Enemy at the gates - Page 4

--

December 9th, 2004  
MadeInChina

which are you talking about, because im talking about stalingrad, by the time of operation uranus, the soviet iindustry settled basicaly amd produced enough machines to keep their numbers up. they had a definet advantage over germans in artillery, tanks, and their air forces are gathering up a storm.

strategy is also very important, such as the pincer movement to contain the 6th army,,..

Though not entirelly on the soviet side, the germans fought back bravely and the russians usually suffered heavy casluties despite the fact that hey are overwelming in artillery...
December 9th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Topic: Re: Enemy at the gates

Yes.
It was pretty much Russia's best tactic. What did they have that the Germans didn't? An almost inexhaustible supply of replacements.
And it's also true about that machine gun. It was for their own guys who would come running back. It was the only way to get those mass numbers to charge like that to the last man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak88
IS the movie really true to its sources? did the russians really charge during stalingrad
December 26th, 2004  
LIBERTY

From what I researched there was plenty of snipers around Stalingrad, the Major and the guy from the USSR. Also there was women snipers there too for example Lyudmila Pavlichenko with 300+ kills. For the shortage of man power I'm not sure what to believe, numerous sources says there was a shortage and others say the opposite. Though there was a shortage of arms in that battle leaving men to charge at the enemy weaponless. I dont think noone really knows what happened there beside the very few who survived.Oh it is also said if you go to Stalingrad and look around and in the city you can find splinters of metal and bone.
--
December 27th, 2004  
A Can of Man

With the amount of life lost there, I wouldn't be surprised if you found stuff in the surrounding areas of the city.
Yeah, the Soviets used lots of snipers. And dudes running without guns.
December 28th, 2004  
Aguy201

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNick
I've seen Stalingrad. It was very real and meaningful. Especially the final scene, so very sad (I won't give it away). As for Enemy at the gates, I've been lead to believe that there was no sniper sent to hunt for Vasilli, and that was just a rumor, as there are no records of this being done.

Theres proof read the book 3 pages of proof but the movie really dragged it out, it was like if today the military sent a sniper to kill an enemy pot shooter and the sniper got a round in the head so we still get pot shot...

Ive seen Stalingrad, good movie.
December 28th, 2004  
Aguy201

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Yes.
It was pretty much Russia's best tactic. What did they have that the Germans didn't? An almost inexhaustible supply of replacements.
And it's also true about that machine gun. It was for their own guys who would come running back. It was the only way to get those mass numbers to charge like that to the last man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak88
IS the movie really true to its sources? did the russians really charge during stalingrad
oh ya, "In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance" < Josef Stalin Evil Bas... Soviet Dictator WW2.
January 6th, 2005  
victortsoi

[quote="the_13th_redneck"]Yes.

um, no, my grandfather was there, in the red army(sniper with 45 kills in teh battle), they were usually involved in streetfighting not any charging like in the movie. and they were patriotic, saying they feared getting executed is anti-soviet propaganda. i mean, the soviets sure deserve a lot of flak for all the **** they pulled in their time on earth, but, dont lie and say most soviet troops in wwii were scared of officers.

PS-dont confuse regular soviet army with the penal battalions, indeed, sometimes penal battalions (made up of criminals and other "hopeless" cases were ordered to charge like that, or to clear minefields, but this was not used for the army proper)
January 6th, 2005  
Vitaly

Either way I enjoyed the Film. If for nothing else than for it being a major production based on the Eastern Front. I wish I could shed more light on the subject but the only members of my family that were at Stalingrad died fighting against the fascist invaders there.
January 9th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

You'll get no argument from me -- the Eastern Front of WW2 needs to get more attention. Nations and peoples tend to only care about things that their nation was directly involved with, thus the USA and its people are very interested is the WW2 minor sideshows: D-day, N Africa, etc.
February 6th, 2005  
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
You'll get no argument from me -- the Eastern Front of WW2 needs to get more attention. Nations and peoples tend to only care about things that their nation was directly involved with, thus the USA and its people are very interested is the WW2 minor sideshows: D-day, N Africa, etc.
Amen