The end of cheap oil and its global implications

loki

If you're not familiar with the whole peak oil problem you may want to read over http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubbert_peak_theory and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirsch_report
http://www.theglobaleducationproject.org/energy-supply.php

I know this is a very controversial subject so I'll try to accumulate some facts that everyone can agree on (cause they're facts!) :

- The yield of oil from any oil field does follow something like "bell curve" leaving out variations that are caused by economic/political events. Or even more simple: yields grow, reach a maximum and decline.

- New oil discoveries are declining. Since nearly 20 years annual consumption exceeds new findings. As of now by factor 4. (See below, annual discoveries are grey, the green bars mark big findings, blue line is annual consumption)
exploration.gif

- Noteworthy net oil producers like Norway and Mexico have reached their production peak in recent years. The total production by non-OPEC, non-FSU nations is declining. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves#Countries_that_have_already_passed_their_production_peak )

- Meanwhile, consumption by China and India is growing quickly:
china_india.gif

- Consumption by industrialized countries are stagnating on a high level or increasing (US):
OilConsumption_COTD200106.gif

----

So the countries that still have capcities (i.e. KSA, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait) have to make up both for the decreasing production by other countries and an increasing global demand. Given those premises I think its only logic that as soon as one or two of those major players reach their production peak it will no longer be possible to keep up with global demands and prices will go up drastically. Many countries (especially OPEC) keep data about their reserves and such as strictly confidential so its difficult to make any predictions.

Ecologically-motivated scientists including Hubbert himself have falsely predicted the peak to occur several times in the last few year. However some consulting companies that work for the petroindustry predict the peak to occur in the not-so-far future, between 2010 and 2020. Other theories also predict oil production to plateau for some years before declining.

Now I don't think a doomsday scenario as propagated by many eco-activists is probable. There are many alternatives to oil, as a source of energy in general, but also as a portable source of energy. (Hydrogen, natural gas, liquefaction of coal, fast breeder nuclear reactors, offshore windparks, solar energy, bio-fuel, etc.) However I think this will have a tremendous impact on the global economy. Some consequences that come to mind:

- Agricultural products: will become more expensive as modern agriculture relies heavily on cheap, available oil both for machinery, fertilizers and distribution. High prices for food often lead to a declining population.

- De-Globalisation: When transport costs increase dramatically it will become uneconomical for many products to be manufactured outside the country where they're to be sold. Cheap bycicles from India will be expensive bycicles when they arrive in German or U.S. ports. Even moreso for raw materials, foodstuff, etc.

- Exports of U.S., Japan, Germany and others that produce mainly high-value products may be less affected. They may still drop enough to cause recession.

- Local capacities for steel production and coal clearing might be reactivated because they suddenly become competitive.

- China/India: With less markets for simple/low-price products and less foreign investments, the economic growth of China and India might slow down considerably.

- Industry in developing countries in general: may be effected more than elsewhere because machinery there often has a low degree of efficiency, meaning more oil is used per product than elsewhere.

- Plastics products: will become more expensive too as they're mostly made from oil. Only rich kids will have action man figures.

I'd appreciate comments, especially on the consequences you would expect for your country in particular. Also any thoughts on power politics in such an environment. Or why you think this is all nonsense.

Last edited:
Oh man where do I begin.

I have been all over this subject since the first gulf war. After the war Ross Perot and John Kerry supported a 50 cent gas tax with all proceeds going to alternitive fuel technology. But the people of the UNited States, in our infinite wisdom, did not want to have anything to do with a gas tax. So we did nothing. Remember, gas was less than $1 a gallon. If the US had decided to enact that gas tax, we would be in a much better position right now.

The bell curve you speak of is known as Hubbert's Peak, the point where the world output of oil begins to decline. I am awaiting a book on the subject that I conned my university into buying for its library collection
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0809029561/sr=8-1/qid=1146197912/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-9076423-1403032?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I am quite tired, so I will speak only of the domestic economy here in the USA. I fear an economic depression when Hubbert's Peak hits. RIght now Americans are deep in debt. The average family has over $9,000 in credit card debt. Lets not even mention ARM and interest only morgages that have become so popular in the last few years. Anyways, if anyone has followed the news in the US, you will know the following. With gas prives at $3 a gallon, people are having trouble paying the increase fuel costs. I have watched a feew stories where pawn shops are seeing an increase in busness. People are pawning things to get quick cash for the gas tank. Lets not foirget the e-mail segment on cnn.com where people get to moan about how gas prices are hurting thier every day life. All this when gas is only at $3 a gallon. Another nastly little fact is that outstanding morgage and rent payments stand at 5%, a record here in the USA. Once Hubbert Peak hits, gas could easily see $6 a gallon. At least 40% of the USA lives paycheck to paycheck (meaning if they lost income, they could not pay the essential bills with in 2 weeks). What is going to happen to these people when gas will take an addition $100-$200 out of their budget...bad bad things.

I hate to be so dim, but many of the United States depressions and pannicks (before 1929, depressions were labeled as pannicks) were caused by Americans incurring a lot of debt inn good economic times. When those times went sour, there were a lot of people who went bankrupt. In my belief, the USA is headed for very bad times when gas prices soar.

Enough of my rambling, I am off to bed

Doody

Do you think that we will throw off the remaining vestiges of republican liberty and assume an overt empire to secure the means to sustain the American economy?

When faced with the moral dilemna of continuing a way of life what sacrifices will the American body politic endure?

I see this as a matter of crisis as well, a question of "when", not "if".

BD

Are you referring to wars for economic resources like how France and England duked it out for North America? If so I firmly believe the world will see a lot of military action around the middle east.

I am reading a book called "An Empire of Debt." The book calls the US an empire with our influence spead all over. However, unlike empires before our time, the USA is getting no economic benefit out of the deal. Oil might change that. Its food for thought but I really need sleep

Having read Adam Smith's treaties on empires as such and historical records all empires are actually a losing venture. And yes I am referring to small wars being fought for economic resources. And that the US will throw off the white hat and acknowledge and openly acquire and manage colonies. We did it with South Korea for 50 plus years by controlling the purse strings of their budget. What I refer to now would be a return to colonies in the traditional use of the word centered around oil production areas of the world.

I think that if history and psychology is to be our guide America will indeed commit some very dark acts in the future to sustain the lifestyle her citizenry have grown accustomed to.

Doody..

And yet the US Oil industry made a profit of over $1.1 Billion last year. So the news isnt all bad..at least for some.

All...

I have heard some theories that the US and China (and perhaps India) could get involved in a shooting war in the Middle East sometime in the next 20-30 years in order to control the precious scraps of oil left in the world. Espically considering the expanding demand for oil by the PRC.

Of course two other things could happen between then to prevent this

1. Hydrogen fuel cells (or some other fuel source) become standardized.

or

2. We keep scrapping for the little oil left until the Polar icecaps melt flooding half the planet and making the need for oil rather reduntant.

Last edited:
Back