Election 2008. What if its Hillary Clinton vs Condi Rice?? - Page 2




View Poll Results :Who Gets Your Vote
Hillary Clinton 10 27.78%
Condoleezza Rice 16 44.44%
I'll vote for almost anyone as long as its not one of those two ladies. 7 19.44%
I just wouldn't vote at all then. 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

 
--
Boots
 
April 1st, 2005  
WarMachine
 
 
Yea but micheal jordan said he would never come out of retirement, and he had that whole wizards fiasco.
April 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
Comparing politics to professional basketball is rediculous.
April 1st, 2005  
godofthunder9010
 
 
Actually, didn't Hillary Clinton pretty much say in no uncertain terms that she had no intention of running for President at some point?

Quote:
i don't know anything about whitewater so i won't comment
Precisely why I created the thread for it. The timeline is about as nonpartisan as you can get (other than the fact that the Democratic Party would like to pretend that all of it never actually happened). It just tells you the known facts of what happened and when.

Quote:
as for bill cheating & her still being there; HEAPS of women stick around after their husbands have been caught out!
Yes but how many times and for how many years do you put up with that sort of thing before being perceived as a meek little kitten without enough self esteem to stick up for herself. In this case, you have a feminist politician sticking with the man who has cheated on her many times over the years. Twice that we have well documented. Why did she stick with him? I very much doubt it had anything to do with love. Bill's unfaithfulness to Hillary is not a one-time thing, it appears to be spread out over multiple decades of marriage. That may seem like speculation, but considering the acounts of the whole Paula Jones affair, the utter casualness of it all bespeaks a significant history of unfaithfulness. But rather than doing what any conscientious feminist would do and divorcing Bill, she stuck with the man so that she could be First Lady and maybe even more after that. So what is the message to the women of America? "Sure ladies, your husband cheats on you. But that's okay if sticking with him will get you fortune, fame, power and glory in the end. If you're better off by sticking with the man, just put up and shut up!" Strange for a feminist, no? What does that say about her character? Apparently, she believes that fame, power, fortune and glory are far more important than your principals and convictions.

As to what would make her a bad President? Well, for the most part, she espouses many political views that I disagree with. Some of the things she stands for, I can agree with. Universal Healthcare is a big one that I would like to see happen in some form or another. But she has been contradictory on many things. Denouncing human rights violations in China while praising the Muslim world in general, which overlooks a LOT of the same sorts of human rights abuses that she courageously touted against China. Better documented human rights abuses too. She has showered praise on the Muslim world for its stand against Israel, right up to the point where she became Senator. Thereafter, she's not made a peep about it. I just don't think I can trust her. Rather than sticking to what you believe in, it seems to vary with the tide of public opinion. She is a skilled politician, and I can certainly see that having her be the next President could lead to much good in a lot of areas. I do disagree with her on far too many things to actually vote for her though.

One thing I find HIGHLY amusing is the fact that most people from foreign countries have their opinions autoset as follows:
Democrats = The Good Guys
Republicans = The Bad Guys
--
Boots
April 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Actually, didn't Hillary Clinton pretty much say in no uncertain terms that she had no intention of running for President at some point?
I think Hillary said that about the 2004 race, but she has not made any statement about 2008. However, Condi has said literally a thousand times in almost every interview she has given since November that she WILL NOT run in 2008 under any circumstances.
April 1st, 2005  
godofthunder9010
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Actually, didn't Hillary Clinton pretty much say in no uncertain terms that she had no intention of running for President at some point?
I think Hillary said that about the 2004 race, but she has not made any statement about 2008. However, Condi has said literally a thousand times in almost every interview she has given since November that she WILL NOT run in 2008 under any circumstances.
I doubt its actually "thousands of times" but I follow you. Still, you've gotta admit that the scenario is VERY interesting, right?

I wasn't sure what the exact statement by Hillary was but I thought it was to the effect that she had no desire to run for President ... ever. If memory serves, the immediate follow up by whatever journalist was reporting it was something to the effect of, "Ha!! Nobody believes it!" Wish I had a source to go on, memory from watching the news from way back in 2001 is pretty fuzzy.
April 1st, 2005  
Charge 7
 
 
Don't be too sold on Rice's "never gonna run" statements. What would you expect a new Secretary of State with a busy schedule and many things to accomplish yet to say? Obviously, if she embraced the notion too closely now she wouldn't get anything done.
April 1st, 2005  
gladius
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by behemoth79
i agree with warmachine. since many of teh republicans are conservative, i think she would lose some of the republican votes because she is black. if left with a choice of a white woman or a black woman, many conservatives would pick hillary.
Just because they are conservative doesn't mean they are racist, I think you are confusing the two. Hillary is as liberal as they come only an all out racist would vote for her over Condi. I think very few conservatives (only the real racist ones) will vote for Hillary. The vast majority of conservatives will still vote for Condi given thats the only choice.

If she lost because she was black, it will be because of those sitting on the fence (neither liberal nor conservative), who although are not out and out racist are still not sure about having a black president.
April 1st, 2005  
godofthunder9010
 
 
You lose the bigotted racists from the Republican Party, but I wonder how many black Democrats vote for Rice for similar reasons ... or simply because its a golden opportunity to actually have a black President of the United States for the first time ever. Don't underestimate the mindless masses voting for silly reasons.

Rice strikes me as more of a moderate than Clinton. Clinton is trying to be perceived as one these days, but sure as hell isn't.
April 1st, 2005  
Whispering Death
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
Don't be too sold on Rice's "never gonna run" statements. What would you expect a new Secretary of State with a busy schedule and many things to accomplish yet to say? Obviously, if she embraced the notion too closely now she wouldn't get anything done.
Have you seen the interviews? I did, Chris Mathews spent, literally, about 5 minutes asking her "are you going to run in 2008" in every imagineable way "are you thinking about running, might you run, would you consider running" and Condi eventually got a little visibly frustrated after saying "no" in every imaginable way she could and basically said "There is absolutely no way I am going to run in 2008 under any circumstances."

I know politics is confusing but this isn't, if she enters the primaries in 2008 all of her republican oponents would call her a flip-flopper and untrustworthy after saying she wouldn't run. Once you say something like this over and over and over in every interview you go to then that means you HAVE to abide by it.

So give it up, there is no way you're going to see Mrs. Rice on the ticket for President next year. That being said, she might make an interesting pick for vice prez.
April 1st, 2005  
Charge 7
 
 
More than one candidate has said "I will not run" and did just that. I think you're giving the statement more credit than the vast majority of political observers do. As I said, she can say nothing else at this time. Having said she can't see any possibility of running now, doesn't mean she can't change her mind at any time. I seriously doubt anybody of consequence would fault her for changing her mind a couple years down the road. Particularly if she's doing it "for the party".