Enemy at the gates - Page 5

--

February 6th, 2005  
Whispering Death

This movie SUCKED. It would have been better if they would have just told the TURE story of the sniper duel instead of hollywooding it up and making it crap.
February 6th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Problem is that even the "true" story is murky because they cannot positively identify the German sniper. And that's a strange thing when it comes to the German army.
February 6th, 2005  
Snauhi

You have only seen the movie but I was born there
--
February 6th, 2005  
gingerbeard

holloywood wanted to make money rather than making it accurate. just look at Troy, how unaccurate from the actual sstroy is.

probably the truth is less beautiful, therefore attracting less customers, eg. the girls.
February 6th, 2005  
Whispering Death

What I'm saying is the real story is BETTER than the BS story they madeup in Enemy at the Gates.
February 6th, 2005  
Snauhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
What I'm saying is the real story is BETTER than the BS story they madeup in Enemy at the Gates.
of course.
February 7th, 2005  
Locke

what do you expect?? its hollywood, of course they are going to use artistic license.
they couldn' stiick to a story if they were paid
February 8th, 2005  
MadeInChina

ive seen a movie about stalingrad, its not pretty

yup, true hollywood mod
February 8th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

For most items of accuracy, "Enemy At the Gates" does a very poor job. It seems to try to tell a tale of vastly superior technology (Germany) vs primitive technology (the USSR). Germany has tanks and Russia doesn't. Germany is well equipped with machine guns and Russia fights with rifles not enough of them. Germany has aircraft and Russia doesn't. Etc, etc, etc. Now there were times when the Red Army was undersupplied, but that was also often true for the Germans too.

The biggest advantages that Germany had were better trained, more experienced soldiers and better commanders. Technologically, Russia was better in some areas and Germany was better in some. No overwhelming advantage to either side. And Russia always had more tanks at their disposal than Germany.
February 9th, 2005  
MadeInChina

ya, very strange when i saw soldiers with half-capacities rifles cahrging at machiengun posts

when i saw it the first word that popped into my head was: sucide

in fact, the soviests rarely charged during those months of fighting, they fought defensively, and never retreated, they employed flank and other tactics of advance to recapture areas of the city

for example, mamalv hill changed hands 4 times a day.

the reality was that if charging was done, it was done with some form of tactic and staategy and soldiers are armed with submachineguns