Empire; How Britain Made the Modern World

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
Has anyone else read this book? I am quite intrigued and looking up now through online sources its claims about the American revolution. It is quite enlightening and debunks a couple of major myths. AND so far they have all checked out, I am a bit floored to say the least as to the origins of the American revolution et al.

Can't find anything on the title you gave. Found this on Google: To Rule the Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World by Arthur Herman. Is that what you meant?

Nope I have read that one too...

Author: Niall Ferguson
Title: Empire: How Britain Made the Modern World
ISBN: 0-141-00754-0

DOH!!! Sorry boss I got the name wrong in the original title...
:oops:

British believed that God gave them the divine duty of building the modern world and civilizing the world...

Phoenix, get the book and have a read. It is far more complex and interesting not to mention you're completely off the mark. The myth is far more mundane than the actual truth of the matter.

Tom, I hope you find it as I would really like to discuss this with you and any others who have read it.

NF_empire.JPG

Excellent book.

Of initial interest to me is the notion of the American Revolution as being rather the first American Civil War. And as Mr Ferguson lays the differences out between the states I for the first time can clearly see the roots of the Civil War of the 1860's and a clear common law precedent for the CSA states legal claim to the right of secession. KC are the views of Mr Ferguson's argument common thought in British schools as taught? It most assuredly is quite a different story from what I was taught even in university.

bulldogg said:
Phoenix, get the book and have a read. It is far more complex and interesting not to mention you're completely off the mark. The myth is far more mundane than the actual truth of the matter.

Tom, I hope you find it as I would really like to discuss this with you and any others who have read it.

It is what they thought they were. I dont deny it though. Actually I look at India and see how good the British left it as a democracy.

Or in case of Hong Kong... how pretty and modern it is!

nah, i dont deny their role but that is what the rest of non-anglo world think of Brits.

KC (or any other non-American who has read it) was there anything in this book that took you by surprise when you read it?

Back