Ebola Scare

Remington 1858

It appears that there is a growing worry by many Americans about an Ebola epidemic. Whether this concern is justified or not, I'm not qualified to say. I am personally not worried about it, but even here in the small city where I live, we had an Ebola alert. A local woman who had travelled to Africa went to the local hospital in a panic with some flu-like symptoms and said the E-word to the emergency department personnel who went into full Ebola response. Fortunately this small local hospital is one of the best in the state and had response procedures in place. It turned out to be a false alarm, but it shows how the news media has amped up the situation. There have even been hearings in Congress about the national response. This is, of course, politically inspired, but the members of Congress are pretty good at reading the mood of the public in an election year. People are scared and this will be reflected in the their political response. Is it the same in other countries?

The Danish health authorities are ready and Danish hospitals are equipped to isolate people if they suspected Ebola. We also have a European Agency for the monitoring of disease and receives regular risk assessments from other EU countries. But it's not something that worries Danes at present.

Back