Drug use in the USA

Drugs given in a prescription are labeled as to the side effects they can cause. If you take them as prescribed, all is A-OK.
This is the exactly what I was saying when I said naive... So then why would we need malpractice insurance and why is there malpractice lawsuits...Because they arent always A-OK...

A information database for both consumers and professionals
http://www.drugs.com/

I could see a loss of motivation with the abuse of anything not just marijuana...

What kind of research are you referring to? As far as I could tell when I served, the Army Medical Corps were the same as I experienced as a civilian when I was discharged.
[FONT=&quot]I was not comparing the experience or medical training but the evidence it uses for the war on drugs...

However I have had ex-military in the class for my EMT and I have seen ex-military nurses in nursing programs to be able to take state boards because their military training was not recognized...

[/FONT]
therise21 said:
it really depends on the user. i have a few friends who are basically burnouts, they sit around and do nothing all day but get high. i also have a few friends who smoke weed and have high paying proffesional jobs. the fact that it can lead to psychosis later in life is debateable. do your studies tell you of the subjects family history with regards to mental illness, or other factors that may increase the risk of it? weed is basically a harmless recreational drug if used responsibly. of course it can have negative effects if used in an irresponsible way(driving on it, etc), but many things can.
This is what I was trying to get at that and there is a plethora of other things out there that people dont even realize how harmful they could be...

How about the findings of fire retardent chemicals in the human body??? I bet this is going to be a great thing in the long term and guess what all of us have/had no choice...

To get you started in that research here you go
Google Results for Fire Retardant Chemicals in Humans

Im just trying to open anyones eyes to the fact that their is way way bigger problems then something that grows naturally on our planet....

Last edited:
GI_JOEJK said:
By working in the entertainment industry, I have seen it all. One of the things I have noticed, is when an artist starts to use marijuana, he looses his creative initiative. These artists are the most apathetic bunch I have ever seen. They will talk big but do nothing, except smoke more weed. Is it no wonder that people who smoke weed are considered "losers"?

If you want to retain that motivational drive and ambition, DO NOT use marijuana. It may not harm you physically, but it will alter you mentally.

Really? Because I've seen rappers and musicians and even authors and poets that all do marijuana and I've noticed that they're words are more deeper and creative than most. Weird

Anyway it doesnt matter anymore. There is no way marijuana could be legalized with all the people who work in jailhouses and all the people that are part of this "war on drugs" that depend on marijuana being illegal. What a shame...

Last edited:
What sort of response do you guys (pro marijuana/weed) want? Our acknowledgement of your drug use/potential drug use? A pat on the sholder and "jolly good, son, keep on smoking it as it isn't dangerous" comments?

Whatever....

sunb! said:
What sort of response do you guys (pro marijuana/weed) want? Our acknowledgement of your drug use/potential drug use? A pat on the sholder and "jolly good, son, keep on smoking it as it isn't dangerous" comments?

Whatever....

A non-judgemental approach would be nice... Or stop to comparing it with say genocide. I am even less then a recreational user, but reading the general tenure in this thread, it makes me feel like Saddam. Live and let live, judge me when I have done anything stupid like driving while intoxicated or fighting a war while intoxicated...

I just find it funny that the only drug known to man that you will die from withdrawls when trying to stop without professional help is legal....

http://www.alphanutrition.com/alcohol/alcoholneg.htm

http://www.wynboer.co.za/recentarticles/200607health.php3

http://www.greenfacts.org/alcohol/l-2/04-health-effects-alcohol.htm

http://www.healthinfonet.ecu.edu.au/html/html_health/specific_aspects/other_aspects/substance_use/alcohol_use1.htm

The most widely abused drug in the world (Even ESPN agrees)
http://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/alcohol.html

http://www.intute.ac.uk/healthandlifesciences/cgi-bin/browse.pl?gateway=omni&id=253854

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/factsheets/general_information.htm

So shit it looks like we should outlaw beer....oh wait they tried that ;)

An interesting tidbit of information I saw on the discovery channel...They are find that Americans are drinking much more then they admit to, this is being discovered via our trsah.

Last edited:
I figure we'd all live longer if alcohol and tobacco weren't made available to consumers. I know we tried that with alcohol before and failed, but even when 99% of people drink responsibly, the other 1% will still cause thousands of deaths every year from car crashes and health problems. Tobacco use thankfully is being reduced all the time in this country, especially compared to most other countries of the world.

When you make something legal, it inevitably grows in usage because there's a market incentive to earn more profits from selling a product. That will probably happen to marijuana if it too is legalized, but i'm not worried about marijuana. It' really harmless compared to alcohol and tobacco, more should be done to get people to stop using these products rather than pot.

That's not to say i think pot is so great, i'd rather not have that either, but it's really out of its league when compared to major legal drugs available.

I say the New Hampshire state motto sums it up best....

"Live Free or Die" you can find this on all of their license plates ;)

I only live once in the physical presence and to be honest I would rather die young then live to be 100 and watch everyone else around me die....

But alcohol when used responsibly has many benefits...

I just like how the gubment is trying to tell us the htings that have been around for hundreds of thousands of years are bad for us...I mean really if they where that bad then our species should have died off by now?????

Last edited:
Moderate drinking of alcohol has been proven beneficial in many ways as long as one is not an alcoholic or pregnant. Almost half of US traffic accidents involve alcohol. The upshot is in all things, show restraint.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

Alcohol And Health

Moderate drinkers tend to have better health and live longer than those who are either abstainers or heavy drinkers. In addition to having fewer heart attacks and strokes, moderate consumers of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine or distilled spirits or liquor) are generally less likely to suffer hypertension or high blood pressure, peripheral artery disease, Alzheimer's disease and the common cold. Sensible drinking also appears to be beneficial in reducing or preventing diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, bone fractures and osteoporosis, kidney stones, digestive ailments, stress and depression, poor cognition and memory, Parkinson's disease, hepatitis A, pancreatic cancer, macular degeneration (a major cause of blindness), angina pectoris, duodenal ulcer, erectile sysfunction, hearing loss, gallstones, liver disease and poor physical condition in elderly.

All of the many health benefits of drinking apply only to moderate consumption - - never to heavy drinking. To the contrary, heavy drinking is associated with reduced longevity and increased risk of a diversity of diseases. Unfortunately, there really can be too much of a good thing.

Health Problems

While the moderate consumption of alcohol is associated with better health and longer life than is abstinence, the heavy consumption of alcohol, especially over a period of many years, can lead to serious health problems and even death.

Cirrhosis is probably the most widely recognized medical complication of chronic alcoholism. 17 It is a grave and irreversible condition characterized by a progressive replacement of healthy liver tissue with scars, which can lead to liver failure and death. 18 Fortunately, the abuse of alcohol is down and so is cirrhosis.

This entire thread is quite interesting. Cannibis has socio-religious significance for Hindus, though it is taboo in most situations in India today. It only became illegal here around 1985, but the cops dont really care if you smoke up.
I dont really think its physically addictive, as in you could snap out of it if you really wanted. But i have loads of friends who are quite obviously addicted- even if your body doesnt crave it, your mind does i guess. If you are mentally weak enough to get addicted to it in the first place, you sure as hell aren't strong enough to snap out of it!
I've tried smoking up a couple of times, but i never got high, so i stopped trying. Personally, i wish i had been strong enough to resist, (i guess peer preassure got to me after two years, even if it wasnt overt.) Having said that, i would drink it (yes drink it) on Holi, a festival we have here, when its supposed to be legal for a day. (!!!)
After my (limited) experience with it, i've come to the conclusion that its a lot like alcohol, in that it wont kill you if you are mature enough to handle yourself and exercise control. Saddly these kids at 15 are'nt really mature enough to do so, and end up pathetic 'pot-heads' by the time they hit 17.
While i've heard the whole range of excuses from friends (most notably, "it makes me more creative" and "i have more fun"), and while to an extent these are true, at the end of the day, they cant exist without it; its not about more fun or more creative, its just that they CANT have fun without it, they loose ALL creativity without it!

That is what totally disgusts me!

I guess I'm one of the few people who decided to smoke AFTER doing research and knowing marijuana's effects, and not because of peer pressure.

It's done nothing but good for me. I'm actually much more outgoing now than I used to be. And of course, I just like pot.

My grades haven't decreased and my life goes on normally. And I can tell you from experience that alcohol has far greater damage potential, and that you are much more likely to commit a damaging act or crime while drunk than high simply because it has a much worse effect on judgement (and even basic control of your body).

I have a bubbler, so the damage to my lungs will be far, far less than it would be for even a light tobacco smoker. Hell, if I wanted, I could just get a vaporizer and not damage my lungs at all.

It is 4:33 am here in China and 40 minutes ago I was awakened by a call on my cellphone from my brother in Colorado. My sister is dead. She was 30 years old. She has three small children, one of them is not even 2 yet and they have no mother now. Why? Klonopin. A prescription drug she was taking for recreational purposes so all this crap about legalising it will make the world a better place is a big huge pile of :cen:.

Last edited:
bulldogg said:
It is 4:33 am here in China and 40 minutes ago I was awakened by a call on my cellphone from my brother in Colorado. My sister is dead. She was 30 years old. She has three small children, one of them is not even 2 yet and they have no mother now. Why? Klonopin. A prescription drug she was taking for recreational purposes so all this crap about legalising it will make the world a better place is a big huge pile of :cen:.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. But I dont see how Klonopin, a benzodiazapine, relates to the discussion we are having right now about marijuana, a drug with no lethal dose.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. But I dont see how Klonopin, a benzodiazapine, relates to the discussion we are having right now about marijuana, a drug with no lethal dose.

Think before you post. Have some compasion.

Thanks Nick but I expect this kind of thing from the kids on here... "youth is wasted on the young" and all that...

FDD, let me connect the dots for you. My sister started by smoking pot at 16. By 18 there was nothing she hadn't tried in her endless pursuit of a bigger and better high. You build a tolerance to THC and eventually you smoke just to feel normal and to get a high again you must start using stronger and more dangerous drugs. The end result of smoking pot is that my sister is dead... marajuana may not in and of itself have a lethal dose but smoking it killed my sister.

My sister started by smoking pot at 16. By 18 there was nothing she hadn't tried in her endless pursuit of a bigger and better high. You build a tolerance to THC and eventually you smoke just to feel normal and to get a high again you must start using stronger and more dangerous drugs. The end result of smoking pot is that my sister is dead... marajuana may not in and of itself have a lethal dose but smoking it killed my sister.

This story is horribly familiar. My cousin started on pot, within 3 years ended up dying of a heroin overdose. I connect the dots the same way you do.

Back