East Timor at it again!

Peacekeeping and they're up against protestors and also against agents trained by the Indonesians. It is a widely held belief that at least some of these rioting "Timorese" are Kopassus or Kopassus trained but they are there just to stir the pot and likely to slip into the shadows once things get too hairy they won't stick around if it turns into a stand-up fight. It would work against the Indo government to have their boys caught inside E Timor. Its a toilet and will be a dirty job.

Holy shit . You are a security nightmare. Think about what your going to write and maybe get hubby to check it. Knowing when Battalions are being called out and call out times doesn't need to be on the net.
You might learn this when you join.

Well you on the other hand have obviously not been listening to the news. I was informed today that we (spouses and family) are allowed now to discuss the situation as it has been announced on the news!

I read over very carefully what I wrote before I posted it and nothing I had to say is anything other than what has already been reported in the media.

And as for call out times and battalions - check that too.....it was already discussed on both channel 7 and 9! wtih pictures of both battalions getting off the planes in Townsville as well as the Hmas ships packing for the trip

But seeing as you so rudley pointed out your distain for my post I have deleted it. And will no longer post on this site.

Last edited:
AAW, I hope you'll not go off. AJ might not be as congenial as some of us (yes I actually said that) but I understand his concern. If he wasn't aware of what has been already put out on the media then his concerns about OPSEC are very justified. People can lose their lives when information like this is bandied about when it shouldn't be. I think a couple links showing where its already been distributed via the Aussie media would suffice. This site is kinda top heavy with Americans and men so we could use some more of the diversity your presence entails.

Please reconsider.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/JAK148456.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1645906.htm

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Australians-warned-to-leave-East-Timor/2006/05/23/1148150241149.html

Here are some open source news links about the situation.

AussieWife, AJ was just letting you know about posting deployment schedules/rotations/units, etc. The media releases a lot of information it shouldn't, so the less attention it gets on sites like these, the better. Believe it or not, the bad guys clean discussion boards like these for information and look to see what type of person is providing it. They don't always believe the news, but they might believe a service member or their family simply because of who they are.

You have to understand that us military types are usually pretty blunt and to the point. I don't think AJ meant to be rude, just corrective.

I hope you'll continue to post on the site and let this roll off.

That kind of information was being made available as soon as it had been mentioned by Downer on the 7:30 report last night.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh but I didn't hear battalion names given. To some it may seem trivial but for family members to be discussing form up locations for troops is not right. These sought of things should be covered at the start of the year during int briefings. I thought you would have covered this at RMC Nick, the government can let family's talk all they want, but when it comes down to it the less said during these early stages the better. Sorry if I offended.

These sought of things should be covered at the start of the year during int briefings. I thought you would have covered this at RMC Nick, the government can let family's talk all they want, but when it comes down to it the less said during these early stages the better. Sorry if I offended.

Believe me opsec is drilled into you. I know all about it, I just thought it was an over reaction due to the fact it'd already been in the news.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060526/23/z4fu.html

I dont know whether or not this link will work as ive never posted a link before so i have copied and pasted an article that is currently posted on Yahoo7 news. You can visit www.yahoo7.com.au and go to the news section, this article is listed under top 5 most viewed stories. I havent been able to find any earlier reports on the web that I can link too, but for myself and the families back here who watched the news reports on tv can assure you it was reported before our guys ever landed in Timor.

And finaly all I have to say to ajpigger is that you should be very careful yourself before insulting others until you find out the truth first. Your no different from dozens of other aussie soldiers who thinks that chicks dont know what they are talking about or we are just dumb wives who cause trouble. Im not stupid, I may not be in the army yet, but I do know about the security issues. 90% of the time the leaks to the media come from the soldiers themselves as the guys in Townsville have seen this week. It may have been a mistake to talk about this situation on this site, (which will now never happen again) but mind you I was very careful not to say anything that hasnt already been reported.

ADF commits 1800 to East Timor effort

By Simon Vandore Almost 1800 Australian Defence Force personnel are now involved in Operation Astute, aimed at restoring peace in East Timor, the defence department has announced.

Brigadier Michael Slater, the commander of the Army's Third Brigade based in Townsville, has been placed in command and arrived in Dili this morning.
About 450 troops were already on the ground. ADVERTISEMENT
var fd_imp = 'http://adsfac.net/ag.asp?cc=BYR005.24570.0&ord=1148679438479425';var fd_clk = 'http://au.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hjho03v/M=490505.8512443.9440630.2996254/D=au_news/S=97488202:LREC/Y=AUNZ/EXP=1148765838/A=3697712/R=0/*http://adsfac.net/link.asp?cc=BYR005.24570.0';var fd_wdt = 300;var fd_hgt = 250;On Error Resume NextShockMode = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))if ( ShockMode

AussieArmyWife, dont worry you havent done anything wrong. If a foreign/domestic threat even needed this information they would have found it out before most Soldiers anyway.

Loose blogs may blow up BCTs
Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker tells troops to use the Internet responsibly in a videotaped message on Operations Security.

Posted Thursday, November 10, 2005

By Gary Sheftick

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, Nov. 10, 2005) – This is not your father’s war, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker tells troops in a videotaped message emphasizing proper Operations Security procedures and responsible use of the Internet.

The video is part of the Army’s comprehensive OPSEC Action Plan that has Mobile Training Teams visiting deploying units to teach how improper information and photographs posted on the Worldwide Web could endanger lives.

For instance, photos of combat operations and destroyed military equipment could provide the enemy with clues about U.S. vulnerabilities, said Maj. Michael Pate, the Army’s OPSEC officer at the Pentagon.

`OPSEC is not censorship'

“This isn’t censorship,” Pate said about the OPSEC plan he had a key role in devising. “It’s about striking a balance between freedom of expression and protecting sensitive military information.”

In World War II and Korea, it took a long time for information to move from the battlefield to the public, Schoomaker says at the beginning of his video. Today with the Worldwide Web, it’s immediate with the push of a button.

CSA: Info-tech explosion global

“We have an information-technology explosion that is global,” Schoomaker said. “Our adversaries have the ability to take our utterances, our writings and our pictures and do all kinds of things to harm us.”

Web logs, or blogs, are a venue where instances of unauthorized photos and some sensitive information have been inadvertently disseminated, Pate said.

MNC-I first with blog policy

So the Multi-National Corps-Iraq headquarters came up with a policy for the increasing number of Soldiers posting blogs in theater. Some of the Soldiers found that posting a periodic blog to the Web was easier than sending multiple e-mails to friends and family. Others have found a modicum of fame for their descriptive coverage of life in the combat zone.

The MNC-I policy requires Soldiers to register their blogs through their unit chain of command. A list of blogs is maintained at the division level, complete with Web addresses and points of contact.

The policy also identifies established elements such as Army Web Risk Assessment Cells and Information-Assurance teams that assess Web sites and monitor information for compliance with Army policy. Such information includes classified info, casualty information before next-of-kin notification, info prohibited by the Privacy Act and details of incidents under investigation.

Commanders are able to develop their own OPSEC policy addressing blogs, Pate said, under the umbrella of Army policy and guidance.

OPSEC plan comprehensive

The Army’s new OPSEC initiatives are comprehensive and range from individual to institutional training, Pate said.

The Mobile Training Teams provide unit-level training, Pate said, to priority-one units scheduled to deploy. The MTTs come from the Army OPSEC Support Element established earlier this year out of the 1st Information Operations Command (Land). located at Fort Belvoir, Va.

MTTs recently visited the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) to provide OPSEC instruction to one of its brigade combat teams at Fort Campbell, Ky.

Smaller units can access OPSEC training modules through Army Knowledge Online, Pate said. He said users can click on center right of the AKO front page on “Army OPSEC News,” sign in again using their AKO password and enter the OPSEC Portal.

The OPSEC Portal includes a number of Power-Point briefings that Pate said assist in satisfying OPSEC training requirements.
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/news/Top_Military_News/loose-blogs-may-blow-up-b.shtml

A related link to the topic of OPSEC.

Back