-=SF_13=-
January 21st, 2005  
SHERMAN

to say the least.
January 24th, 2005  
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow
You have a very simplistic view of the Muslim world.
well, when you explain it that way

Its not a complicated question you know - I as asking what your view of Islam is, since I do question the required answer - ie:

Islam is about peace and the actions of OBL, Hamas, the Chechens, the Kashmiri seperatists, etc, etc, etc, are not at all representative of Islamic theology/ideology.

It seems that deviation from this mantra is cause for personal attacks ( "you are a bigot" "you are a simpleton" ) - attacks that require no type of facts to back them up

I am interested in the topic, not because I am "obsessed" or "hate" muslims - but because it is a reality of our times. We are engaged in a war at this very moment against islamist facists - men driven by islamlist ideology

Now you can say "they are not following true islam" - but what do you base this observtion upon - your own understanding of what religious faith means?

And if scholars such as Daniel Pipes are correct, and this Islamist ideology carries weight with at least 10% of the muslims in the world - we are talking about 100 MILLION people here.

This is not worthy of discussion?

Anyone who wants to discuss these issues has a "simplistic view" of the Muslim world?

You don't mind if I suggest that quite the opposite is true - that those who want to ignore these issues have the simplistic view of the world - muslim and otherwise.

I understand that there is an othordox view of these things being enforced by some members - an effort to silence any other view through simple attacks on others ( a tactic in widespread use in the muslim world I might note ) - I wonder if others all agree?

I was also told that this kind of discussion does not belong in this topic -

let me understand this - a discussion of these issues doesn't belong in a topic that began as an explanation of how it is important to "edit what we think about muslims"

I can't think of a better place for this debate frankly

Should we be editting what we think about muslims?

Should we also edit what we think about American's - to avoid any offensive generalizations? This would pretty much put an end to the European media :P
--
Boots
January 24th, 2005  
Anya1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
All I'm saying is how the American public sees things. Sure you can argue me and make me say it is unfair, but regardless of whether it is just or not, it is the perception that deliniates whether someone wants to hug you or shoot you.

The perception is one of speculation because you NEVER see any prominent muslims going out and saying "These Al-Quaida killers must be delivered to American justice" but you do hear "don't racially profile, 24 is derogatory to muslims".

I tell you as history as my witness that if Muslims do not fall into step with their American breatheren then I am afriad I forsee some terrible injustices will befall them.
since when did arrogance of a country fall into anything good? You can't damage 1000's of people for a terroist's fault. Muslim culture is bigger than america and they will stand fast, if they hadn't the gulf would of been over by now.

Going n blazing guns is not an answer. If so hang me for being catholic as my religion persecuted young girls for baring child out of wedlock, for torturing young girls for being attractive.So you going to blaze at Catholic's for making "magdeline homes"...............or killing 1000's of people in the roman times?

Because its the same
January 24th, 2005  
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya1982

since when did arrogance of a country fall into anything good? You can't damage 1000's of people for a terroist's fault. Muslim culture is bigger than america and they will stand fast, if they hadn't the gulf would of been over by now.

Going n blazing guns is not an answer. If so hang me for being catholic as my religion persecuted young girls for baring child out of wedlock, for torturing young girls for being attractive.So you going to blaze at Catholic's for making "magdeline homes"...............or killing 1000's of people in the roman times?

Because its the same
But you do criticize those catholic practices of old I see

So why can't we criticize Islamic practices of today

It seems that were some of the folks here around in the year 1400 they might well be calling those who questioned those practices "religious bigots slandering an entire faith"

After all - these practices were official chuch policy - they were supported by the majority of christians at the time

Would I be right to call this understanding of christianity in 1400 "simplistic"?

Or would these folks be calling attention to serious defects in the teachings of the faith at the time

You need to start with some understanding of the scale of the problem within Islam as a political ideology

Islam makes no such distinction of separation of church and state as we in the West understand it in the 21st C

Applying our standards to Islam - placing it in a box called "religion" and therefor beyond critical review is one of the greatest flaws in our effort to deal with the danger than militant islam represents to all of us
January 24th, 2005  
Anya1982

Topic: nope

thats just plain old arrogance
January 24th, 2005  
Redneck

Topic: Re: nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya1982
thats just plain old arrogance

How so? Explain yourself.
January 25th, 2005  
Whispering Death

What I'm noticing in the people like anya1982 who try to dispute what I'm saying is that they are telling me how things should be and I am telling you how things are.

Of course there shouldn't be any bad feelings towards muslims in America. But because the American muslims are not speaking out against these terrorist attacks, increasingly Americans are getting warry of just whose side they are on.

Remember, no human being should have ever gone alone with the holocaust but millions of germans who are no different from you or I did do it.
January 25th, 2005  
Anya1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
What I'm noticing in the people like anya1982 who try to dispute what I'm saying is that they are telling me how things should be and I am telling you how things are.

Of course there shouldn't be any bad feelings towards muslims in America. But because the American muslims are not speaking out against these terrorist attacks, increasingly Americans are getting warry of just whose side they are on.

Remember, no human being should have ever gone alone with the holocaust but millions of germans who are no different from you or I did do it.
Arrogance again.

1) I ain't saying what should be.

2) i am not slamming on old practises, iw as just saying if your gonna tortue every islam.muslim for 9/11 then why not torture catholics as they were worse in hsitory.Mod edit: another derisive bigotted comment this time it's anti-catholic, for shame.

3) Mod Edit: Ratchet it down .

4) What you lot are talking about is a plain salem witch hunt