Eluana Englaro versus the Vatican

Ted

In todays newspaper I read that the Avvenire, a newspaper of the Italian bisshops, said that Eluana Englaro "did not die, but was killed". The paper is affaid that youngsters will not talk anymore to their parents, because they can turn into judge, jury and executioner.
Not only do I find this enormously cold-hearted of the "holy" Church and lacking total humanity, empathy and without any compassion, I find it flat-out without any reflection. How can an institute with such a track record of killing, torturing, corruption and oppression find the gaul to make a such statement about one person. Had they been consequent over the centuries, that would have been different.

Not only do I think that the Vatican should know it's place given the circumstances. Re-instating the holocaust denying Cardinal Wilkinson, going near bankrupt because of child abuse-claims, denying birthcontrol in third world countries.... the list is endless. How can they claim to respect all life, when their deeds prove the opposite?
And seconldy I think that the Vatican should be banned from the political scene. In many western coutries church and state have been seperated and I think it is about time this obscolete medieval remnant should be muted. On many occasions they have hunted down opponents of their beliefs and given them to the Inquisistion. People who held other beliefs have been tortured, mass murdered, burned at the stake and oppressed. We are letting them off easy when we polity ask them to hold their opinions to themselves.

Well thats the thing about religion. They can speak out if what happens violates a tenant of their faith. Now whether or not the goerment pays any attention, is a whole other matter. They are voicing their opinion the Roman Catholics aren't the only religion that does this.

But that is the problem isn't? The Vatican expresses it's opinion and that is one thing. When the government takes this opinion and start making policy out of this opinion, than you are on a slippery slope. And I am under the conviction that they fully know this when they "express" their opinion. I just thought that most EU members had a clearer division between state and church... I think that that is my biggest objection to this.

Tell you all a funny story...

I am getting married in a few months and since my Wife is a devout Catholic we are attending pre-martial classes give by the Catholic Church. Last week our Priest brought up the Eluana Englaro case and stated the Vaticans position on this matter to us soon-to be newly-weds.

...and then rolled his eyes.

The point being, I get the distinct impression that the Catholic Church and the Vatican do not see eye-to-eye on this. If you look further at the case of the 4 Nazi-apologist Priests that were allowed back into Church (aka "the 4 morons" as named by my priest) one seems to see a pattern of the Vatican being completely out of touch from reality. The Vatican views on many subjects seems to be somewhere around the 2nd moon of Jupiter compared to the sentiments of many in the Catholic community, especially those outside of Italy.

Of course the French Catholic Church has a long history of routinely ignoring Rome.

Last edited:
Back