Edit: Tsunamis Kills More than 140,000 in South-East Asia

I think this month's $100 charity donation should go to a Tsunami relief fund, to me it seems like the most obvious choice.

wow! that is amazing! and very very scary

3n_combo1_wideweb__430x284.jpg

The list with missing and dead Norwegians will be published today...
I'm not looking forward to reading them, I'm afraid that there may be some unpleasant surprises there... :?

The Swedish police doesn't want to publish their lists yet, because they are afraid that criminals could use them as "shopping lists" to find empty houses... :?
Something similar happened 28 September 1994 when at least 852 people lost their life's in the shipwreck of M/V Estonia.
Many of the empty houses were robbed just after the lists were published....

I believe I heard on CNN that 3000 Americans are missing there as well. I only heard it while working so I may be mistaken on the number. I did hear that they expect the death toll to rise to over 200,000 now. There were 80,000 deaths in Sumatra alone and it's been wiped clean as a billiard table. Just impossible to really imagine that kind of devastation. It may, however, be an opportunity for this world to come together on something real and lasting if the relief effort can be handled well. I sure hope it does. The story that got to me the most was the woman who had four children and could only hold on to two while she watched the other two washed away. Imagine having to live with that kind of choice.

The official list of missing Norwegians have been published now:
http://saknet1.kripos.no
http://www7.nrk.no/nyheter/innenriks/flodbolgekatastrofen/

The numbers have (luckilly) decreased, so there's 275 missing persons on the list now.
The number of confirmed dead Norwegians have also gone down a bit, to 16.

I just hope that the numbers will decrease (a lot) more now when everyone can see and check the names.

I've added a new section to Wardrums.com now.

Asian Tsunami Disaster News

It's updated several times pr day..

New Zealand just upped it's donation to 10 million dollars!

went to the supermarket today and in the "please doante your change..."
charity box there were 20 and 50 dollar notes.

it amazing the general populations response to this crisis

chewie_nz said:

This is just a great example of the power of good media coverage.... :?
Africa is facing over three Tsunamis disasters every year (compared to the number of dead) from all kinds of disasters, but you barely hear anything at all about them...
I read a rather good article in the news here yesterday, and it made me wonder if we're "over reacting" a bit when it comes to supporting the Tsunami victims...
UN is worried that we donate "too much" now to the Tsunami victims, so we feel that we don't need to give anything more this year to other areas that needs (at least) as much help as Asia..

Please don't get me wrong, I really believe they need all the support they can get, but so do many other lesser known countries as well...
But it looks like it all comes down to who gets the best press coverage, and if "your disaster" is a "popular" one or not (in the public opinion)

I'll post in the General Chit Chat forum about this later, so I'll try not go go completely off-topic here now... :)

Anyway, here's some more unbelievable images from the Disaster:
http://www.vg.no/bilderigg/index.hbs?rigg_id=2605&plass=1
It's in Norwegian, but the images should speak for themselves..
Click "Neste" to view the next image..

Redleg said:
chewie_nz said:

This is just a great example of the power of good media coverage.... :?
Africa is facing over three Tsunamis disasters every year (compared to the number of dead) from all kinds of disasters, but you barely hear anything at all about them...
I read a rather good article in the news here yesterday, and it made me wonder if we're "over reacting" a bit when it comes to supporting the Tsunami victims...
UN is worried that we donate "too much" now to the Tsunami victims, so we feel that we don't need to give anything more this year to other areas that needs (at least) as much help as Asia..

Please don't get me wrong, I really believe they need all the support they can get, but so do many other lesser known countries as well...
But it looks like it all comes down to who gets the best press coverage, and if "your disaster" is a "popular" one or not (in the public opinion)

I'll post in the General Chit Chat forum about this later, so I'll try not go go completely off-topic here now... :)

Anyway, here's some more unbelievable images from the Disaster:
http://www.vg.no/bilderigg/index.hbs?rigg_id=2605&plass=1
It's in Norwegian, but the images should speak for themselves..
Click "Neste" to view the next image..

that is a VERY good point. we never realyy did get up off our collective arse to "fix" africa....it was almost like band aid was enough.

406843292beforeap0id.jpg

406843272afterap2205sc.jpg

I heard on the news this morning that the official number of dead after the Tsunami disaster is up to 280,000 now! :shock:

And they fear that diseases may kill tens of thousands more.. :?

Back