Edit: Tsunamis Kills More than 140,000 in South-East Asia - Page 3

--
Boots

December 29th, 2004  
larsrq

According to some Swedish news stations there are about 3000 people missing from the nordic countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Finland)
December 29th, 2004  
Redleg

The official number from Norway is 20 dead, and 450 still missing....

Most of them in Thailand (Phuket area)
It's a very popular holiday destination for Scandinavians.
December 30th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

5000, last time i checked the number was way beyond that, i was watching the news and they had some Austrailian guy thanking God for his survival and the survival of his children and his wife, even in the darkest hours hope remains constant, and so does God

Admin edit: Watch what you are saying!
--
Boots
December 30th, 2004  
Locke

what i found unbelivable was this:
you are sitting on the beach, and all of a sudden, the water starts *retreating, into the sea* what do you do??? now i dont think im especially knowledgable, but i know that when the water starts retreating, that means a tsunami. yet there are videos of people sitting on the beachs and its only once the waves hit taht they start to panic
i feel so frustrated
i wish they knew had known this as more may have lived

i read in an article in the Age (sorry, physical article, not online) that the tactonic plate that was dislodged was over 100km long and was pushed up 30m.
ironically they think that this movement, because it was so drastic, may actually reduce the number of earthquakes in japan due to the now displaced tactonic plates!!!!
December 30th, 2004  
AussieNick

And to think the Australian government put out travel warnings about S-E Asia due to terrorist threats. When it's not one thing it's the next.
December 30th, 2004  
Locke

did anyone else see "the day after tomorrow"
when they realised there was going to be a cold snap it was because of bouys in the ocean.
surely there are actually bouys out there and if they are displaced enough then it triggers an alert that there is a tsunami coming

its scary to think of what has happened to Aceh, which was only 60k's from the epicentre. i think the worst things is that now the water is inland and still, diseases will spread
December 30th, 2004  
chewie_nz

I think my favorite sentence from Dubya during his comments this morning was:

"I am not a geologist."

gee, thanks for clearing that up.

and it is nice to know that Pfizer is matching the government's contributions... geez.

http://www.msn.pldt.com.ph/news/arti...nid=5180&sid=2

Jojo Acuin's eerie prediction: Expect more quakes!
By EFREN B. MONTANO

People's Tonight

MORE earthquakes will shake Asia, including the Philippines, People's Tonight resident psychic Jojo Acuin said yesterday even as mild tremors hit Bataan and Davao early yesterday morning.

For his 2005 (Year of the Rooster) prediction, Acuin said earthquakes will shake Luzon and the Visayas.

Temblors will also stun Japan and Malaysia as well as -- again -- India and China, he said.

In predicting that more temblors will hit the region, Acuin again demonstrates his uncanny ability to predict events in the future. It may be recalled that he predicted in 2003 that an earthquake will strike India, Malaysia and Thailand.

In the Nov. 20, 2003 issue of People's Tonight entitled "Satanism, Wars, Chaos and Cults," Acuin said that Malaysia and Thailand will tremble.

He added that a big quiver in Indonesia and India will occur.

Later, Acuin said that 2004 will be a tragic year for India following tens of thousands of deaths owing to a big quake.

The death toll from an earthquake off Indonesia (that measured 9 on the Richter scale) and the tsunamis that it unleashed in Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Maldives, Bangladesh and India reached more than 14,122.

Sri Lanka was hard hit with 4,857 people confirmed dead, and 1,538 others reported missing. In Indonesia, at least 4,448 people were killed as the country took the full force of the huge earthquake and tsunamis that swallowed entire coastal villages.

At least 4,278 people were killed in southern India. At least 461 people were killed and more than 3,800 injured in southern Thailand, including foreign tourists at famous seaside resorts.

In Malaysia, 44 people, including many elderly and children, were killed, officials said. A British tourist and 31 other people died in the low-lying Maldives, officials said.

In Bangladesh, a father and child were killed after a tourist boat capsized from large waves.

In an unrelated development, one person was reported dead, another missing and 23 injured after a series of 47 earthquakes in southwestern China's Yunnan province. Some of the quakes as powerful as 5 on the Richter scale struck over a 17-hour period Sunday.

Yunnan province, in a quake-prone part of China, experienced a tremor in August that left more than 125,000 homeless, killed four and injured nearly 600.

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs said yesterday it has not received reports yet of a Filipino casualty killed in the tsunami waves that hit Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, Malaysia and Thailand.

About 5,000 Filipinos are deployed as overseas Filipino workers in all of Indonesia and 70 in Phuket, the popular resort city in Thailand that was hit by the tsunami. Only 600 Filipinos work in India.
December 30th, 2004  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

Ocean disaster toll 114,000 Dead and 5 Million people Homeless

And Still fate of Thousenad not known

CONFIRMED DEATH TOLL
  1. Indonesia: 79,940
  2. Sri Lanka: 24,743
  3. India: 7,330
  4. Thailand: 2,394
  5. Somalia: 120
  6. Burma: 90
  7. Maldives: 67
  8. Malaysia: 65
  9. Tanzania: 10
  10. Seychelles: 1
  11. Bangladesh: 2
  12. Kenya: 1

Quote:
Ocean disaster toll hits 114,000

New figures reveal at least 114,000 people died in Sunday's ocean disaster.

Officials in Indonesia say the number killed there is now nearly 80,000 and the death toll from the worst-hit area is set to rise still higher.

Aid workers are meanwhile struggling to reach the millions who survived the devastating waves but who now have little water, food or shelter.

Relief teams and supplies are pouring into the region but have yet to reach the hardest-hit and most remote areas.

There are reports of desperate people fighting over aid. Aftershocks and fears of new tsunamis have sown panic among survivors in Indonesia and India.

Across the region thousands remain unaccounted for since the 9.0 magnitude undersea earthquake off Sumatra that forced a wall of water smashing into coastlines as far away as east Africa.

Click here for map of affected area

The US, Australia, Japan and India have formed a coalition to provide relief.

Foreign governments have pledged more than $220m in aid - $35m of which is promised by the US.

City of corpses

Health ministry officials in Indonesia put the new death toll at 79,940.

They explained that the figure had jumped by more than 20,000 after large numbers of bodies were found on Sumatra's remote north-west coast, the area of land closest to the epicentre of the earthquake that triggered the waves.

Government institutions in the region have collapsed and fuel supplies have almost run out, officials said.

The BBC's Andrew Harding in Banda Aceh says relief supplies are barely trickling into the city where drinking water is also scarce and corpses clog the streets.

A logistical nightmare awaits the massive aid operation, he says.

There are reports of fighting among survivors over food in the city.

"There is no food here whatsoever. We need rice. We need medicine. I haven't eaten in two days," a local woman told Reuters news agency.

A lone airport serves the entire region and road links to many remote areas have been washed away by sea waters.

On Thursday, aftershocks off Indonesia triggered fresh panic among survivors in Aceh.

Frustration

Rumours of impending waves quickly spread to the two other countries which bore the brunt of Sunday's tsunamis - India and Sri Lanka.

Indian officials issued a warning, prompting many people to flee coastal areas both in southern India and Sri Lanka.

The UN's relief co-ordinator, Jan Egeland, has said it will take another "two or three days" for the relief effort to get into full swing - by which time it may be too late for tens of thousands of people.

"We are doing very little at the moment," he said.

"I believe the frustration will be growing in the days and weeks ahead."

There are fears that epidemics will erupt because water supplies have been contaminated.

The head of the World Health Organization's crisis team, David Nabarro, says as many as five million people cannot get water, food or adequate sanitation.

Source
Peace
-=SF_13=-
December 30th, 2004  
Redleg

The whole thing is just unreal and unbelievable...

We may be facing the worst loss of human lives since World War 2 here in Scandinavia now..

21 Norwegians and 44 Swedes have been confirmed killed so far, but the actual number may be far far greater...

430 Norwegians are officially missing, and 830 more could have been in the disaster areas (and have still not been contacted)..
The numbers for Sweden may be even bigger, and the Prime Minister are talking about several hundreds to Thousand killed...

Everyone who have something to spare should donate to one of the organizations who helps out down there!
But please do only donate to well known organizations, there have already been rumors about fake websites/charities!!

I will start a new thread in the general chit chat forum with links to thrusted organizations, that are working in the disaster areas now!

Edit: Here it is:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum...pic.php?t=7881
December 30th, 2004  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

The Stone age, Jarawa tribals in the midst of tropical forests............. about 50 km. from Port Blair.............the capital of Andaman and Nicobar islands.

Little is known About them ...............When a group of newsmen Chennai visited their habitat.......... they learned that they were an innocent, healthy people, who go around naked .

The main reason for them staying healthy was that they hunt and eat fresh when they are really hungry.............. Of late, exposure to people from the civilised world, have resulted in the tribals contracting skin diseases, influenza, etc.

The Jarawas, who are a pure Negrito tribe,...................nobody knows how they managed to come form Africa to here which is more that 50,000 miles away some say they made wodden rafts and somehow managed to sail this far .......They came here Thousands of years Ago .........amasing .

So the Government banned Visitors form Outside ...........they have lived in islolation form Thousands of years .................they are the only Paleolithic people found in the world..............some say Around 300 of them Still Roam the Nicobar Forests.........They are perhaps the world's only Palaeolithic (Stone Age) people surviving today.

This Place is the Closest to the Epi-center of the EarthQuake and fears were that they would have been completely wiped out................But officials say the Tribes are safe. thank God at last a Good news Amist all this bad news

One IAF helocopter Described Seeing them Laying the beach ...........

"Our helicopter pilot who flew over the island told me that he has seen several groups of Sentinelese on the beach and that when he dropped food packets they threw stones at the helicopter."

Maybe they Don't Understand whats Happning ............they Still Hunt with Bows and arrows and Stone Spears .

Quote:
India's tribal people safe after tsunami - official

By Suresh Seshadri

PORT BLAIR, India (Reuters) - India's dwindling aboriginal population in the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands is safe as most lived in jungles, far away from the coast hit by a devastating tsunami, a coast guard official said on Thursday.

Experts had feared that some Stone Age tribal people, who have been living on the far-flung archipelago for thousands of years, could be on the verge of extinction after the killer waves that have killed more than 120,000 people across Asia.

"There have been several media reports talking about a threat to the aborigines, indigenous people and tribals of the islands," Vice Admiral Arun Kumar Singh, director-general of the Coast Guard, which is involved in rescue operations, told reporters.

"I have personally verified the extent of this claim and let me tell you that it is absolutely rubbish."

The Andaman and Nicobar group is a cluster of more than 550 islands, of which only about three dozen are inhabited.

The island chain is home to about six tribes of Mongoloid and Negrito origin. Many of the indigenous people are semi-nomadic and subsist on hunting with spears, bows and arrows as well as fishing and gathering fruit and roots. They still cover themselves with tree bark or leaves.

Singh said the Nicobarese, the largest tribal group that lives on Car Nicobar and adjoining islands, bore the brunt of the waves, but the exact death toll was not known.

Coast Guard surveys showed the rest of the tribes such as the Shompen, the Jarawa and the Sentinelese had escaped either because they lived in the jungles far from the coast or because their islands were barely touched by the waves.

"In the Middle Andaman the Jarawa tribes are there and there has not been a single report of casualty. The Sentinelese of North Sentinel Island, which some reports say have been completely wiped out, are all very much there," Singh said.

More than 13,000 people are dead or are feared to have died in India from the tsunami, but rescuers are still struggling to assess the toll in the Andaman and Nicobar islands.

Officials said more than 6,000 people were feared dead in the island chain alone, which is closer to Myanmar and Indonesia than the Indian mainland and is home to more than 350,000 people.

Around 30,000 of the islands' total population is tribal, the majority Nicobarese.

The rest are smaller groups. Some like the Great Andamanese are already down to 30 people while others like the Shompen number between 200-250.

The number of the Onge, one of the most primitive tribes, has fallen in past decades to about 100. There are about 200 Sentinelese, probably one of the world's only surviving palaeolithic people, who are generally hostile to outsiders.

"Our helicopter pilot who flew over the island told me that he has seen several groups of Sentinelese on the beach and that when he dropped food packets they threw stones at the helicopter."

Source
Peace
-=SF_13=-