Enemy at the gates

PrecisionSniper said:
IS the movie really true to its sources? did the russians really charge during stalingrad
While some units when they arrived in Stalingrad did go straight into the attack, there wasn't any shortage of infantry weapons, so unlike in the movie they would have all had weapons ( while unarmed troops being sent into battle did happen in Russia in WW1, to my knowledge it didn't happen in WW2)

early in the battle Russia was having severe weapons and man shortage, i dont know about the handing out of rifles like that, but im sure it could have happened. it was pretty early in the attack when the russian sniper was sent there, so yeah, charging is a possibilty, russia wasnt against throwing their men into the attack like that.

The one thing i like about that movie is that it has the russians as protagonists, and not from a U.S. prospective.

The actual duel was much shorter and the Major Kulikov (who was with Vassili the guy shot in the head in the movie during theyre jump) wasnt ever killed, he did hold up the helmet and the german shot it and vassili shot him in turn. the fact of the charging and stuff was quite true... you should read the book Enemy at the gates, though there are only about 4 pages of Vassili, o and the boy sacha, who was 15 in real life did not work for vassili, but was hung in the square by german officers, because he sold secrets to the russian army of german status, positions, plans.

overall it was a good movie though, espcaially the crossing of the volga river despite waht my russian friend says: it isnt true

I was very disappointed in the movie.

It started out with a lot of promise. That scene when the doors of the train carriage opened and all the soldiers just stared in disbelief at the carnage before their eyes was unforgettable.

Some of the battle sequences were very good but the love story just turned me off!

I couldn't wait for it to finish.

then check out the movie " stalingrad" its very realstic, so young kids should watch it's grusome bloodyness and human body parts flying...

I've seen Stalingrad. It was very real and meaningful. Especially the final scene, so very sad (I won't give it away). As for Enemy at the gates, I've been lead to believe that there was no sniper sent to hunt for Vasilli, and that was just a rumor, as there are no records of this being done.

IMO and knowledge the Russian's did charge with little weapons and there was a shortage of weapons but, later on they attained weapons and help from the Red Army. It is all true that people that retreated were shot by own men. That movie really shows most of what Soviet Union had experienced.

drilldownmaster2004 said:
Pearl Harbor? I thought we were talking military history, not love story
Hollywood can't do a war film without a love story, even Midway had one :roll:

AussieNick said:
Hollywood can't do a war film without a love story, even Midway had one

How about Platoon, or Full Metal Jacket.

Hmmmm, maybe they had a love/hate story line to them.

Oliver Stone was not very famous and Platoon was quite small-budget back then and Kubrick OTHO had his own production company.

But it's really irritating when you have movies such as Enemy at the Gates where the lovestory is almost inserted to the movie, like the only thing that would make the movie succesful is a romance. :roll:

that shortage of weapons is true.
also that they were shot by their polit officers, when retreating.
But the figure of Major König didnt exist.

Back