Dunkirk

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
I watched the latest ""Dunkirk"" movie on TV. I was not impressed whatsoever, the town of Dunkirk looked like a normal seaside town in peace time, when in fact Dunkirk was nothing but rubble and smoke everywhere, British troops tin hats looked like they had just come out of the factory, the paint nice and pristine, very few vehicles were
on the beach, when in fact the beach was littered with abandoned trucks, cars, motorbike and Bofors along with thousands of discarded tin hats

My uncle Roy served with the Royal Horse Artillery, he was one of the last to get off the beaches by swimming for it. It affected him deeply, he ended up in a hospital in Dover. When my dad went to visit him, my dad walked past his bed, he didnt recognise his own brother. To my mind the film was an insult to the courage of the crews of the little ships, the Royal Navy, the RAF who did their best to keep enemy aircraft away from the beaches, and the men who stayed behind to ensure the evacuation of over 300,000 troops

During the filming of the film ""Battle of Britain"" with German aircraft once again over London, my uncle Roy was seriously affected, it brought all the horrors back again.

I watched the latest ""Dunkirk"" movie on TV. I was not impressed whatsoever, the town of Dunkirk looked like a normal seaside town in peace time, when in fact Dunkirk was nothing but rubble and smoke everywhere, British troops tin hats looked like they had just come out of the factory, the paint nice and pristine, very few vehicles were
on the beach, when in fact the beach was littered with abandoned trucks, cars, motorbike and Bofors along with thousands of discarded tin hats

My uncle Roy served with the Royal Horse Artillery, he was one of the last to get off the beaches by swimming for it. It affected him deeply, he ended up in a hospital in Dover. When my dad went to visit him, my dad walked past his bed, he didnt recognise his own brother. To my mind the film was an insult to the courage of the crews of the little ships, the Royal Navy, the RAF who did their best to keep enemy aircraft away from the beaches, and the men who stayed behind to ensure the evacuation of over 300,000 troops

During the filming of the film ""Battle of Britain"" with German aircraft once again over London, my uncle Roy was seriously affected, it brought all the horrors back again.

I agree with you. I watched it a few months ago and even if the actors did a really good job. I like actor who was the admiral, Kenneth Something. Anyway, those of us who have read and watched documentaries about Dunkirk miss the gravity of the evacuation. They tried to picture how the British urged everybody owning a boat to get to Dunkirk, but I think they failed to capture the urgency of doing so. That's why I prefer older war movies, even if they can be to "heroic" for my taste.

The movie about the Polish fighter pilots during the Battle of Britain is a much better movie than Dunkirk

It's like the R.N. ships had no AA capability. The out of gas Spitfire seemed to fly for hours. The passage of days seemed a bit jumbled.

It's like the R.N. ships had no AA capability. The out of gas Spitfire seemed to fly for hours. The passage of days seemed a bit jumbled.

Whomever wrote the screen play didnt have a clue as to the reality of Dunkirk. My uncle Roy never really got over the horrors of the constant air attacks, men killed, equipment sabotaged and burning. I cannot even imagine what he went through, neither could the screen play writer(s).

Back