egyptian military buildup

simple answer

as an egyptian i can answer you very easily and briefly... our neighbour israel has a major thought that the land from river nile to the euerates is there own land and they must have some day, thats why we are building an army to remind them the old days (the days of ramsis the second)simply if those people could take the egyptian land, thousands of years would have been gone with the wind...thankxx

to the members who believe that israel has a historical right in palisitine.well,how come the russian europians...etc who are the majority in israel have the right to kill and steal in palistaine?
that is nonsense and its over to lie on the world anymore.

This is in fact a question a lot of us would like answered and there are a couple of threads here that say the same thing.

as an egyptian i can answer you very easily and briefly... our neighbour israel has a major thought that the land from river nile to the euerates is there own land and they must have some day, thats why we are building an army to remind them the old days (the days of ramsis the second)simply if those people could take the egyptian land, thousands of years would have been gone with the wind...thankxx

Congratulations on providing the answer so many people seem to be trying to avoid, Egypt is spending money on its military because it does not trust its neighbour.
I don't think anyone here could disagree with this reasoning as that is the same reason every country spends money on it's military.

I am Agree With You .... cuz every one in egypt or any other arab country see That Israel An illegal country by taking the palestine lands ... and arabs can,t trust israel at all ... - and last for later views egypt and arabs wanna be up to date with every possible technologies waiting for the right time ... that right time could be exist when
Arab regimes changed to others who realy care for palestine more Than Their Lives And I Think That The Way Inside all arab countrys But Unfortunately most Arab regimes Do not reflect the will of the people ..... But unfortunately too Israel Don,t Know That occupation Always disappear It,s Just A matter of time ... We Will Rise And Fall So Much But At Last The right must be returned to his companions..... I Know That Many Israel,s PPL Don,t Like What I Said But I am Asking Them To Think About It And Think too ... Before 1948 Where Are They Been.... you can,t just come after 2 or 3 thousand years and take about your right in lands and we all know taht was not right but looking to other way that we said ... borders before 1967 that should make you in peace and so us.... but it seems israel don,t want peace ... and they don,t know too That What They Doing Now (not listening to the whole world is dragging them to the Edge of the fire

This is in fact a question a lot of us would like answered and there are a couple of threads here that say the same thing.

Congratulations on providing the answer so many people seem to be trying to avoid, Egypt is spending money on its military because it does not trust its neighbour.
I don't think anyone here could disagree with this reasoning as that is the same reason every country spends money on it's military.

Actually, Egypt doesn't only spend money on their military just because of Israel. Look at the region from all sides, you will find that Egypt is really surrounded by countries with major issues. From the east, Israel fighting Palestine, regardless of who's right or wrong....that area is un-stable. Israel and Egypt also have a bad history of 5 wars in 25 years (1948, 1956, 1967, 1969, 1973). Then, from the west, there's Libya ruled by Colonel Ghaddafi who attacked Egypt on 1977 and when the Egyptian president got assassinated, he made it a national holiday in Libya. <---I could be wrong about the national holiday thing, but, I'm a little positive. And from the south, their is Sudan, a country that has been living civil-war for decades and definitely unstable. So, Egypt has to secure itself from all sides because none of the country's neighbors can be trusted or are stable.

Actually, Egypt doesn't only spend money on their military just because of Israel. Look at the region from all sides, you will find that Egypt is really surrounded by countries with major issues. From the east, Israel fighting Palestine, regardless of who's right or wrong....that area is un-stable. Israel and Egypt also have a bad history of 5 wars in 25 years (1948, 1956, 1967, 1969, 1973). Then, from the west, there's Libya ruled by Colonel Ghaddafi who attacked Egypt on 1977 and when the Egyptian president got assassinated, he made it a national holiday in Libya. <---I could be wrong about the national holiday thing, but, I'm a little positive. And from the south, their is Sudan, a country that has been living civil-war for decades and definitely unstable. So, Egypt has to secure itself from all sides because none of the country's neighbors can be trusted or are stable.

The water issue with Sudan can be a cause of an armed conflict; water might be the major cause of armed conflicts around the world. The issue contributed to the decision of the six days war in 1967. The Syrians were doing things with the river of Jordan

Nobody seems to worry about Egypt being threatened by Israel and the build up of arms there. Does Egypt have nuclear weapons. Who should say what weapons one country can have when its neighbour seems to have given to it any thing that they want.
The Suez Canal is no longer as important as it once was, many of the new super tankers can't use it as it is to small and needs to be rebuilt. Much of the British efforts in Afghanistan are now supplied by air and the C17 can do a return trip in a day.
Now much of the problems in this area are American made, who wanted the British out before they were ready to leave. It was America who supported the Seizure of the Canal by Egypt in 1956 yet happily shot any Panamanians who asked for the return of their Canal. It was this that was the start of Arab Nationalism and the resurgent of Muslim fundamentalism. America wanted to be number one in this area and have made a right hash of it all

The water issue with Sudan can be a cause of an armed conflict; water might be the major cause of armed conflicts around the world. The issue contributed to the decision of the six days war in 1967. The Syrians were doing things with the river of Jordan

Yeah, it seems like the world is running out of drinkable water. Eh, for some reason I wish someone takes a neutral side and tell me who actually started this war. Arabs say Israel did, Israel says Arabs did. Most foreign books support Israel's cause not only in this war but a lot of things. Arabic books support the Arab cause for sure.

Nobody seems to worry about Egypt being threatened by Israel and the build up of arms there. Does Egypt have nuclear weapons. Who should say what weapons one country can have when its neighbour seems to have given to it any thing that they want.
The Suez Canal is no longer as important as it once was, many of the new super tankers can't use it as it is to small and needs to be rebuilt. Much of the British efforts in Afghanistan are now supplied by air and the C17 can do a return trip in a day.
Now much of the problems in this area are American made, who wanted the British out before they were ready to leave. It was America who supported the Seizure of the Canal by Egypt in 1956 yet happily shot any Panamanians who asked for the return of their Canal. It was this that was the start of Arab Nationalism and the resurgent of Muslim fundamentalism. America wanted to be number one in this area and have made a right hash of it all

Well...Egypt doesn't have nuclear weapons but, they do have biological and chemical weapons. But I believe in an Egypt/Israel war scenario, it would be a bad idea for Israel to use their nukes because it will damage both sides of the conflict and both of them are going to go through snowy days.

When it comes to the 1956 thing. I don't think it's America because Egypt's relationship with America was really really bad especially when America refused to fund the High Dam. Nasser -the president by the time- found that the only way to build the High Dam was through making the Suez Canal an Egyptian company. I don't re-call what happened on the political level...but I re-call Nasser giving a speech on the radio and then he said something about Ferdinand de Lesseps. It turned out at the end that "de Lesseps" was the code-name for zero hour in which the army had to do seize the canal. I'm not sure if it was by the help of America, though.

Probably, the worst thing about Nasser was his ridiculous and pathetic Arab Nationalism bullocks which really harmed Egypt rather than benefiting it.

Yeah, it seems like the world is running out of drinkable water. Eh, for some reason I wish someone takes a neutral side and tell me who actually started this war. Arabs say Israel did, Israel says Arabs did. Most foreign books support Israel's cause not only in this war but a lot of things. Arabic books support the Arab cause for sure.

I would say both side contributed to the path down to the abyss of war. We can never accuse one side, when both contributed to the wars. If we as humans put in the same effort we use to fight wars to keep the peace, then we might reach somewhere, but I am not so hopeful about that

I would say both side contributed to the path down to the abyss of war. We can never accuse one side, when both contributed to the wars. If we as humans put in the same effort we use to fight wars to keep the peace, then we might reach somewhere, but I am not so hopeful about that
Aye, that be true! 3 out of 5 wars against Israel were under the same leadership (1956, 1967 and 1969). Of course as a result of the ridiculous Arab nationalism crap. Because of Arab nationalism, Egypt had to sell literally all it's gold reserves, yes to the last drop!! Because of Arab nationalism, Egypt had to waste it's blood fighting for Yemen so they can get Republican rule. Because of Arab nationalism, 1/3 of the Egyptian army was fighting in Yemen which is a direct cause of Egyptian defeat in 1967. Because of Arab nationalism, the war in Yemen kept going on and it was a major attrition to Egyptian economy and Egyptian/Saudi Arabian relationships got ruined as Saudi Arabia supported the Loyalist forces in Yemen. If Nasser wanted to unite the Arabs, why would he be in opposite sides with Saudi Arabia?? Isn't it 1 of the Arab world? Isn't it 1 of the most important countries because of the Muslim stuff? Isn't Saudi Arabia sitting on a whole lot of petroleum? That's crazy, man!! I like your point, though. It would definitely be better if instead of classifying ourselves according to race, religion and nationality, we would classify ourselves as human-beings. The issue now, is the existence of Nuclear/Atomic weapons and weapons of mass destruction because no-matter who uses it against who, it's a bad day for everyone.

Both Egypt and Jordan knew what Israel wanted: security. It was a give and take thing and the three countries faired very well with the peace accords.

The most dangerous thing for Egypt is the flow of water through the Nile. Ethiopia is (going to?) build a dam and that could have a negative impact on the water supply for Egypt.

Almost 60% of the oil tankers worldwide can use the Suez canal. Shipments dropped about a quarter since 2007. In 2010 the canal depth was increased to 66 feet and oil shipments increased a little bit. Oil shipments amount to only 20% of Suez traffic.

Another cash cow for Egypt is tourism. This can get tricky if Egypt gets too Islamistic for the rich (western) tourists who do not like the discomfort of religious laws.

I don't see any threat from Sudan or Libya.

Egypt burnt their fingers (as Israel once did) by voluntarily opening the Gaza crossings. They need to keep an eye on the fanatics from Gaza but this is police work with some help from the army.

Both Egypt and Jordan knew what Israel wanted: security. It was a give and take thing and the three countries faired very well with the peace accords.

The most dangerous thing for Egypt is the flow of water through the Nile. Ethiopia is (going to?) build a dam and that could have a negative impact on the water supply for Egypt.

Almost 60% of the oil tankers worldwide can use the Suez canal. Shipments dropped about a quarter since 2007. In 2010 the canal depth was increased to 66 feet and oil shipments increased a little bit. Oil shipments amount to only 20% of Suez traffic.

Another cash cow for Egypt is tourism. This can get tricky if Egypt gets too Islamistic for the rich (western) tourists who do not like the discomfort of religious laws.

I don't see any threat from Sudan or Libya.

Egypt burnt their fingers (as Israel once did) by voluntarily opening the Gaza crossings. They need to keep an eye on the fanatics from Gaza but this is police work with some help from the army.
Yeah, Israel does want security...
2vm7tx5.jpg

Anyways, I'm not here to keep talking about Israel or whatsoever. But, I doubt there is a single country that is like 100% no mistakes and no crimes. Are you talking about the 1979 accords? Well...if so, and you say both countries knew what Israel wanted...that depends on how you look at it. Because it can also be said like this "Egypt and Jordan wanted no more war." So far, the Egyptian president has been quite liberal and fixing some major issues instead of barking religion. And Egypt can't do anything in a way that might harm tourism even for just a bit, They live mostly out of tourism.

I didn't say there's a threat. I said "the region is not stable." And unlike huge armies, militias can change their attitude in like 2 seconds. The entire region is not stable. Civil War in Libya, Civil War in Sudan and Palestinian/Israeli conflict in Palestine or Israel whatever you call it.

I don't know about Gaza, sorry. That's definitely not my thing or my concern. Gazans have been going inside the country and it was okay until the Aug.5 incident. And it's still not proven whether it was Gaza or probably Israel. Considering that Israel has been killing Egyptian soldiers and civilians near the border for a while now. And always lame excuses "It was not intentioned." and they send an apology letter. "Terrorists did this, not us." and blah blah blah. I don't remember who but somebody in this forum I believe said something quite amazing...."unintentionally can be understandable but doesn't have to be acceptable."

Being a Citizen from a brother Nation, I've a piece of advice for Egyptians.
In the Subject of Military Might it's not the Quantity but the Quality and the Strategy which Pays.
You need to focus more over the individual training,i.e the training of a normal egyptian soldier and development of strategy favouring you even in the worst phases of any future Egypt Israel conflict.

"Black Storks (Special Services Group) has been air dropped by Pakistanis here, you dumb head send me all the Airplanes and Gunships we have in Afghanistan" Commander 345th Spetsnaz Unit (Battle of Hill 3234)

Yeah, Israel does want security...
2vm7tx5.jpg

Anyways, I'm not here to keep talking about Israel or whatsoever. But, I doubt there is a single country that is like 100% no mistakes and no crimes. Are you talking about the 1979 accords? Well...if so, and you say both countries knew what Israel wanted...that depends on how you look at it. Because it can also be said like this "Egypt and Jordan wanted no more war." So far, the Egyptian president has been quite liberal and fixing some major issues instead of barking religion. And Egypt can't do anything in a way that might harm tourism even for just a bit, They live mostly out of tourism.

I didn't say there's a threat. I said "the region is not stable." And unlike huge armies, militias can change their attitude in like 2 seconds. The entire region is not stable. Civil War in Libya, Civil War in Sudan and Palestinian/Israeli conflict in Palestine or Israel whatever you call it.

I don't know about Gaza, sorry. That's definitely not my thing or my concern. Gazans have been going inside the country and it was okay until the Aug.5 incident. And it's still not proven whether it was Gaza or probably Israel. Considering that Israel has been killing Egyptian soldiers and civilians near the border for a while now. And always lame excuses "It was not intentioned." and they send an apology letter. "Terrorists did this, not us." and blah blah blah. I don't remember who but somebody in this forum I believe said something quite amazing...."unintentionally can be understandable but doesn't have to be acceptable."

That photo has nothing to do with the Israeli-Egyptian war. But since you bring it up, and in my opinion you are allowed to, I have the right to counter that. I think you made the same mistake as the one who likes your story (Seno). Did you check the validity of the story?

One article (http://adalah.org/eng/pressreleases/04_05_03nl.php) says it happend on 15/04/2004.

Another article (electronicintifada) says it happend on 22/04/2004.

On Mar-4-2007 the same story reappeared on LiveLeak (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=76d_1173007758) saying it happend during a recent demonstration.

It reapperared again on 2009/01/07 in the pakistaniscandals saying it happend "last night" !

All that time the guy stays 13 years old (12 in the first link I mentioned).

Have you enlarged the photo? (you can find a slightly better quality on the internet). Look at how that guy is tied to to the grille covering the windscreen of the Jeep, he could be free within seconds (in fact it is not possible to verify that he is indeed strapped to the grille). His friends weren't that far away because he said he was affraid that the rocks would hit him (enlarge the photo to look at his face, not someone who is worried).

Such photos and videos are all over the internet placed by anti-israel groups and persons. They are anti-Israel, not pro-palestinian.

I want that the Palestinians have a country of their own and have a peacefull and prosperous life. The ones who post such things do not care about the Palestinians, they use them for their own self-inetrests.

Being a Citizen from a brother Nation, I've a piece of advice for Egyptians.
In the Subject of Military Might it's not the Quantity but the Quality and the Strategy which Pays.
You need to focus more over the individual training,i.e the training of a normal egyptian soldier and development of strategy favouring you even in the worst phases of any future Egypt Israel conflict.

Egypt is doing it's best as I can see. I'm not a military hardware expert but, Egypt right now is flying the F-16s and is using the M1A1 Abrams tank. Egypt right now is trying to find a way to get hold of the F-15s. And Egypt also got some submarine called 209? Or something like that from Germany. When it comes to training, things have changed since the 1973 war. Egypt now -I believe- receives some training from foreign military advisers and they hold many training operations such as Bright Star and those stuff. Any future Egypt/Israel conflict is quite doubtful I assume. Because what is the benefit going to be? If Egypt attacks Israel, the US will cut-off it's aid and might do a lot of things and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't involve militarily, that's if Egypt is winning. The Israeli army judging by quality are more superior. If Israel attacks, it would be a little disturbing for the US since Egypt is an important US ally but of course not as important as Israel.

Last edited:
That photo has nothing to do with the Israeli-Egyptian war. But since you bring it up, and in my opinion you are allowed to, I have the right to counter that. I think you made the same mistake as the one who likes your story (Seno). Did you check the validity of the story?

One article (http://adalah.org/eng/pressreleases/04_05_03nl.php) says it happend on 15/04/2004.

Another article (electronicintifada) says it happend on 22/04/2004.

On Mar-4-2007 the same story reappeared on LiveLeak (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=76d_1173007758) saying it happend during a recent demonstration.

It reapperared again on 2009/01/07 in the pakistaniscandals saying it happend "last night" !

All that time the guy stays 13 years old (12 in the first link I mentioned).

Have you enlarged the photo? (you can find a slightly better quality on the internet). Look at how that guy is tied to to the grille covering the windscreen of the Jeep, he could be free within seconds (in fact it is not possible to verify that he is indeed strapped to the grille). His friends weren't that far away because he said he was affraid that the rocks would hit him (enlarge the photo to look at his face, not someone who is worried).

Such photos and videos are all over the internet placed by anti-israel groups and persons. They are anti-Israel, not pro-palestinian.

I want that the Palestinians have a country of their own and have a peacefull and prosperous life. The ones who post such things do not care about the Palestinians, they use them for their own self-inetrests.

I agree it has nothing to do with Egypt. But you said they want security so, because I'm from a country close to Israel we do hear the echos of what's being said over there. So, when you said they want security I wanted to provide a photo of what probably means by being secure as using a human-shield. And yes, you do have the right to counter. Well...I have a whole lot of photos about such stuff since WWII. All types of different stuff, it would be hard to classify them. But, when I enlarged the photo...I believe he was tied by some sort of belt. But no, it's absolutely obvious; you see that piece of metal which is the belt buckle with that pin facing downwards and when you lock the belt the tighter you make it the longer it becomes after the lock and you end up putting these through your pants or whatever your wearing in those sections. I can see the pin going through the belt and that remaining part is the part that's facing upwards. That's besides, if it's like that...why would a child be possibly on a hood of a police car? It sparks a question, does it not? The only reason I put such a photo is because I care for the child's situation. And trust me, if that was an Israeli child in that same situation, I would care just as much. I'm not Palestinian neither am I Israeli. If a child from any part of the world was tied to a police jeep like that, I would get concerned.

I agree it has nothing to do with Egypt. But you said they want security so, because I'm from a country close to Israel we do hear the echos of what's being said over there. So, when you said they want security I wanted to provide a photo of what probably means by being secure as using a human-shield. And yes, you do have the right to counter. Well...I have a whole lot of photos about such stuff since WWII. All types of different stuff, it would be hard to classify them. But, when I enlarged the photo...I believe he was tied by some sort of belt. But no, it's absolutely obvious; you see that piece of metal which is the belt buckle with that pin facing downwards and when you lock the belt the tighter you make it the longer it becomes after the lock and you end up putting these through your pants or whatever your wearing in those sections. I can see the pin going through the belt and that remaining part is the part that's facing upwards. That's besides, if it's like that...why would a child be possibly on a hood of a police car? It sparks a question, does it not? The only reason I put such a photo is because I care for the child's situation. And trust me, if that was an Israeli child in that same situation, I would care just as much. I'm not Palestinian neither am I Israeli. If a child from any part of the world was tied to a police jeep like that, I would get concerned.

Most law enforcing officers from most countries do their job in a humane way (if it is possible), so that boy propably was being held and tied up so he could not run away. The problem with a picture (and video) is that it doesn't say when or where it was taken, we just have to believe what is written about it. Then there's the software to manipulate it, although this one, I believe, is genuine.

Most law enforcing officers from most countries do their job in a humane way (if it is possible), so that boy propably was being held and tied up so he could not run away. The problem with a picture (and video) is that it doesn't say when or where it was taken, we just have to believe what is written about it. Then there's the software to manipulate it, although this one, I believe, is genuine.

I don't think so....when someone gets arrested, the cop searches him, handcuffs him and puts him INSIDE the car or jeep. In this photo, the child is not handcuffed and he's on TOP of the jeep; he's on the hood. And that is very very very unusual for an arresting process. And if he was put inside the car, he also wouldn't be able to run away, would he? Put him in the jeep, lock the doors and just leave him. If he tries to run away he will have to break the window and that will make enough noise for the police to notice. To me, it doesn't matter when it was taken....a child on top of a police jeep tied with a belt is quite bothersome.

Back