Duke Lacrosse rape case; a failure of the justice system?

Is the Duke Rape case a failure of the justice system

• yes, the case was FUBAR from the get go

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No, but there are some clear problems

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No, everything is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

As of a few hours ago, a second round of DNA testing has proven that no Duke Lacrosse players have any connection with the rape alogations. To me, it seems that the prosecution has a very weak case.

This whole fiasco is riddled with problems. The accuser has cried rape before but did not press charges. It seems the DA might have brought this case to a grand jury as a means to bolster his chances of reelection. The DA also has concentrated more on tying this case in the press rather than allowing the case to take its course. One of the accused seems to have a solid alibi. There is DNA evidence for the case but none of it fits the accuser's story.

So far, 2 Duke Lacrosse players have been indighted. They have been suspended from school until the case is resolved. Duke University canned the rest of the Lacrosse team's season, and the coach resigned. So much for innocent until proven guilty.

To me, it seems like most people, especially the press, jumped the gun and condemed the accused. The more I learn about the case, the more I have to wonder. Is this case a failure of the justice system?

You may be innocent until proven guilty in the court system, but when it comes to the news media its totally another story/

You know when I was a freshman in College there was a similar incident. A student was accused by another of rape. He was suspended while an investigation was launched and the charges were investigated. The result? No evidence was found to substantial the claim, but because he was a guy and his accuser was a girl he was convicted in the minds of many. He tried coming back the next year, but finally transferred to another school because the female student organisations had already blacklisted him as a rapist.

Well I talk first hand experience here. I have had two students making up a story about me and another student. It got me suspended (with pay) for two weeks. I am however fine with that since it wasn't a disciplinary suspension. It would have been wrong for me to walk to halls of my school while the educational board is investigating this issue. After two weeks I was cleared and went back to work. The time it takes for this story to go away depends on how you deal with that. After two weeks my collegues and pupils were like before, case closed!

Ted said:
Well I talk first hand experience here. I have had two students making up a story about me and another student. It got me suspended (with pay) for two weeks. I am however fine with that since it wasn't a disciplinary suspension. It would have been wrong for me to walk to halls of my school while the educational board is investigating this issue. After two weeks I was cleared and went back to work. The time it takes for this story to go away depends on how you deal with that. After two weeks my collegues and pupils were like before, case closed!
You were very lucky.

I agree. This isn't a failure, it's a success. Not too many years ago, people would have died over this affair. Even if the DA is politically motivated, the rule of law, not the rule of politics, will prevail.

That being said, the actions of the accuser and the accused left an awful lot to be desired.

tomtom22 said:
You were very lucky.

I am aware of that! But I turned in my resignation after that the chairman of the board hinted that I might have been lucky to get off. We had a "nice" chat and suddenly he started down that path, eventhough I had a paper written guarantee that this would not happen. I went home, wrote my resignation and quit this job. I am working as a sales exec for our international airport and miss my old job on daily basis.

Back