El Duque has arthritis in his neck

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Associated Press

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - New York Mets pitcher Orlando Hernandez has arthritis in his neck and will be sidelined for three or four days after receiving a cortisone shot.
El Duque, slated to be the No. 2 starter behind Tom Glavine in the Mets' suspect rotation, left spring training Thursday and returned to New York to have his neck examined. He underwent an MRI, which did not show any disk problems, general manager Omar Minaya said.
"Everything looks well," Minaya said on a conference call. "It was just good news. It was preventive, and we feel really good - especially after reviewing the MRI."
The 41-year-old Hernandez was expected to rejoin the team in Florida on Friday. He will rest for three or four days before resuming regular drills.
Minaya said Hernandez felt better immediately after the cortisone shot. The right-hander will undergo treatment throughout the year to manage his arthritis.
"I think he'll be fine," manager Willie Randolph said. "He probably won't skip a beat. I don't think we need to get ahead of ourselves."
El Duque felt discomfort in his neck last season and the soreness returned in spring training this year, Minaya said.
Hernandez's health is a major issue for the Mets, who won the NL East in 2006 and came within one victory of the World Series. Their aging rotation is a big question mark this year.
"We came to camp last year with the same questions and we were one win from the World Series," said Glavine, who turns 41 next month. "I don't know why people make a big deal out of (age). I don't feel any more injury-prone now than I did four years ago."
Hernandez went 11-11 with a 4.66 ERA last year, including 9-7 with a 4.09 ERA in 20 starts after the Mets acquired him from Arizona in late May. But he missed the playoffs because of a torn calf muscle.
New York already is without Pedro Martinez, sidelined until at least midseason following rotator cuff surgery. Among those competing for starting jobs are prospects Mike Pelfrey, Philip Humber and Jason Vargas, plus veterans Chan Ho Park, Jorge Sosa and Aaron Sele.
Notes: Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca also missed Thursday's workouts to receive a cortisone injection in his throwing hand. Randolph said getting the injection is something Lo Duca has done in each of the past few springs to relieve the symptoms of tendinitis. ... The Mets agreed to minor league contracts with LHP Mike Bynum and RHP Jose Santiago

Back