The Eagerness of 2LT's

HokieMSG

I was a young E4 and we were laying out all of our equipment in the motorpool for a change of command inventory. A new PL had been assigned to my platoon and was getting in everyones way. A crusty E5 finally had had enough and asked the officer jokingly if he wanted to complete the armor inspection before the colonel arrived. Eager to help the LT agreed. The E5 handed the LT a piece of chalk and a hammer and told the LT to tap the side of the tank and when the sound changed he should circle the spot so that the mechanics could check it out. He then told the LT that all 14 tanks in our platoon had to be checked. The LT disappeared and was soon forgotten about.
The colonel arrived and spotted the LT working diligently. When the colonel asked the LT what he was doing the LT slauted smartly and told the colonel that he was performing the armor inspection. The colonel returned his salute and replied "Carry on then Lieutenant". We all got an earful from the 1SG later.

Davy Crockett

I was given a very young and inexperienced 2nd Lt to learn what is required regarding the running of a section as part of his training.

On arrival at our location the trucks were camouflaged and then the drivers were checking fuel, oil and water levels.

The 2nd Lt came up to me and asked, “Corporal, what do you think about setting snares so we can catch a few rabbits to eat?”

I was so taken aback I just looked at him, then finally replied, “With respect Sir, I'm here to teach you how to run a freaking section, not teach you how to be Davy Bloody Crockett.”

He gave me the blankest look I have ever seen in my life, then asked, “Who's Davy Crockett?”

LOL. Thats mean. Couldent happen here unless it was an extremely stupid Officer. They usually were tank commanders before becoming officers...

LOL@"Davy Bloody Crockett"

Back