Edit: Tsunamis Kills More than 140,000 in South-East Asia

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Ok Francly Speaking I had not heard that word "tsunamis " before like Many other who were Caught By surprise.............and still can't belive what happned without warning ...........No Bad weather , No Forcast of rain , No storm , and still the Sea came at them

This is the world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years.......that Triggred the Tsunami .

"All the planet is vibrating" from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

The U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) measured the quake at a magnitude of 8.9. Geophysicist Julie Martinez said it was the world's fifth-largest since 1900 and the largest since a 9.2 temblor hit Prince William Sound Alaska in 1964. Source

In India, beaches were turned into virtual open-air mortuaries, with bodies of people caught in the tidal wave being washed ashore.

In Tamil Nadu state, just across the straits from Sri Lanka, 1,567 people were killed, said the state's top elected official, Chief Minister Jayaram Jayalalithaa. Source

Sri-lamka is the worst Hit by this ..............the Death Toll would not tell you the Actual Story .............Millions are Homeless there ...............I just heard Sri-lankan President have Declared emergency and Asked Indian Government for help ...............and Navy Spokseman have Just Condifmed Navy has been Mobilised to assist Sri-Lanka

DISASTER TOLL
  • Sri Lanka: 2,400 dead
  • Indonesia: 1,873 dead
  • India: 1,200 dead
  • Thailand: 257 dead
  • Malaysia: 17 dead
  • Maldives: 10 dead

Millions Of people and hundereds of Boats Still un-accounted for ............this Toll is Defabitely Going to Rise as the Day Progresses

And some Sites as i Type have Raised this Number to 7000 to 8000 Confirmed Dead

Area Affeacted
Detailedmap.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4125481.stm#map

Sea surges kill thousands in Asia
More than 5,000 people have been killed across southern Asia in massive sea surges triggered by the strongest earthquake in the world for 40 years.

The 8.9 magnitude quake struck under the sea near Aceh in north Indonesia, generating a wall of water that sped across thousands of kilometres of sea.

More than 2,400 died in Sri Lanka, 1,870 in Indonesia and 1,200 in India.

Casualty figures are rising over a wide area, including tourist resorts on Thailand packed with holidaymakers.

Exact numbers of people killed, injured or missing in the countries hit, are impossible to confirm.

Hundreds are still thought to be missing from coastal regions and, in Sri Lanka alone, officials say more than a million people have been forced from their homes.

Click here for map of affected area

Sri Lankan President Chandrika Kumaratunga declared a national disaster and the military has been deployed to help rescue efforts.

Hundreds of fishermen are missing off India's southern coast, and there are reports of scores of bodies now being washed up on beaches.

Night has fallen in Indonesia and communications remain difficult, particularly to the strife-torn region of Aceh where the main quake was followed by nine aftershocks. Reports speak of bodies being recovered from trees.

A national disaster has also been announced in the low-lying Maldives islands, more than 2,500km (1,500 miles) from the quake's epicentre, after they were hit by severe flooding.

Waves forced out from the earthquake are even reported to have reached Somalia, on the east coast of Africa.

Resort 'wiped out'

Harrowing reports of people caught in the devastation and dramatic tales of escape from the waves are emerging from around the region.

A resident of Kakinada in India's southern Andhra Pradesh province, P Ramanamurthy, said he saw fishermen clinging to upturned boats being swept out to sea.

"I was shocked to see innumerable fishing boats flying on the shoulder of the waves, going back and forth into the sea, as if made of paper," he told the Associated Press news agency.

In Thailand, hundreds of holiday bungalows are reported to have been destroyed on the popular Phi Phi island.

Resort owner Chan Marongtaechar said he feared hundreds of people might have been lost.

"I am afraid that there will be a high figure of foreigners missing in the sea, and also my staff," he told

Indonesia's location - along the Pacific geological "Ring of Fire" - makes it prone to volcanic eruptions and earthquakes.

Sunday's tremor - the fifth strongest since 1900 - had a particularly widespread effect because it seems to have taken place just below the surface of the ocean, analysts say.

Bruce Presgrave of the US Geological service told the Reuters news agency: "These big earthquakes, when they occur in shallow water... basically slosh the ocean floor... and it's as if you're rocking water in the bathtub and that wave can travel throughout the ocean."

Experts say tsunamis generated by earthquakes can travel at up to 500km/h.

Source

In pictures: Asian quake disaster

Hi,

If Some of you are wondering why the Figures At My source Differ with what i provided in the Quote in Above Post thats because it's Increasing Very fast.

DISASTER TOLL
  • Sri Lanka: 3,225 dead
  • Indonesia: 1,873 dead
  • India: 2,000 dead
  • Thailand: 257 dead
  • Malaysia: 28 dead
  • Maldives: 10 dead
  • Bangladesh: 2 dead

More than 7,000 people have been killed across southern Asia in massive sea surges triggered by the strongest earthquake in the world for 40 years.

These are the figures 20 Minutes After I Posted ......so they might be Different when you View the BBC Site .

Someone asked me this . ..........So Just wanted to Clear that up..

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Hi

Yes beardo it was a tourist Season and People form All Around the world were there :(

Tourist resorts in and Around Bangkok were Filled to capacity .

They were there to celebrate the Holiday season :(

Redleg

I Refresherd the page Twice and by then it had reached to 8,000 ......And 9,500 Confirmed dead on the next refresh

World - Reuters
Reuters
Asian Quake, Tsunami Death Toll Approaches 9,500

10 minutes ago

Source

:(

[Edit]

This is gettig worse and worse Last time i checked the Death Toll Stands at 11,300 and still increasing

Quake, Tsunami Devastate Asia; Over 11,300 Dead

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Hi,

Today with the Day Break Indian Government has Fond that casualities were worse than they expected on the remote Islands of Andaman and Nikobar............2000 people have been reported Dead there alone,

raising the Indian casulity Figures to 6000 to 7000 alone

So the Above figures given in the Above Posts are Useless now...........:(

.and Furthur the Minister and Disaster Recovery Commatte said they are Expecting the Final telly to be around 40,000 to 50,000 :(

These are the Figures released by Indian Government :(

Peace
-=SF_13=-

The whole thing is just unbelievable.. :?

I just hope that the rest of the world will do whatever they can to help out now.

Tens of thousands killed, hundreds of thousands (or more) injured and homeless...

Even small country like Norway have been affected...
13 killed Norwegians reported so far, and the number is expected to rise even more.

The magnitude of this tragedy is almost unimaginable. I join Redleg in hoping that the rest of the world comes together and does whatever needs to be done to help the survivors and the areas affected.
My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this catastrophe.

The numbers are rising all the time...

Reuters - Sri Lanka's government said on Tuesday
more than 18,700 people are confirmed dead two days after a
tsunami battered the island and officials fear the toll will
hit 25,000.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20041228/wl_nm/quake_lanka_deaths_dc]Read more...[/url]

Reuters - The death toll from an
earthquake and tsunami that struck Indonesia's Sumatra island
two days ago has reached 7,072 in Aceh province, according to a
list shown to journalists on Tuesday by a provincial official.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20041228/wl_nm/quake_indonesia_toll_aceh_dc]Read more...[/url]

Reuters - Rescuers began reaching
India's remote Andaman and Nicobar islands on Tuesday, two days
after passage of a devastating tsunami, to find barely a third
of residents on one were still alive.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20041228/wl_nm/quake_india_dc]Read more...[/url]

My prayers are also with those hurt by this tragedy. I hope that enough swift action is taken by the world at large to save those who may still be alive and missing, or wounded.

HI,

Casualities are Going to Rise Dramatically as the Andaman and NIcobar Islands that are closet to the epi-center of the Dreaded Quake that Hit Asia unfolds...........It's worse than expected before.

Andaman and Nicobar is a Collection of 130 - 150 Small and Big Islands Close to Indonashia..........it is part of India

the Fate of 40,000 people living in the Island Western belt of the is Still not known.

The Unified IAF base at car Nicobar has been Simply Washed away...........The toll at this base..........was 27 confirmed dead and over 80 IAF personnel and their family members missing,.......... with officials saying there was almost no possibility of their survival now.

Three AN-32 transport Aircraft that were sent after the Earth Quake to evacuate people form the base came back and reported there is no base or Air Strip.........

And After reparing the Air Strip The three Aircraft landed there and the Air Chief marshal visted the Base himself followed.........and was greeted by a base Commander in pyjamas.......because he had nothig left to wear.

An an emotionally charged Air Chief Marshal S Krishnaswamy on his visit to that Air Force Station said

"In my 34 years of service, I have never seen an IAF base commander receive his chief dressed in a vest, pyjamas and chappal(Slippers). He has nothing left,"

And Indian help is being Sent to the Sri-lanka which took the Blunt of this Tsunanis............. Assistance to Sri Lanka is code-named Operation Rainbow included Dornier aircraft sorties with medical supplies

Apart from four Naval ships sent to Trincomalee and Galle ports. and three Western Naval Command vessels despatched to the Maldives..........Naval warships have been sent out all along the Eastern coast to rescue trapped fishermen and civilian passenger liners.

But it will take Much more than that .........it will take some rebuilding......which will require a Combined world effort.

Nuclear Plant Safe

ndian officials have sought to calm fears about the safety of a nuclear power plant at Kalpakkam in Tamil Nadu.

National Security Adviser JN Dixit told reporters after a cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning that there had been "inaccurate speculation" on the effect of Sunday's sea surges on the plant.

He said the basic facilities of the reactor were "safe and unaffected in any manner".

He also said there was no threat of radiation leaking.

Mr Dixit said the plant had been shut down because of flooding to allow cleaning and water removal to bring the plant back to normal functioning. Source

Death Toll is Increasing All the time :( .............Still the fate of Thousands of people is not known :(............ Thousands still missing in India

And i have Uncorfermed reports of this i will just confirm this in a short while The worse has Struck .......Worst news since this disaster Occured has came :(

Emergency workers found that 10,000 people had been killed in a single town, Meulaboh, in Aceh province at the northern tip of Sumatra island, the hardest hit region in Indonesia, said Purnomo Sidik, national disaster director at the Social Affairs Ministry.

If this is True it will take Death Toll to above 45,000

eace
-=SF_13=-

No Words Just Silence !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thousands more bodies were found in Indonesia, dramatically increasing the death toll across 11 nations to around 44,000.

Emergency workers found that 10,000 people had been killed in a single town, Meulaboh, in Aceh province at the northern tip of Sumatra island, the hardest hit region in Indonesia, said Purnomo Sidik, national disaster director at the Social Affairs Ministry.

Another 9,000 were confirmed dead so far in the provincial capital, Banda Aceh, and surrounding towns, he said. Along Aceh's hard-hit western coastline, villages were swamped up to the roofs, still unexplored by soldiers combing the area for survivors and dead. Refugees fleeing the area described surviving for days on little more than coconuts before reaching Banda Aceh.
Source

I will still wait for a few Other news Agancies to Confirm this News......Because this is the worst News Since the Disaster.

Peace
-=SF-13=-

this almost sounds too horrific to be true... i can't even imagine the hopelessness these people must feel. It amazes me that things like this can happen and yet these people still push forward and don't lose hope.

*** God please be with them all **

:cry:

Hi,

BBC Just Confirmed the Official Figure is Well Above 50,000 now ......and still no signs of it stopping ..........Check the Indonashia Figures they just confirmed and Increased a Single Town with 10,000 People Dead Found :(

One of the world's largest relief efforts is under way to help the millions of victims of the Asia quake, which killed more than 50,000 people.

CONFIRMED DEATH TOLL
Sri Lanka: 18,706 dead
Indonesia: 27,174 dead
India: 4,371 dead
Thailand: 1,400 dead
Maldives: 52 dead
Malaysia: 44 dead
Burma: 30 dead
Bangladesh: 2 dead
Somalia: 100 dead
Kenya: 1 dead
Seychelles: 3 dead
Tanzania: 10 dead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4129579.stm

It it truly unbelievable...

It is unreal to sit and watch the news here in Norway, seeing people getting washed away by the waves...

It's impossible to imagine how the ones who survived feels now, but my thoughts goes to all of those who have lost their friends and family!
Over 800 Norwegians have still not been found/contacted in Thailand, so it is truly a disaster that has affected the whole world!

I really hope that most of the world leaders focuses on this now, and starts to send help asap...

Norway have already sent some supplies down, and 50mill. NOK, have been given by the Government to different organizations that are preparing to go now.

A short SMS have been sent all over Norway now, asking everyone to light a candle in their windows in memory off the ones who died.
I can already see a lot of candles lighting up in the neighborhood here...
Last time a similar SMS "campaign" happened, the mobile companies gave all of the profit from those messages to charity, I hope (and believe) this will happen now as well...

One other good thing is that companies selling fireworks have recommended people to spend less on firecrackers and rockets this year, and give to charity instead..
Many of the fireworks sellers will also place money collection boxes in their shops.

Please light a candle in your window tonight as well!

Hi,

Wave toll could vary well exceed 100,000' :(

Almost 77,000 people have so far been confirmed dead. till now ............The true scale of the disaster may never be known :(

Wave toll 'could exceed 100,000'

The number of dead from Sunday's Indian Ocean sea surges is likely to rise above 100,000, the Red Cross has said.

Senior agency official Peter Rees said he thought the toll would rise sharply when victims are counted on India's remote Andaman and Nicobar islands.

Almost 77,000 people have so far been confirmed dead.

US President George W Bush pledged to set up an international coalition, with Australia, India and Japan, to co-ordinate the relief effort.

The US earlier said it was more than doubling its pledge of funds to the region to $35m.

The 9.0 magnitude quake happened just off the coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra early on Sunday and set off huge waves that reached as far as Africa.

Click here for map of affected area

The UN says disease could double the number killed by the waves.

'Unprecedented disaster'

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has said the death toll from the actual disaster could reach six figures once more remote areas are checked for victims.

"We're facing a disaster of unprecedented proportion in nature," said the federation's Asia-Pacific chief, Simon Missiri.

Many thousands of people are still unaccounted for, notably in the Indian-administered Andaman and Nicobar Islands near the earthquake's epicentre.

Some parts of the islands, which have a total population of 350,000, are still said to be cut off from the outside world.

At least 4,000 are known to have died on the islands, but a police chief who has flown over the stricken areas said one in five of the islanders was either dead, missing or injured.

Scavenging

In Indonesia, thousands of troops have been drafted into the north-western province of Aceh to dig mass graves.

One army battalion sent previously to the region to fight a rebel insurgency is said to have been wiped out.

The BBC's Rachel Harvey in the provincial capital, Banda Aceh, says that in the space of 20 minutes she counted 10 lorries filled with bodies arriving at one grave.

There were still bodies lying in the rubble in some areas while survivors scavenged nearby for food, she says.

The first ship carrying emergency supplies is reported to have reached the worst hit Indonesian town of Meulaboh, where 10,000 are feared dead - 10% of the population.

But many areas along the western coast of Sumatra have still not been reached.

And our correspondent says that while aid is arriving in the region, it still only feels like a trickle.

Aid challenge

Plane loads of supplies are arriving in Sri Lanka - the worst-affected country outside Indonesia, where more than 22,000 people are known to have died.

A UN team is also on the island to co-ordinate the relief effort.

But the BBC's Roland Buerk on the southern coast says getting the aid to the worst-hit areas will be a huge logistical operation.

The Tamil Tiger rebels - who control large stretches of affected coast in the north - say that so far they have received no help from the authorities.

Meanwhile in Thailand, thousands of tourists remain unaccounted for, and bodies are still being recovered from the wreckage of collapsed hotels on the Andaman Sea coast.

A TV News Special on the disaster, including reports from BBC correspondents across the region, will be broadcast on BBC One and BBC World TV at 1930 GMT on Wednesday.

Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Medical experts do also fear the the number could easily be doubled in the near future due to epidemics.
Most of the drinking water have been polluted, either by seawater, corpses of humans and animals, or sewer.

I saw on the news here in Norway that several water purification companies are working around the clock now to make portable water purifications kits to send down to some of the worst areas.

One other thing is that the identification work are becoming almost impossible now, due to the decaying bodies and fear of diseases.
Mass graves have been dug all over the region, and it's quite possible that tens of thousands of families never will find out where their loved ones are buried.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/29/i...00&en=c53c3401e7625a08&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt

what a horrible thing. its top news around the clock here, with so many Israelis there on vacation and all...188 Israelis missing right now... :(

Hi,

Yes Aid Efforts and on ...............and many Countries are generousling Giving Aid to the affected Countries.............

India has Also Pleaged over 23 million dollars in monetary aid to neighbouring Sri Lanka and the Maldives both the Countries are devistated by this Killer Waves ..............and Indian Navy and IAF too is trying it's best to get Aid to these Countries...............This operation is being Run on War Sale and is Code Named Operation Rainbow ....IAF is Still Flying Sorties with relif Supplies......These Countries can't fend for themselfves right now ..............their major Source of Income was Tourism about 20 to 50 % of their GDP and it is destroid and if outside help is not provided it wqould be virtually imposssible for them to cope with it.........Currently 2 War Shipes Loaded with Supplies and Helicopters and Planes Form the Weastern Indian Fleet is in Maldives and three War shipes are Docked in Sri Lanka.

India has Also Rejected Foreign Aid ...........But you can Send Donations as Individually to the Prime Minister's relif Fund.

New Delhi: India has turned down foreign aid as it has "adequate resources" to provide relief to victims of a deadly tsunami that killed thousands of Asians, a government official said Wednesday.

India has been flooded with "generous offers of aid" from countries like Russia, the United States, Israel and Japan, said the official who did not want to be named.
"In fact, all friendly nations have offered help but we feel we do have the resources to handle the situation. If at a later stage we feel we need assistance we will not hesitate to ask," said the source.

"Right now we not only have adequate resources but have gone out and mounted a huge relief effort for Sri Lanka and Maldives. We could not have done this if we were facing a problem in Indian relief operations."

The Indian government says it has sent warships, helicopters and aircraft to distribute food, medicines and blankets to neighbouring Sri Lanka and the Maldives and has promised over 23 million dollars in monetary aid.

In addition to the Rs 5 billion provided for relief work Monday by the Indian government, another Rs 2 billion has been earmarked to rebuild rural housing.

Source

Can't say the Same for Sri Lanka , Maldieves and Moritious ..........Moritious PM said that the Loss could Gross higher than their Annual GDP ..............and it would be after the New year eve that Outside help would Acctually Arrive i full Force. :(

And the Spread of Disease is a Big Threat

Sri Lanka said it was getting its first reports of measles and diarrhea. Paramedics in southern India began vaccinating 65,000 survivors against cholera, typhoid, hepatitis A and dysentery, and authorities sprayed bleaching powder on beaches where bodies have been recovered.

Source

"Even those people who (didn't lose homes) can't get food. Nothing is available," .............Food Shortage is Also a Big Problem and Many Could die of Starvation and MalNuteration.

The world's biggest reinsurer, Germany's Munich Re, estimated the damage to buildings and foundations in the affected regions would be at least $13.6 billion.

Donations for recovery efforts came in from all parts of the globe.

The governments of the United States, Australia and Japan pledged a combined $100 million while taxi drivers in Singapore put donation tins in their cars and volunteers in Thailand text-messaged aquaintances to give blood to the Red Cross.

You as an Invidual can Also Contribute in a Big way........Not just with money but small things Like a Pack of Chocolates or Biscuts( non perisable Food items) or a Blanket or Donate Blood even a Single penny would be worth a effort if you can spare it..........It could go a Big way in helping people Despirate for need ............you can Donate Stuff at the Nearest Red Cross Office.........Give your Donation only to Reputed Organisations only.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

HI,

Foreigners Killed in Asia Disaster

By The Associated Press

The tally of foreigners confirmed dead from the quake and tsunamis throughout southern Asia, according to their countries' foreign ministries. Authorities said many more are missing and feared dead. Thai authorities said 473 foreigners from 36 nations were confirmed dead from Thailand's southern resorts alone.

• Britain: 26
  • Germany: 26
  • France: 20
  • Italy: 14
  • United States: 12
  • Switzerland: 11
  • Australia: 9
  • Sweden: 6
  • Denmark: 6
  • Netherlands: 5
  • Japan: 5
  • Austria: 5