EMPIRE: TOTAL WAR

mmarsh

Anybody waiting for this? For those not GEEK enough its a new RTS conquest game that will allow you to play a major European Power from about the early 1700's to just before Napoleon. This new installation will include the American war for independence as well as a brand new naval warfare engine.

Anybody remotely interested in wargames and/or 18th century warfare shoudl check it out. I have dusted off my old copy of Medieval 2: Total War in antipation.

The Trailer:

Last edited:
I was a big fan of Rome: Total war, I'm most looking forward to this game.

I hope it does not come out about the same time as Starcraft 2 though, cause then it'll have to take a back seat.

I was a big fan of Rome: Total war, I'm most looking forward to this game.

I hope it does not come out about the same time as Starcraft 2 though, cause then it'll have to take a back seat.

So am I, the website i looked at mentioned March.......... Medieval 2 was fantastic and I'm so looking forward to this next instalment, especially the naval combat :D

The other game I might grab, albeit on PS3 is Killzone 2

I have been licking my chops at the release of Empire Total War. But I will wait for the price to drop from its initial offering of $50-60. That is just too much for a game in my opinion.

Also who will guess that the last chapter in the total war series will have the American Civil WaR???

I have been licking my chops at the release of Empire Total War. But I will wait for the price to drop from its initial offering of $50-60. That is just too much for a game in my opinion.

Also who will guess that the last chapter in the total war series will have the American Civil WaR???

I agree its expensive, but I love the period so I think I am going to grumble and hand over the wad of cash.

Not so sure about the American Civil War. Frankly I am alittle confused on why SEGA/CA decided to end the era just BEFORE the Napoleonic era. I mean the game is called Empire: Total War right, how could they ignore the French Empire, one of the most dominate empires of the early 18th century? The missing US Civil War was abit of a mystery as well...

Then again CA is a UK developer and I know they have a preference for ancient military history.

My wager is that Napoleon will be a Add-On (the US Civil War will not be included) and that the next game will return to ancient warfare. I hear Total War: Rome II around the forums alot.

I Think I will take my laptop with me for my wedding...sneak in a quick turn or two during the party. Dance with my wife? Sure...right after I Invade England. ;)

Mocco

The game is tentatively set for March 3. But unless it goes gold in the next few days I think it will miss that date. You have to count 3-4 weeks from GOLD release to when you see it in stores.

Last edited:
(Sorry for double post)

Small Update

Demo is out on STEAM. Release date is finalized (March 3). And PCGAMER UK reviewed a advanced copy and gave it a 94%.

My views from Demo: ITS F****** AWESOME!!! But a good video card is recommended. My 8800GTX suffered slightly at the highest settings. Haven't tried the Naval battles yet.

The Demo is the Battle of Brandywine -you play as the British Army against the Americans.

Last edited:
I reckon what might happen is that the Napoleonic Wars & the War of Northern Aggression might end up being stand-alone games... There's such a wealth of campaigns and engagements to cover a series each, plus leave room for expansion packs... And, I'll deffo be grabbing at those regardless of the cost...... Empires has taken us to the brink of the Napoleonic era, I think they're doin =g it the right way, (hopefully, they are actually doing it... :D)

@mmarsh, think you'll be right as far as the timings go mate :) I have to wait a bit anyway, due to a bit of a cashflow problem at the moment.... :|

I agree its expensive, but I love the period so I think I am going to grumble and hand over the wad of cash.

Not so sure about the American Civil War. Frankly I am alittle confused on why SEGA/CA decided to end the era just BEFORE the Napoleonic era. I mean the game is called Empire: Total War right, how could they ignore the French Empire, one of the most dominate empires of the early 18th century? The missing US Civil War was abit of a mystery as well...

OK I got it! And yes it rocks.

I am working up my way in the "Road to independence" Campaign. You start out in Jamestown doing a few scenarios in the 1600s, goes all the way to the revolution. The final mission will unlock the US as a playable faction. I have not tried the Grand Campaign yet, but it looks enormous. The Sea battles also are untested.

I got the Special Forces Edition which includes famous units like Rogers Rangers, Buckeley Regiment, HMS Victory, the Gurkhas, the Ottoman "Organ" and others.

My only two negatives so far are the price (60 Euros) and the fact that the graphics require serious horsepower at full settings.

OK I got it! And yes it rocks.

I am working up my way in the "Road to independence" Campaign. You start out in Jamestown doing a few scenarios in the 1600s, goes all the way to the revolution. The final mission will unlock the US as a playable faction. I have not tried the Grand Campaign yet, but it looks enormous. The Sea battles also are untested.

I got the Special Forces Edition which includes famous units like Rogers Rangers, Buckeley Regiment, HMS Victory, the Gurkhas, the Ottoman "Organ" and others.

My only two negatives so far are the price (60 Euros) and the fact that the graphics require serious horsepower at full settings.

Sounds excellent, does it cover the French & Indian Wars?? You mentioned the Ghurkas, that must mean that the game must cover that portion of the 18th century wherein the Honourable East India Company campaigned against the declining Maratha Empire, (Anglo-Maratha Wars), until the last battles in 1817, wherein Ghurka forces fought as part of John Company.

Fantastic, I love that period of history............ :)

Yes, in the Road to Independence Campaign. Which I am playing right now.

You must buy the SF version to get the Gurkuras. They are a melee unit. I believe the EIC is represented but I havent seen it yet. I think that's in the Grand Campaign, I have got there yet. I know you can create trade routes between your colonies so that would be EIC-like.

Yes, in the Road to Independence Campaign. Which I am playing right now.

You must buy the SF version to get the Gurkuras. They are a melee unit. I believe the EIC is represented but I havent seen it yet. I think that's in the Grand Campaign, I have got there yet. I know you can create trade routes between your colonies so that would be EIC-like.

looking forward to it, ever since reading your initial post, i've been reading up as much as i can about the game, (gonna have to buy a better graphics card though, possibly 512mb as my existing card won't cut it)...

Brandywine Creek & Battle of Lagos are the included games for the demo, available through Steam.... Brandywine Creek, if only the British commander had been more astute, the Continental Army would've have been ground to a pulp, save for the heroism of some of Washington's divisional commanders who fought such a successful rearguard action... In fact, I'd say Howe represents the one of the biggest failures on the british side during the whole revolutionary war, along with the stupidity of the bureaucrats at Horse Guards who refused George Washington his commission into UK Regular Forces in the first place............

Back