Osprey can get clearance to enter service I am sure an aircraft with almost thirty years of use under its wings will do just fine. The F-15 was grounded because of what, two instances in a six-month period?

Back