East and Southeast Asia -- Everybody Takes Sides - Page 3

--
Boots

November 28th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Excuses excuses...
"Teaching a lesson" a legitimate reason for war in China? I said it before and I'll say it again, this is why your neighbors hate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC88mm
one note: try fighting in the hilmlayays, which is the only way from china to india through land if india does not invade indochina

and china did not get its ass kicked in 1979, the chinese made a planned retreat as to teach the viets a lesson, most ignorants took it as a military defeat
November 28th, 2004  
Xion

Considering this as a totally imaginary scenario -

1.Russia wouldn't side with India, I think china is more closer to them as a friend than India.I'm saying this from the fact that in 1962 war Russia said "If India is our friend, China is our brother".The global scenario has changed considerably since then, so I can't really predict anything about Russia.

2.Pakistan, BANGLADESH, Myanmar will definitely support China.

3.All other nations will be neutral.

I don't think India has good any good friends in that region...except Israel,Russia,Kazakhstan,Uzbekistan

But as godofthunder9010 said any other nations except say Japan or Russia supporting either one of them makes no significant change in anyones strength.

There would be no winners, both will lose, both countries have those good old nukes.But you said no one uses nukes, difficult to predict who would win in that case, remember its not 1962.But China has the advantage for the fact that it has a bigger army,navy and Air Force than India.

U.S.A. would support India as a counterbalance against rising China, as I think USA would feel that if China overpowers India there would be no other nation in Asia to challenge Chinas supremacy.
November 28th, 2004  
Snauhi

Russian would wait untill India and China are fighting a full scale war and then attack China in the back.
--
Boots
November 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

I was under the impression that Japan and Russia were strenghthening their relations. There's the dispute over certain islands, but considering that we'd have to convincingly prove that Japan as being EXTREMELY neutral, I doubt that they'd fail to take sides. Both Japan and the Phillipines have more to fear from a victorious China than from India or Russia. Their strongest compelling reasons for those two nations are fear of China becoming stronger, not any particular love for India. The same would be the case with Russia -- its not the 1960's and we don't have the concept of a global Communist brotherhood factoring into things. We do have the very strong levels of Russian mistrust of China.

Without Russia, India would be in trouble. I think Russia would side with India for the sake of balancing the equation, since Pakistan is pretty well guaranteed to side with China.

Bangladesh is actually a tough call because the moment they take Pakistan's side, they're wide open to India invading them and to my understanding, they don't have that strong of a military with which to defend themselves -- so it wouldn't take much military diverted away from fighting China to beat the crap out of Bangladesh. They'd probably do it anyway though. Muslim pride or whatnot.

I'm very curious if anyone can figure who Thailand and Myanmar would side with? Also, compelling reasons for Indonesia and Malasya to side with anyone?

The interesting thing about this scenario is not because the scenario is likely. War between India and China ISN'T very likely to happen. It's interesting because it provides an opportunity to discuss the political climate in East Asia. Its the only scenario that allows us to see how things play out without having to consider the indimidation factor of the populations of either China or India. Both sides have one 1 billion+ nation on their side so neither side can say "We overwhelm them with numbers." Obviously, China has the stronger standing army, but both can draft enormous armies into existence. I'm saying that, for reasons unknown, Europe and the USA are staying out if it simply because they are too great of a tiebreaker. Europe and the USA would probably go united to one side or the other, and whoever they pick wins ... so we're leaving them out of it.
November 28th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

What Xion said is completely true. Mate I like your posts, since your posts make sense and are objective.
November 28th, 2004  
Darcia

Nepal would also be another important place, it could be an attacking place for either India to get into China or China to get into India, so it would most likly be a place each try to get before the other and it may swich hands a few times.
November 28th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Bhutan and Nepal are the Belgium and Netherlands of the scenario -- they get run over in the process of desperately trying to stay the hell out of it. Neither nation possesses sufficient military strength to make a difference one way or the other. Messy region to have a major frontline -- the Himalayas. Actually, for that very reason, it becomes very interesting. It neutralizes many of the technological factors and adds numerous unpredictable factors into things.
November 29th, 2004  
Darcia

Thats true, they can't stay Nuetral and thier is no way they could pick sides. However if someone was to take Bangledash and use it as a transport and dock then it would give one side an advantage.
November 29th, 2004  
Xion

Thanks FlyingFrog,

Nepal and Bhutan are definitely in India's camp.Doesn't make any difference though.

I wonder if Israel would get involved if Pakistan launches a simultaneous attack with China.Or would it only get involved if USA does help India ?
November 29th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Israel will have nothing to do with it. What Israel wants is just to keep that small piece of Holly Land safe from being taken by Arabs, they don't have any other ambitions (except controling finance).

Just ask SHERMAN