End of tanks.

ACTaFOOL82

I think that the "tank era" is about over. They plainly have become obsolete. To the helicopter. One AH-64 Apache can take out a handful of tanks, and they can just sit there with their teeth in their mouth. Until the tanks can defend against an air attack I think they are obsolete, maybe even extinct someday.

Maybe tanks would be superior against a country with no helo's, but they are obsolete when the helicopters show up. I do know that some situations are very important for tanks, but thats only a few. Just watch the number of tanks to helicopters is going to get more lop sided as the years go by. :cowb:

Two words my friend: Combined Arms

A tank may be a sitting duck against helicopters and low performance aircraft on it’s own, but it has several offensive measures it can employ when the aircraft goes to nap of earth (NOE) to avoid SAMs. These surface to air missles are almost always organic to the motorized unit or mechanized unit.

Offense:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m2-50cal.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m943.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m830a1.htm

Defense:
http://www.defense-update.com/products/a/arena-e.htm

The tank will make something of a evolution, it will be more geared for urban support stuff. All out war is pretty much over, it's all about....

well, look at my sig. :twisted:

a tank is a awsome countr-siege weapon... if used correctly. Iraq just didn't know how to use their tankforces.

I think tanks still have their use in a combined arms situation.

I still see armor in use up to 50 years from now, even though technology gives us more anti-tank weapons, technology will also give us better armor for the tanks.

The only thing I see that would put an end to tanks is a small compact and accurate weapon that can fire long distance, smaller and more compact than any rpg or tow, preferably with multiple shots. Maybe something like a hyper-velocity magnetic pulse rifle, or laser, but by the time this is invented they will probably have force field for tanks.

There will always be a need for armor. There may not always be a need for armor in every situation but there will always be a need for it some where, some time. You'll be thankful for it if your ever using it for cover, guaranteed!

I honestly think tanks will never outlive their use.

They said that aobut horses... :D

Now, a tank is not a sitting duck against Helicopters. It can shoot back...And I have never seen a Helie that can take a 120mm to the face and keep flying.Also, Like the guys said, you need airsupport. The send their attack helies, fine, you send your fighters and clear the sky. Lets have a look at the 1982 war in Lebanon. Both the Syrians and Israelis used attack helies( Israel- MD500 Defender, Cobra. Syria-Gazelle). But Israel ruled the sky and shot down the Syrian choppers. Also, a few were shot down with AT missiles shot from AFVs...

Well a Tank can be improved and upgraded like a horse cannot. Really I think the IFV/Tank has taken over where the Horse left off. It's an extention of the same concept that has been taken to the next level.

In outer space at what level? Just orbital? Then tanks will still be around because ground combat will actually still be relevent.
If you mean like intergalactic... well there will be a land element to those.

Look at it this way, they have so many uses up to and including the warming of ones hands in the winter...... :D Now that.....will never be obsolete.... :) Seriously though, as long as there is action on the ground, you will need them.

Yes, you will need Tanks in one form or another. Maybe they will lose their gun and replace it with a missile launcher... who knows! But it'll still be a variation of a tank.
Only if you have those Battle Mechs running around will tanks be obsolete... and even in those games they have tanks because you can only afford so many gigantic robots!

Don't forget the fear factor also....when you hear one coming, whats the first thiing you do????? Start looking for cover.... :D At least until you figure out if it's yours or their's...and even if it's yours you may stay covered just so there is no friendly fire accident. That's one reasons Scouts used to be referred to as "Squishies" or "Crunchies"....either way its the sound you make as you get run over by a tank... :shock:

Back