Earthquake and Tsunami hits Japan, hundreds confirmed killed!

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
(CNN) -- Within an hour after a major earthquake rattled Japan, the nation and the world watched a surreal and unprecedented scene from a helicopter hovering above the coastal area of Miyagi prefecture:
Neat rows of tilled farmland being cleaved by a wall of water, with a white ship sweeping across the soil . Behind it, a massive wave of mud, debris and burning buildings atop the rushing water.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.tsunami.damage/index.html?hpt=C1

the video here is just insane, and it's just terrible to see the vehicles trying to escape the water.....

http://www.vgtv.no/#id=38263

This is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts goes to everyone who is affected by this!

Hundreds are already confirmed killed but they fear that the number may be several thousands!

:(

That video was incredible. really puts in it in a different light when you see the aftermath.

Yes, it's truly terrible to see the vehicles caught by the tsunami.
I can't imagine the horror they must have felt when they realised that they where trapped by the water.. :?

Please keep all of Japan in your prayers :(...Just got news that my auntie Oyuki is missing...so many children...its horrible...cant eat...cant sleep...

Last edited:
I'm really really sorry to hear that Sky! :(
I truly hope that she's just out of reach and that someone will get contact with her soon!

It is possibly the worst thing I've seen... ever.
I think currently the figures are that about 80,000 people are missing or unaccounted for.
Hope all is fine Sky...

Very frightening. I have friends stationed at Okinawa, Guam, and Hawai'i. It was a loooooooooong night for me until I knew they all came through the tsunami okay. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this tragedy. :(

Time to buy car producer shares (seems even in the worst circumstances some never lose) and get rid of your assurance ones.

Rattler

Redleg, I just saw on one of the news channels that Japan's mainland is 8 feet closer to the West Coast of the US than it was and the Earth's axis got moved by 4 inches.

Thnk you so much for all your prayers...still no word..there's absolutely nothing we can do,....just pray and keep moving on...

Dont know it you all heard already but a reactor blew...hope they can shut those others off and prevent more from exploding...Nobody wants another Chernobyl happening

Sorry to disappoint you:

If you read between the lines, they are practically admitting that the chernobyl case already has happened. I am currently listening to the latest press conference of the government spokesman, and he reports (more or less):

1. Fire in reactor #4
2. Reactor #2 blew up
3. Reactors #1 and #3 are being moderately cooled by sea water injection up

For me the fire in #4 is the worst news, because this reactor ws not working at the time of the earthquake and has no combustion rods deployed, those are stored in a pool outside the containment vessel. A fire there means that probably the inactive rods circonium coating reacted with oxygen and so producied the fire. As the inactive rods are not within the containment vessel and normally completely covered with water in the pool we can speculate that this pools water level sank (evaporation) and now with the fire massive quantities of radioactive material are set free.

Radiation level around the plant has risen to the milisievert range (which is 1000x the level of the microsievert range that we were listening about yesterday), and this is a serious indicator of radioactive combustible being exposed to the outside. As far as I understand there is a high probability that the #2 containment vessel has been damaged in the explosion, which is the 2nd really bad news and qualifies for the Chernobil scenario just by itself.

Dont expect this to become better, once this stage is reached even working on the reactors 1-3 or fighting the fire in #4 becomes a very challenging task, humans may only be exposed for very short times to those radiation levels: The radiation dose limit of a nuclear energy worker is 20 miliSieverts per year, the reported level now is 400 miliSieverts per hour. Make you calculation: Legally you may work there for 3 minutes before passing the allowed radiation exposure.

So, from my POV we have now reached or even passed the Chernobyl scenario, even if a core meltdown has not happened (yet) and definitely wont happen in #4 (as it was inoperative).

Another problem is the combustible used: I have heard (dont recall where, so no source) that the combustible in those reactors is of an experimental nature, a mix of uranium AND plutonium (versus the normal straight uranium filling), and - contrary to uranium - plutonium apart from being radioative is also highly poisenous, really bad thing if set free.

20 km around the plant now have been evacuated, people living in a radius of 30 km of the plant are urged to decon and not leave their houses anymore. Tokyo is 12 hours windwards of the plant, a logistic nightmare if the worst should happen (meldown of one or more cores and damage to the stainless steel containment vessels). I dont even want to imagine the scenario where Tokyo cannot be lived in for the next 20.000 years or so, that would be the end of Japan and probably the death blow to oour economy in general.

Live News feed in English: http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

Rattler

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint you:

If you read between the lines, they are practically admitting that the chernobyl case already has happened. I am currently listening to the latest press conference of the government spokesman, and he reports (more or less):

1. Fire in reactor #4
2. Reactor #2 blew up
3. Reactors #1 and #3 are being moderately cooled by sea water injection up

For me the fire in #4 is the worst news, because this reactor ws not working at the time of the earthquake and has no combustion rods deployed, those are stored in a pool outside the containment vessel. A fire there means that probably the inactive rods circonium coating reacted with oxygen and so producied the fire. As the inactive rods are not within the containment vessel and normally completely covered with water in the pool we can speculate that this pools water level sank (evaporation) and now with the fire massive quantities of radioactive material are set free.

Radiation level around the plant has risen to the milisievert range (which is 1000x the level of the microsievert range that we were listening about yesterday), and this is a serious indicator of radioactive combustible being exposed to the outside. As far as I understand there is a high probability that the #2 containment vessel has been damaged in the explosion, which is the 2nd really bad news and qualifies for the Chernobil scenario just by itself.

Dont expect this to become better, once this stage is reached even working on the reactors 1-3 or fighting the fire in #4 becomes a very challenging task, humans may only be exposed for very short times to those radiation levels: The radiation dose limit of a nuclear energy worker is 20 miliSieverts per year, the reported level now is 400 miliSieverts per hour. Make you calculation: Legally you may work there for 3 minutes before passing the allowed radiation exposure.

So, from my POV we have now reached or even passed the Chernobyl scenario, even if a core meltdown has not happened (yet) and definitely wont happen in #4 (as it was inoperative).

Another problem is the combustible used: I have heard (dont recall where, so no source) that the combustible in those reactors is of an experimental nature, a mix of uranium AND plutonium (versus the normal straight uranium filling), and - contrary to uranium - plutonium apart from being radioative is also highly poisenous, really bad thing if set free.

20 km around the plant now have been evacuated, people living in a radius of 30 km of the plant are urged to decon and not leave their houses anymore. Tokyo is 12 hours windwards of the plant, a logistic nightmare if the worst should happen (meldown of one or more cores and damage to the stainless steel containment vessels). I dont even want to imagine the scenario where Tokyo cannot be lived in for the next 20.000 years or so, that would be the end of Japan and probably the death blow to oour economy in general.

Live News feed in English: http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

Rattler

Jesus....:shock:

Latest news:

First the bad stuff:

- Reactor #2 containment vessel breach is confirmed

- Reactors #5 and #6 have also developed problems to maintain core cooling as water levels drop and all workers got evaced except 50 "heroes" that remain at the plant to do the seawater incjections and probably spend their lives doing so.

- Reactors #4, where the rods have been confirmed to have been in the cooling pool and the water gone there, can now only be cooled by helicopters dropping water in through a hole in the roof as the radiation level is too high for anybody working there

The good news:

- The wind has turned and is blowing the stuff out to sea and not in direction Tokyo anymore, so the logistical nightmare of thinking on how to and where to evacuate its 35 Million of inhabitants (!) currently is postponed.

- The reactors, other than Chernobyl, were designed to pull the rods from the core at the event of an earthquake (automatic shutdown), this has most probably worked (but cannot be confirmed as nobody could look inside the containment vessel). This in turn would mean that the reaction will probably (and luckily if so) not increase (like in Chernobyl) but decrease over time, and its a relatively short time period we are talking about, days or weeks.

- Reactors #1 and #3 are fairly stable at low cooling water levels

Source: Same feed as mentioned before: http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/6810.htm

Rattler

Last edited:
16,000 confirmed killed or missing now... :(

The Reactor workers keeps fighting to get control over the power plant, and they refuse to leave even if they know that this probably is a death sentence to them all!
A big :salute2: to all of them, and I don't dare to think of the consequences if they should fail to get control there....

- Nuclear workers accept their fate 'like a death sentence'
- Fears for their health as one expert says it is 'perhaps a suicide mission'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-suicide-mission-battle-nuclear-meltdown.html

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Asia/Story/STIStory_646210.html

Back