dual Military with 1 child

N@vychick

My fiance' and I have decided to join the Navy. We plan on getting married before we leave for basic training. We have already talked to a recruiter and began the process of enlisting. We have a one year old son together and I am wondering what will be the challenges that we will come against with both of us doing active duty??? We are both aware of the chances of us being deployed and that is not a problem for we have a air tight family care plan. What would be the pros and cons? How soon can our son be with us after bootcamp? About how long does it normally take for a home to be set up for us to live in? Any input will be great or stories of those already living as a dual military family.

By set up if you mean Base Housing, you will have to apply for it when you get to your command.

Then it depends on any number of variables mostly supply and demand. You most likely won't be given goverment housing at check in. Chances are you may have to rent your own place off post for awhile at least.

Your child won't in most cases (almost all) be able to join you until after you completev your A School and receive your PCS orders to your first duty station.

with what 03USMC said, it would probably be better for one of you two, to join, graduate and then switch, for the childs sake and money wise, it would save you, babysitting and daycare can run up a bill really quick, but im sure you know about that...

And you better have reliable transportation set up prior to moving off base or into housing. Your LPO or CPO ain't gonna care if the bus was running late.

Back