Election 2008. What if its Hillary Clinton vs Condi Rice??

Who Gets Your Vote

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Condoleezza Rice

• I'll vote for almost anyone as long as its not one of those two ladies.

• I just wouldn't vote at all then.

• Total voters

godofthunder9010

Okay, simple question and borrowing from other thread's discussion. Lets just see what everyone thinks.

Its Election 2008 and the Republican candidate is Condoleezza Rice. The Democratic Party candidate is Hillary Clinton. Who would you vote for?
Hillary Clinton?
Condoleezza Rice?
Anybody but one of the two of them?

I just can't say. I'd like to see what Rice does in the rest of her tenure as Sec of State. She seems to intelligent and savvy but I don't know about her leadership skills.

Clinton I have never, will never and could never trust her.

So I guess I'm voting for Rice.

I posted a little bit ago in the other thread that is you had a gun 2 my head & I had to vote for 1 I went with Clinton...Then Im sitting here thinking.....NO I WOULD'NT... I plead temp insanity for my other post.
I agree with 03USMC in part that I don't know all that much about Rice & if she does prove herself maybe my vote would be for her... But as of right now it's a NO for both of them...

I think condoleeza would lose for two reasons, her image isn't that great, and she's black. Not trying to be racist but the majority of the people aren't going to vote for a minority. We haven't even had a catholic president since jfk, imagine a black one.

I'm of the opinion that Vince Foster was coerced into committing suicide to cover up for her little Whitewater scandal. They probably threatented to wipe out his family and kill him anyways if he didn't go along or some similar sort of thing. I mean HONESTLY, the guy kills himself IN HIS OFFICE only a matter of a few months after helping the Clintons dump all of their Whitewater properties?

The fact that she did not divorce Bill for cheating on her repeatedly shows me that she puts her political ambitions above her own self-respect.

Well. that's a start on why I don't much care for her.

godofthunder9010 said:
I'm of the opinion that Vince Foster was coerced into committing suicide to cover up for her little Whitewater scandal. They probably threatented to wipe out his family and kill him anyways if he didn't go along or some similar sort of thing. I mean HONESTLY, the guy kills himself IN HIS OFFICE only a matter of a few months after helping the Clintons dump all of their Whitewater properties?

The fact that she did not divorce Bill for cheating on her repeatedly shows me that she puts her political ambitions above her own self-respect.

Well. that's a start on why I don't much care for her.

rumour & specualtion anyone?

i don't know anything about whitewater so i won't comment, as for bill cheating & her still being there; HEAPS of women stick around after their husbands have been caught out!

what would make her a bad president?

i agree with warmachine. since many of teh republicans are conservative, i think she would lose some of the republican votes because she is black. if left with a choice of a white woman or a black woman, many conservatives would pick hillary.

Yea but micheal jordan said he would never come out of retirement, and he had that whole wizards fiasco.

Actually, didn't Hillary Clinton pretty much say in no uncertain terms that she had no intention of running for President at some point?

i don't know anything about whitewater so i won't comment
Precisely why I created the thread for it. The timeline is about as nonpartisan as you can get (other than the fact that the Democratic Party would like to pretend that all of it never actually happened). It just tells you the known facts of what happened and when.

as for bill cheating & her still being there; HEAPS of women stick around after their husbands have been caught out!
Yes but how many times and for how many years do you put up with that sort of thing before being perceived as a meek little kitten without enough self esteem to stick up for herself. In this case, you have a feminist politician sticking with the man who has cheated on her many times over the years. Twice that we have well documented. Why did she stick with him? I very much doubt it had anything to do with love. Bill's unfaithfulness to Hillary is not a one-time thing, it appears to be spread out over multiple decades of marriage. That may seem like speculation, but considering the acounts of the whole Paula Jones affair, the utter casualness of it all bespeaks a significant history of unfaithfulness. But rather than doing what any conscientious feminist would do and divorcing Bill, she stuck with the man so that she could be First Lady and maybe even more after that. So what is the message to the women of America? "Sure ladies, your husband cheats on you. But that's okay if sticking with him will get you fortune, fame, power and glory in the end. If you're better off by sticking with the man, just put up and shut up!" Strange for a feminist, no? What does that say about her character? Apparently, she believes that fame, power, fortune and glory are far more important than your principals and convictions.

As to what would make her a bad President? Well, for the most part, she espouses many political views that I disagree with. Some of the things she stands for, I can agree with. Universal Healthcare is a big one that I would like to see happen in some form or another. But she has been contradictory on many things. Denouncing human rights violations in China while praising the Muslim world in general, which overlooks a LOT of the same sorts of human rights abuses that she courageously touted against China. Better documented human rights abuses too. She has showered praise on the Muslim world for its stand against Israel, right up to the point where she became Senator. Thereafter, she's not made a peep about it. I just don't think I can trust her. Rather than sticking to what you believe in, it seems to vary with the tide of public opinion. She is a skilled politician, and I can certainly see that having her be the next President could lead to much good in a lot of areas. I do disagree with her on far too many things to actually vote for her though.

One thing I find HIGHLY amusing is the fact that most people from foreign countries have their opinions autoset as follows:
Democrats = The Good Guys
Republicans = The Bad Guys

godofthunder9010 said:
Actually, didn't Hillary Clinton pretty much say in no uncertain terms that she had no intention of running for President at some point?

I think Hillary said that about the 2004 race, but she has not made any statement about 2008. However, Condi has said literally a thousand times in almost every interview she has given since November that she WILL NOT run in 2008 under any circumstances.

Whispering Death said:
godofthunder9010 said:

I think Hillary said that about the 2004 race, but she has not made any statement about 2008. However, Condi has said literally a thousand times in almost every interview she has given since November that she WILL NOT run in 2008 under any circumstances.
I doubt its actually "thousands of times" but I follow you. Still, you've gotta admit that the scenario is VERY interesting, right?

I wasn't sure what the exact statement by Hillary was but I thought it was to the effect that she had no desire to run for President ... ever. If memory serves, the immediate follow up by whatever journalist was reporting it was something to the effect of, "Ha!! Nobody believes it!" Wish I had a source to go on, memory from watching the news from way back in 2001 is pretty fuzzy.

Don't be too sold on Rice's "never gonna run" statements. What would you expect a new Secretary of State with a busy schedule and many things to accomplish yet to say? Obviously, if she embraced the notion too closely now she wouldn't get anything done.

behemoth79 said:
i agree with warmachine. since many of teh republicans are conservative, i think she would lose some of the republican votes because she is black. if left with a choice of a white woman or a black woman, many conservatives would pick hillary.

Just because they are conservative doesn't mean they are racist, I think you are confusing the two. Hillary is as liberal as they come only an all out racist would vote for her over Condi. I think very few conservatives (only the real racist ones) will vote for Hillary. The vast majority of conservatives will still vote for Condi given thats the only choice.

If she lost because she was black, it will be because of those sitting on the fence (neither liberal nor conservative), who although are not out and out racist are still not sure about having a black president.

You lose the bigotted racists from the Republican Party, but I wonder how many black Democrats vote for Rice for similar reasons ... or simply because its a golden opportunity to actually have a black President of the United States for the first time ever. Don't underestimate the mindless masses voting for silly reasons.

Rice strikes me as more of a moderate than Clinton. Clinton is trying to be perceived as one these days, but sure as hell isn't.

Charge_7 said:
Don't be too sold on Rice's "never gonna run" statements. What would you expect a new Secretary of State with a busy schedule and many things to accomplish yet to say? Obviously, if she embraced the notion too closely now she wouldn't get anything done.

Have you seen the interviews? I did, Chris Mathews spent, literally, about 5 minutes asking her "are you going to run in 2008" in every imagineable way "are you thinking about running, might you run, would you consider running" and Condi eventually got a little visibly frustrated after saying "no" in every imaginable way she could and basically said "There is absolutely no way I am going to run in 2008 under any circumstances."

I know politics is confusing but this isn't, if she enters the primaries in 2008 all of her republican oponents would call her a flip-flopper and untrustworthy after saying she wouldn't run. Once you say something like this over and over and over in every interview you go to then that means you HAVE to abide by it.

So give it up, there is no way you're going to see Mrs. Rice on the ticket for President next year. That being said, she might make an interesting pick for vice prez.

More than one candidate has said "I will not run" and did just that. I think you're giving the statement more credit than the vast majority of political observers do. As I said, she can say nothing else at this time. Having said she can't see any possibility of running now, doesn't mean she can't change her mind at any time. I seriously doubt anybody of consequence would fault her for changing her mind a couple years down the road. Particularly if she's doing it "for the party".

Back