Edit: Tsunamis Kills More than 140,000 in South-East Asia

According to some Swedish news stations there are about 3000 people missing from the nordic countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland and Finland)

The official number from Norway is 20 dead, and 450 still missing.... :?

Most of them in Thailand (Phuket area)
It's a very popular holiday destination for Scandinavians.

5000, last time i checked the number was way beyond that, i was watching the news and they had some Austrailian guy thanking God for his survival and the survival of his children and his wife, even in the darkest hours hope remains constant, and so does God

Admin edit: Watch what you are saying!

what i found unbelivable was this:
you are sitting on the beach, and all of a sudden, the water starts *retreating, into the sea* what do you do??? now i dont think im especially knowledgable, but i know that when the water starts retreating, that means a tsunami. yet there are videos of people sitting on the beachs and its only once the waves hit taht they start to panic
i feel so frustrated
i wish they knew had known this as more may have lived

i read in an article in the Age (sorry, physical article, not online) that the tactonic plate that was dislodged was over 100km long and was pushed up 30m.
ironically they think that this movement, because it was so drastic, may actually reduce the number of earthquakes in japan due to the now displaced tactonic plates!!!!

And to think the Australian government put out travel warnings about S-E Asia due to terrorist threats. When it's not one thing it's the next.

did anyone else see "the day after tomorrow"
when they realised there was going to be a cold snap it was because of bouys in the ocean.
surely there are actually bouys out there and if they are displaced enough then it triggers an alert that there is a tsunami coming

its scary to think of what has happened to Aceh, which was only 60k's from the epicentre. i think the worst things is that now the water is inland and still, diseases will spread

I think my favorite sentence from Dubya during his comments this morning was:

"I am not a geologist."

gee, thanks for clearing that up.

and it is nice to know that Pfizer is matching the government's contributions... geez.

http://www.msn.pldt.com.ph/news/article.aspx?nid=5180&sid=2

Jojo Acuin's eerie prediction: Expect more quakes!
By EFREN B. MONTANO

People's Tonight

MORE earthquakes will shake Asia, including the Philippines, People's Tonight resident psychic Jojo Acuin said yesterday even as mild tremors hit Bataan and Davao early yesterday morning.

For his 2005 (Year of the Rooster) prediction, Acuin said earthquakes will shake Luzon and the Visayas.

Temblors will also stun Japan and Malaysia as well as -- again -- India and China, he said.

In predicting that more temblors will hit the region, Acuin again demonstrates his uncanny ability to predict events in the future. It may be recalled that he predicted in 2003 that an earthquake will strike India, Malaysia and Thailand.

In the Nov. 20, 2003 issue of People's Tonight entitled "Satanism, Wars, Chaos and Cults," Acuin said that Malaysia and Thailand will tremble.

He added that a big quiver in Indonesia and India will occur.

Later, Acuin said that 2004 will be a tragic year for India following tens of thousands of deaths owing to a big quake.

The death toll from an earthquake off Indonesia (that measured 9 on the Richter scale) and the tsunamis that it unleashed in Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia, Maldives, Bangladesh and India reached more than 14,122.

Sri Lanka was hard hit with 4,857 people confirmed dead, and 1,538 others reported missing. In Indonesia, at least 4,448 people were killed as the country took the full force of the huge earthquake and tsunamis that swallowed entire coastal villages.

At least 4,278 people were killed in southern India. At least 461 people were killed and more than 3,800 injured in southern Thailand, including foreign tourists at famous seaside resorts.

In Malaysia, 44 people, including many elderly and children, were killed, officials said. A British tourist and 31 other people died in the low-lying Maldives, officials said.

In Bangladesh, a father and child were killed after a tourist boat capsized from large waves.

In an unrelated development, one person was reported dead, another missing and 23 injured after a series of 47 earthquakes in southwestern China's Yunnan province. Some of the quakes as powerful as 5 on the Richter scale struck over a 17-hour period Sunday.

Yunnan province, in a quake-prone part of China, experienced a tremor in August that left more than 125,000 homeless, killed four and injured nearly 600.

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs said yesterday it has not received reports yet of a Filipino casualty killed in the tsunami waves that hit Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, Malaysia and Thailand.

About 5,000 Filipinos are deployed as overseas Filipino workers in all of Indonesia and 70 in Phuket, the popular resort city in Thailand that was hit by the tsunami. Only 600 Filipinos work in India.

Hi,

Ocean disaster toll 114,000 Dead and 5 Million people Homeless

And Still fate of Thousenad not known :( :( :(

CONFIRMED DEATH TOLL
  1. Indonesia: 79,940
  2. Sri Lanka: 24,743
  3. India: 7,330
  4. Thailand: 2,394
  5. Somalia: 120
  6. Burma: 90
  7. Maldives: 67
  8. Malaysia: 65
  9. Tanzania: 10
  10. Seychelles: 1
  11. Bangladesh: 2
  12. Kenya: 1

Ocean disaster toll hits 114,000

New figures reveal at least 114,000 people died in Sunday's ocean disaster.

Officials in Indonesia say the number killed there is now nearly 80,000 and the death toll from the worst-hit area is set to rise still higher.

Aid workers are meanwhile struggling to reach the millions who survived the devastating waves but who now have little water, food or shelter.

Relief teams and supplies are pouring into the region but have yet to reach the hardest-hit and most remote areas.

There are reports of desperate people fighting over aid. Aftershocks and fears of new tsunamis have sown panic among survivors in Indonesia and India.

Across the region thousands remain unaccounted for since the 9.0 magnitude undersea earthquake off Sumatra that forced a wall of water smashing into coastlines as far away as east Africa.

Click here for map of affected area

The US, Australia, Japan and India have formed a coalition to provide relief.

Foreign governments have pledged more than $220m in aid - $35m of which is promised by the US.

City of corpses

Health ministry officials in Indonesia put the new death toll at 79,940.

They explained that the figure had jumped by more than 20,000 after large numbers of bodies were found on Sumatra's remote north-west coast, the area of land closest to the epicentre of the earthquake that triggered the waves.

Government institutions in the region have collapsed and fuel supplies have almost run out, officials said.

The BBC's Andrew Harding in Banda Aceh says relief supplies are barely trickling into the city where drinking water is also scarce and corpses clog the streets.

A logistical nightmare awaits the massive aid operation, he says.

There are reports of fighting among survivors over food in the city.

"There is no food here whatsoever. We need rice. We need medicine. I haven't eaten in two days," a local woman told Reuters news agency.

A lone airport serves the entire region and road links to many remote areas have been washed away by sea waters.

On Thursday, aftershocks off Indonesia triggered fresh panic among survivors in Aceh.

Frustration

Rumours of impending waves quickly spread to the two other countries which bore the brunt of Sunday's tsunamis - India and Sri Lanka.

Indian officials issued a warning, prompting many people to flee coastal areas both in southern India and Sri Lanka.

The UN's relief co-ordinator, Jan Egeland, has said it will take another "two or three days" for the relief effort to get into full swing - by which time it may be too late for tens of thousands of people.

"We are doing very little at the moment," he said.

"I believe the frustration will be growing in the days and weeks ahead."

There are fears that epidemics will erupt because water supplies have been contaminated.

The head of the World Health Organization's crisis team, David Nabarro, says as many as five million people cannot get water, food or adequate sanitation.

Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

The whole thing is just unreal and unbelievable... :?

We may be facing the worst loss of human lives since World War 2 here in Scandinavia now..

21 Norwegians and 44 Swedes have been confirmed killed so far, but the actual number may be far far greater...

430 Norwegians are officially missing, and 830 more could have been in the disaster areas (and have still not been contacted)..
The numbers for Sweden may be even bigger, and the Prime Minister are talking about several hundreds to Thousand killed...

Everyone who have something to spare should donate to one of the organizations who helps out down there!
But please do only donate to well known organizations, there have already been rumors about fake websites/charities!!

I will start a new thread in the general chit chat forum with links to thrusted organizations, that are working in the disaster areas now!

Edit: Here it is:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7881

Hi,

The Stone age, Jarawa tribals in the midst of tropical forests............. about 50 km. from Port Blair.............the capital of Andaman and Nicobar islands.

Little is known About them ...............When a group of newsmen Chennai visited their habitat.......... they learned that they were an innocent, healthy people, who go around naked .

The main reason for them staying healthy was that they hunt and eat fresh when they are really hungry.............. Of late, exposure to people from the civilised world, have resulted in the tribals contracting skin diseases, influenza, etc.

The Jarawas, who are a pure Negrito tribe,...................nobody knows how they managed to come form Africa to here which is more that 50,000 miles away some say they made wodden rafts and somehow managed to sail this far .......They came here Thousands of years Ago .........amasing .

So the Government banned Visitors form Outside ...........they have lived in islolation form Thousands of years .................they are the only Paleolithic people found in the world..............some say Around 300 of them Still Roam the Nicobar Forests.........They are perhaps the world's only Palaeolithic (Stone Age) people surviving today.

This Place is the Closest to the Epi-center of the EarthQuake and fears were that they would have been completely wiped out................But officials say the Tribes are safe. :) thank God at last a Good news Amist all this bad news

One IAF helocopter Described Seeing them Laying the beach ...........

"Our helicopter pilot who flew over the island told me that he has seen several groups of Sentinelese on the beach and that when he dropped food packets they threw stones at the helicopter."

Maybe they Don't Understand whats Happning ............they Still Hunt with Bows and arrows and Stone Spears .

India's tribal people safe after tsunami - official

By Suresh Seshadri

PORT BLAIR, India (Reuters) - India's dwindling aboriginal population in the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands is safe as most lived in jungles, far away from the coast hit by a devastating tsunami, a coast guard official said on Thursday.

Experts had feared that some Stone Age tribal people, who have been living on the far-flung archipelago for thousands of years, could be on the verge of extinction after the killer waves that have killed more than 120,000 people across Asia.

"There have been several media reports talking about a threat to the aborigines, indigenous people and tribals of the islands," Vice Admiral Arun Kumar Singh, director-general of the Coast Guard, which is involved in rescue operations, told reporters.

"I have personally verified the extent of this claim and let me tell you that it is absolutely rubbish."

The Andaman and Nicobar group is a cluster of more than 550 islands, of which only about three dozen are inhabited.

The island chain is home to about six tribes of Mongoloid and Negrito origin. Many of the indigenous people are semi-nomadic and subsist on hunting with spears, bows and arrows as well as fishing and gathering fruit and roots. They still cover themselves with tree bark or leaves.

Singh said the Nicobarese, the largest tribal group that lives on Car Nicobar and adjoining islands, bore the brunt of the waves, but the exact death toll was not known.

Coast Guard surveys showed the rest of the tribes such as the Shompen, the Jarawa and the Sentinelese had escaped either because they lived in the jungles far from the coast or because their islands were barely touched by the waves.

"In the Middle Andaman the Jarawa tribes are there and there has not been a single report of casualty. The Sentinelese of North Sentinel Island, which some reports say have been completely wiped out, are all very much there," Singh said.

More than 13,000 people are dead or are feared to have died in India from the tsunami, but rescuers are still struggling to assess the toll in the Andaman and Nicobar islands.

Officials said more than 6,000 people were feared dead in the island chain alone, which is closer to Myanmar and Indonesia than the Indian mainland and is home to more than 350,000 people.

Around 30,000 of the islands' total population is tribal, the majority Nicobarese.

The rest are smaller groups. Some like the Great Andamanese are already down to 30 people while others like the Shompen number between 200-250.

The number of the Onge, one of the most primitive tribes, has fallen in past decades to about 100. There are about 200 Sentinelese, probably one of the world's only surviving palaeolithic people, who are generally hostile to outsiders.

"Our helicopter pilot who flew over the island told me that he has seen several groups of Sentinelese on the beach and that when he dropped food packets they threw stones at the helicopter."

Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Finally some good news... :)

Great one.. :lol:

Re: tsunamis Kills More than 5,000 in South-East Asia

Finnish tourists:

Officially confirmed deaths 14

Missing about 250

Tourists around the devastation area about 2500+

Evacuation has worked quite fast and efficiently. From monday to beginning of wednesday 1400 finnish tourists were evacuated back home. The most of finns survived. Worst place has been Khao Lakh, where have most of the missing people dissappeared.

Luckily the possible next finnish president Sauli Niinistö who is the president of european bank of investment survived in Khao Lakh with his two sons by first taking cover behind a building against the first wave and then rushed and climbed to telephone wire pole nearby. He is my favor in next elections.

The numbers of missing Norwegians have increased... :?

Still 21 officialy dead, about 460 officially missing, but around 960 more may have been in the area...
Sweden may have as many as 3000 missing in the disaster areas.

Please donate whatever you can spare (money, cloethes etc..), there are over 5,000,000 who have lost everything in the disaster areas now..

Here's a thread with some info on how you can help, please add your national aid organizations to the list as well:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7881

Re: tsunamis Kills More than 5,000 in South-East Asia

1.1.05 16.00 still 193 missing and over 2000 have been evacuated and the last planned evacuation flight is on the way. The most of still missing are propably dead.

Hi,

Redleg said:
Finally some good news... :)

Great one.. :lol:

They are Stone Age People what do you expect :p ............it might be a wy to say thank you :)

A few years back Government tried Experimenting to get them people wear Pyjamas ..............so a Box Full of Pyjamas was left on the beach and everybody watched form a distance ................they Came they Took and they wore it .................Yup they actually wore it .

And from that day onwards we had a Bunch of Nekked stone Age People with Pyjamas tied on their heads :lol:

At least the experiment was good for some laught :roll:

Hundreds of Foreigners Killed
Fri Dec 31, 5:52 PM ET
By The Associated Press

The tally of foreigners confirmed dead from the quake and tsunamis throughout southern Asia, according to their countries' foreign ministries. Authorities said thousands were still missing, many of them feared dead. Thai authorities said more than 2,230 foreigners from 36 nations were confirmed dead from Thailand's southern resorts alone.

_ Sweden: 59

_ Britain: 34

_ Germany: 34

_ France: 22

_ Norway: 21

_ Japan: 17

_ United States: 15

_ Italy: 14

_ Switzerland: 13

_ Australia: 10

_ Denmark: 7

_ Singapore: 7

_ Belgium: 6

_ Austria: 5

_ Canada: 5

_ Netherlands: 5

_ Finland: 4

_ South Africa: 4

_ South Korea (news - web sites): 4

_ Philippines: 3

_ Brazil: 2

_ Taiwan: 2

_ Colombia: 1

_ Czech Republic: 1

_ Mexico: 1

_ New Zealand: 1

_ Poland: 1

_ Russia: 1

_ Turkey: 1

Source

Breakdown of Tsunami Death Toll by Nation

Sat Jan 1, 8:29 AM ET

Add to My Yahoo! World - AP Asia

By The Associated Press

At least 123,171 people were killed in 11 countries in southern Asia and East Africa from the massive earthquake and tsunamis on Dec. 26, according to official figures. A breakdown of the toll so far:

Indonesia: At least 80,246 people were killed on Sumatra island, the government said. The health minister said Friday the country's toll could rise to 100,000.

_ Sri Lanka: Some 28,729 killed. About 1 million people were displaced.

_ India: The government said 8,942 deaths have been confirmed but nearly 4,000 more were missing in India's remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands, just north of Sumatra.

_ Thailand: The government said 4,812 people died, including 2,230 foreigners.

_ Somalia: At least 200 killed, said Somali presidential spokesman Yusuf Mohamed Ismail.

_ Myanmar: About 90 people were killed, according to reports compiled by international aid agencies.

_ Maldives: At least 73 people confirmed dead.

_ Malaysia: At least 66 people, including an unknown number of foreign tourists, were dead, according to official reports.

_ Tanzania: At least 10 people killed, said Alfred Tibaigana, police commander in Dar es Salaam.

_ Bangladesh: Two killed.

_ Kenya: One killed.

Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

No more of the 1400+ missing Norwegians have been found the last couple of days, so it's feared that most of them may have been killed....

No official lists over missing/dead Norwegians have been released yet, so I have no idea if there's anyone I know amongst them.... :?

Sweden are still missing around 3000+, so it's looks like this could be the biggest disaster in peace time ever for Scandinavia....

Hi,

" Three brothers ages 3 to 7 each dropped off sandwich bags containing a few dollars at the Mile High chapter of the Red Cross in Denver, according to spokesman Robert Thompson. The same chapter also accepted a $50,000 donation from a man who requested anonymity."

awwwwwww.............Public Compassion has never been more :)

America Finds Creative Ways to Aid Victims

14 minutes ago

By JAY LINDSAY, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - A Kentucky widow, moved by the cries of grief she heard in reports about the tsunami disaster in south Asia, invited her entire town to a New Year's Eve bash to raise money for the victims. In California, a college offered free basketball tickets, with a gift for relief efforts the only price of admission.

A group of children in a Seattle suburb stood out in the rain offering "Hot Chocolate for Tidal Wave Relief!" and raised $255.

In ways large and small, people around the country have found ways to help victims of one of history's worst natural disasters.

"I can say the outpouring has been amazing," said Coco McCabe, a spokeswoman for the Oxfam International relief agency. "Even though it's happening on the other side of the world, it feels so close."

Oxfam said Friday it had received almost $6 million in unsolicited donations since the disaster on Dec. 26. The American Red Cross (news - web sites) reported almost $44 million in donations from Americans by Thursday evening.

Three brothers ages 3 to 7 each dropped off sandwich bags containing a few dollars at the Mile High chapter of the Red Cross in Denver, according to spokesman Robert Thompson. The same chapter also accepted a $50,000 donation from a man who requested anonymity.

A group of children in Sammamish, Wash., a suburb of Seattle, stood in steady rain Wednesday selling hot chocolate to fight the chill. Eleven-year-old Thomas Wilson said he couldn't get the rising death toll of his mind

"It's so horrid, so terrible — such a huge loss of family. And I couldn't do anything about it," he said. "Then I did this hot chocolate stand and it made me feel better."

Kids elsewhere around the country were similarly moved.

In New York City, six children ages 12 to 18 worked late Thursday and early Friday to make dozens of cookies, brownies and cupcakes for a door-to-door bake sale organized by Do Something, a youth service group.

Jeffrey Arias, a Boy Scout from Newbury, Mass., attends Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, N.H., with several students from areas hit hard by the giant waves. He and 15 friends stood outside banks and convenience stores Thursday and Friday with donation cans for the American Red Cross

"There's quite a big chance that friends of mine were hit," Arias said. "I can't just stand around and watch the news."

After hearing the victims' cries on news reports, Claire Neal, decided to throw a New Year's Eve fund-raiser at her house in Owensboro, Ky., a city of 54,000 on the Ohio River. A local business donated gourmet candy for the $50-per-ticket event.

"When I woke up, I thought 'I can do this, and I can do it right now,'" said Neal, 75, a widow who has hosted several community fund-raisers. She said people donated more than $7,000 Friday night and she expects to get more in the mail.

The University of California at Santa Barbara athletic department offered free admission to the Gauchos' basketball game Thursday to anyone who brought a donation of canned food, bottled water or a piece of clothing.

"You look at the number of children and the amount of damage and the shape the world is in over there compared to the lives we get to live here," head coach Bob Williams said. "It's a chance to do a small, minute thing."

For the next month, Philadelphia's Reading Terminal Market will collect donations in a 4-foot bronze pig that stands in the center of the farmers' market. In Elizabeth City, N.C., Jacklyn Phillips, plans to collect 1,000 used bicycles and, with the help of local prison inmates, refurbish them and ship them to Indonesia so people can get around on damaged roads.

Sri Lankan native Preethi Burkholder is charging $15 for a benefit slide show of her homeland Monday in Aspen, Colo. In Hawaii, North Shore Catamaran Charters plans to donate all proceeds from a special sunset whale watch cruise on Jan. 14 to tsunami victims.

New Delhi native Naveen Sachar hopes to net $10,000 from a Jan. 7 fund-raiser he arranged at a Chicago bar. His relatives in central India were unhurt, but he said he mourns for victims and survivors who've lost everything.

"We were opening Christmas gifts that morning and people there were trying to recover bodies," said Sachar, a 36-year-old business consultant. "The least we can do is raise some money to help."

Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Hi,

Hopes fade for missing Europeans :( :?

EUROPEANS DEAD OR MISSING
  • Sweden: 59 dead, about 3,500 missing
  • Germany: 34 dead, over 1,000 missing
  • Britain: 34 dead, unconfirmed number missing
  • France: 22 dead, 96 missing
  • Norway: 21 dead, 430 missing
  • Italy: 14 dead, 700 missing
  • Finland: 14 dead, 263 missing
  • Switzerland: 12 dead, 850 missing
  • Denmark: 7 dead, 419 missing
  • Austria: 5 dead, up to 100 missing
  • Russia: 1 dead, 80 missing

At least 6,000 Europeans are still missing - most of them presumed dead - after the Indian Ocean disaster wrecked beach resorts in south-west Thailand.

Sweden estimated 3,500 of its people were missing and said the national death toll could top 1,000.

Germany has more than 1,000 missing, and hundreds of tourists from Italy, Norway, Denmark, Finland and the Netherlands are also unaccounted for.

The Thai resorts of Khao Lak and Phuket were hardest hit by the giant waves.

Nearly 2,000 foreign tourists died in Khao Lak alone, when luxury hotels full for the Christmas holidays were swamped.

Bodies arriving in temporary mortuaries are often unrecognisable after days lying in the tropical heat.

More than 4,500 bodies have now been recovered in Thailand, almost half of them foreigners.

Where possible, the bodies of foreign tourists are being stored in refrigerated container lorries, but more temporary mortuaries are needed to house corpses.

Forensic experts will try to identify victims using DNA samples and dental records provided by relatives.

The highest death tolls confirmed by European nations so far are: Sweden (59), Britain (34), Germany (34), France (22) and Norway (21).

The actual death tolls are expected to be much higher.

Sad New Year

New Year's Day will be an official day of mourning in Sweden, Finland and Norway.

Many local authorities throughout the Nordic countries have cancelled New Year celebrations.

European countries have pledged millions of dollars in aid and planes carrying experts and supplies have been flown to the region.

The EU's humanitarian affairs commissioner, Louis Michel, said the EU had reserve funds to help the stricken countries if the 33m euros ($45m) already pledged proved insufficient. He said the EU had an extra 300m euros available in separate emergency funds.

But he stressed that funds would be needed for reconstruction, beyond the current emergency.

Anxious search

On the ground in the disaster zone, many Europeans are still waiting for news of friends and relatives missing since Sunday's waves.

Locals and tourists are looking at the dead to see if their loved ones are there, or examining message boards posted with photos of the dead.

One of the coordinators of the forensic teams in Thailand, policeman Carl Kent from Australia, urged relatives to refrain from visiting the mortuaries, which were in "difficult environments".

"Family members must steel themselves to the fact that this process will take a considerable period of time to resolve," he said.

The BBC's Chris Hogg in Phuket says that after the Bali bombing it took five months to identify about 200 victims.

The Danish, Swedish and Norwegian foreign ministries have been sharply criticised by some of their nationals in Thailand, who accuse them of reacting too slowly to the disaster.

The European Union is planning a special meeting of EU aid ministers early next month to co-ordinate relief efforts.

Mr Michel said he would attend a conference of the Association of South-East Asian Nations (Asean) in Jakarta next week to gauge the immediate needs.
Source

Peace
-=SF_13=-

SwordFish_13 said:
Hi,

Hopes fade for missing Europeans :( :?

EUROPEANS DEAD OR MISSING
  • Sweden: 59 dead, about 3,500 missing
  • Germany: 34 dead, over 1,000 missing
  • Britain: 34 dead, unconfirmed number missing
  • France: 22 dead, 96 missing
  • Norway: 21 dead, 430 missing
  • Italy: 14 dead, 700 missing
  • Finland: 14 dead, 263 missing
  • Switzerland: 12 dead, 850 missing
  • Denmark: 7 dead, 419 missing
  • Austria: 5 dead, up to 100 missing
  • Russia: 1 dead, 80 missing

You can (unfortunately) add a few more to the number of missing Norwegians... :?

462 are officially missing, but around 950 more could have been in the disaster areas.
So a total of 1442 Norwegians are still missing...

Here's a few videoclips from the disaster:
http://www.vg.no/video/

It's in Norwegian, but you should be able to figure out how to view them..

Back