Edwards To Ask Antiwar Stand Of Americans

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Times
May 12, 2007
Pg. 12

By Leslie Wayne
Stepping up his antiwar stance, John Edwards said yesterday that he would call for Americans to “raise their voices” on Memorial Day against the Iraq war and would say that patriotism required supporting the troops by bringing them home.
Mr. Edwards said in a telephone interview that, in a commencement speech to be delivered today at New England College in Henniker, N.H., he would call on Americans to “come together and speak out in a way that will end the war.”
Mr. Edwards, who is seeking the Democratic nomination for president in 2008, said he was not calling for rallies or antiwar protests, but rather for Americans to come up with their own ways of opposing the war.
“During the weekend, let us gather as patriots,” Mr. Edwards will say in his speech, according a statement released by his campaign. “Wherever you are — with your family, with your friends, at a barbecue, at a parade, wherever you are — let us raise our voices.”
In addition, the Edwards campaign suggested that opponents of the war print signs saying “Support the troops — End the war” and take them to Memorial Day parades.
In recent weeks, Mr. Edwards, a former senator from North Carolina, has been positioning himself as firmly opposed to the war. He has called for a withdrawal of troops from Iraq and has said that Congress should use the power of the purse to end the war.
But in his speech, he will challenge individual Americans to take action.
“As patriots, we call on our government to support our troops in the most important way it can — by ending this war and bringing them home,” he will say, according to the statement.
He said yesterday that he wanted to “reclaim ‘patriotism’ ” from the Bush administration’s use of that term.
“George Bush has used patriotism as a moniker to justify what he has done,” Mr. Edwards said, adding, “It is abundantly clear that no American can stand on the sidelines anymore.”

It sounds to me like he's saying 'Support our troops, bring them home in defeat". The logic escapes me I'm afraid.

Quitting while you're ahead doesn't count as defeat, especially if the people fighting you have no interest in following you back to your home country. Sure, there are some foreign national career terrorists in Iraq fighting us, but they'd be going after us either way. The rest are just fighting those who are occupying their country, whether it's good for them or not.

Quitting while you're ahead doesn't count as defeat, especially if the people fighting you have no interest in following you back to your home country. Sure, there are some foreign national career terrorists in Iraq fighting us, but they'd be going after us either way. The rest are just fighting those who are occupying their country, whether it's good for them or not.

So, rather than keep the fight and focus on foreign soil you want to give them the time to catch their breath and possibly plan more detailed and successful attacks on American soil?

Do you honestly think that those that are fighting the "occupiers" are going to lay down like good little jihadists and quit fighting just because we left? Some may, but I would be willing to bet that many will not. They will continue to fight in their land and very likely on the national front.

Call me chickenlittle all you like. I have seen enough of this wide world and been around long enough to know that you can not expect someone to change an entire mindset overnight.

I think some of them will go back to focusing on America, but the rest will go back home and fight the Sunnis/Shi'ites depending on whichever they are. Really only the foreign fighters and those who were already terrorists before the invasion would go after us now, if you don't count those who have lost family members to the Americans and join up for revenge.

No matter how many you kill in a foreign country, there will be more. I'm certain there are terrorists already inside the United States. And unless you plan on placing everyone in the U.S. under constant surveillance, I don't see how you can defeat terrorists. At the same time, while they do kill people, they can never defeat us using terrorism. Sort of like an annoying mosquito that always avoids the swatter but can't do any fatal damage.

Back