Drunk Norwegian tourists nearly lynched in Egypt

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
Source: Aftenposten English Web Desk

Drunk Norwegian tourists nearly lynched in Egypt

Two Norwegians, part of a group of intoxicated Scandinavian tourists on holiday in Egypt, were nearly lynched at the resort town of Hurghada this week, after their antics deeply offended the local population.

The two Norwegians and three Swedes ended up being arrested by local police, who protected them from an angry mob.

The troubled started after the five Scandinavian tourists got drunk, dressed themselves up like Muslim pilgrims and started dancing around the statue of a mermaid located in a town square, and pretending she symbolized Allah.

The Scandinavians apparently were trying to parody Muslim pilgrimages to Mecca. When they started stripping off their clothes, the local Egyptians had had enough and went on the attack.

A local policeman told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet that his colleagues had to step in to protect the tourists from angry local residents. "If they hadn't been arrested, they probably would have been lynched," an Islamic expert told Aftonbladet.

The tourists were initially held on charges of indecent conduct, since some of the men exposed themselves. The charges were later raised to blasphemy, which can be punished severely.

Norway's foreign ministry was pulled into the case, but an official at the Norwegian Embassy in Cairo said he hoped to be able to get the Norwegians released and sent home.

He said the embassy had been in contact with Egyptian authorities. An official at the Norwegians' tour company, Apollo, could confirm on Friday that the men, all aged 35-40, had been released and were free to leave Egypt.

Hurghada is a popular tourist destination for Scandinavians, and the local population generally tolerates the partying and scanty clothing so foreign to their own culture.

What is wrong with these Scandinavian countries. I hear nothing but troubling news from that part of Europe. I guess if the taxes on booze were cut, all these tourist wouldn't get so drunk.... Ehhh, never mind that last remark, since the English, Germans, Dutch etc do the same!

That's what happens when idiots get drunk anywhere. They piss of the loals and get the crap beat out of them. It's happened to me many a time in the New England Area of the USA.

I get drunk off my arse and start talking about how I hate liberals. Next thing I know, I awake in a cell next to my buddies and we're all wondering what the hell happened and why our fist hurt.

It happens everywhere with everyone. The only issue with this is how will it add fuel to the fire of the islamic extremist cause of their jihad aganist the western world.

Strange sentiment I'm sure, but my first reaction was, "Whew, at least they weren't Americans."

Even as prudish as we can be in the US, were something like that do happen here, there would be a call to the local law, a misdemeanor or two would be handed down, and that would be that. It's a bit silly to lynch people because they offend you. On the other hand, it's idiotic to act that way around fundamentalists of Islamic persuasion.

Ah hell, if you folks ever want to see me drunk off my arse. Just head on down to the local billards club. I'm there every friday. It's two for one. Soooo.... me and my friends get wasted, play some pool, and walk home.

All of our cars stay at my place, which is a five minute walk from my place. No cars = safer night.

Hey, I can't be all up tight Mr. Right Winger all the time. I gotta have a break to you know.

Everyone needs to get drunk at least once in their life so they'll know how rich people feel all the time. I think that was a Mark Twain quote, not sure. I've gone out drinking with people who didn't know what "just one more" meant. That means until they throw us out and lock the doors and windows to keep us out. Some folks are just so uptight, you couldn't pound a needle in their butt with a sledge hammer. Avoid that type at all costs.

It's also fun when you're the designated driver and you stop at a gas station every other block and make you watsed friends that they need to chip in for gas. You make a killing.

Ahhh, taking advantage of drunk friends. There's no greater sign of true comradery expect when you write funny stuff all over them when they pass out in your living room.

You forgot immortalizing those moments either on tape or pictures only to show them on the least fit occasions :lol:

5.56X45mm said:
Hey, I can't be all up tight Mr. Right Winger all the time. I gotta have a break to you know.

You had me fooled Luis :) But in the Orient they say that a man needs to get drunk every so often. This is to let the evil spirits out! And about those pictures, there are sites on the net that show loads of these kind of pictures. I am glad that it never happened to me!!

Back