England axe Becks

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006370109,00.html

DAVID BECKHAM has been axed by Steve McClaren — on the day England’s new boss named John Terry as skipper.

Beckham resigned as captain after the nation’s World Cup flop.
And now he is out of the squad altogether for next Wednesday’s friendly with Greece.
Becks had ankle and knee strains after the tournament in Germany but has been training again for more than a week.

He played for Real Madrid in a friendly against DC United in Seattle on Wednesday but clearly has a fight ahead for his international future.
Terry, 25, cried tears of joy after being named as skipper.
The Chelsea captain admitted: “It’s the ultimate honour.”
Terry was overcome with emotion after McClaren told him of his appointment.
A close pal said: “John was delighted and couldn’t believe it. It means so much to him and to everyone around him. He thought Steven Gerrard was going to get it.”
Terry, who will be in charge against Greece, added: “I am very proud to be given this great opportunity.
“It is an incredible challenge and one I am looking forward to.”
Liverpool skipper Gerrard was named vice-captain.

McClaren insisted: “Choosing a captain is one of the most important decisions a coach has to make. “I’m certain I’ve got the right man in John Terry. I’m convinced he will prove to be one of the best captains England has ever had. “John has all the attributes a captain needs — leadership, authority, courage, ability, tactical awareness and a total refusal to accept second best. “Steven Gerrard was a strong candidate and will be my vice-captain.

“He is another superb club skipper who leads by example.” England hitman Wayne Rooney reckons Terry is a top choice to take over the armband from Beckham.

The Manchester United star said: “JT is a leader on the pitch. He has been a great captain for Chelsea and, hopefully, can continue that for England.”
Gerrard said: “I’d like to congratulate John. He’ll do a great job.”
Beckham’s KO is good news for Spurs’ Aaron Lennon, who looks sure to start down the right against the Greeks.
West Ham’s Dean Ashton will be named in England’s squad today and could play a part.

Back