Enemy at the gates

--

November 6th, 2004  
MadeInChina

Topic: Enemy at the gates

IS the movie really true to its sources? did the russians really charge during stalingrad
November 7th, 2004  
redcoat

Topic: Re: Enemy at the gates

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionSniper
IS the movie really true to its sources? did the russians really charge during stalingrad
While some units when they arrived in Stalingrad did go straight into the attack, there wasn't any shortage of infantry weapons, so unlike in the movie they would have all had weapons ( while unarmed troops being sent into battle did happen in Russia in WW1, to my knowledge it didn't happen in WW2)
November 7th, 2004  
lundin

early in the battle Russia was having severe weapons and man shortage, i dont know about the handing out of rifles like that, but im sure it could have happened. it was pretty early in the attack when the russian sniper was sent there, so yeah, charging is a possibilty, russia wasnt against throwing their men into the attack like that.
--
November 7th, 2004  
Trevor

The one thing i like about that movie is that it has the russians as protagonists, and not from a U.S. prospective.
November 7th, 2004  
Aguy201

The actual duel was much shorter and the Major Kulikov (who was with Vassili the guy shot in the head in the movie during theyre jump) wasnt ever killed, he did hold up the helmet and the german shot it and vassili shot him in turn. the fact of the charging and stuff was quite true... you should read the book Enemy at the gates, though there are only about 4 pages of Vassili, o and the boy sacha, who was 15 in real life did not work for vassili, but was hung in the square by german officers, because he sold secrets to the russian army of german status, positions, plans.
November 7th, 2004  
MadeInChina

overall it was a good movie though, espcaially the crossing of the volga river despite waht my russian friend says: it isnt true
November 8th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

The true identity of Major Konig is still up in the air.
November 8th, 2004  
Young Winston

I was very disappointed in the movie.

It started out with a lot of promise. That scene when the doors of the train carriage opened and all the soldiers just stared in disbelief at the carnage before their eyes was unforgettable.

Some of the battle sequences were very good but the love story just turned me off!

I couldn't wait for it to finish.
November 10th, 2004  
CavScout

I enjoyed it. It definitely is from a different view point.
November 10th, 2004  
MadeInChina

then check out the movie " stalingrad" its very realstic, so young kids should watch it's grusome bloodyness and human body parts flying...