Drinking

Hmm, thats strange. I spent a whole summer in Moscow and didn't see or hear of any green vodka. But I can shed some light into why Russians can drink so much. Russian families tend to cook at home for special occasions and many people come. Traditionally these so called "dinners" take multiple hours, unlike the traditions in the USA. At the beginning of the meal shots are poured, and the first toast is usually the most important one. Then people continue toasting to what ever they want of the course of a few hours. A lot of alcohol is consumed that way and the kids at the table see this and continue the tradition them selves later on in life. At the ages of about 13 - 18, the kids do kind of the same thing except as underage people they must do it out side at different camp grounds. As age approaches the legal drinking age, the place of partying shifts from outside, to bars. Then with more age and families the big dinner parties occur. Its a cycle. But it is true, refusing a drink is considered bad. You drink until you are ruined and the people pouring drinks stop pouring you anything, or the person of opposite gender that you came with cuts you off. Luckily, Russian food is very hearty and in my personal opinion it helps.

Abisnth wit the drugs init, heroin is it? Well only has that stuff in the scandenavien version. The stuff you get in USA,AUS,UK is the low key version.

Its illegal in these countries

Heroin? Hell no, it doesn't contain heroin. I think you might be thinking of opium. It used to be drunk with opium.

As for it being illegal in Australia, it isn't. You can get it in the pub, bottle shop etc.

And as for drinking habits, drinking is a pretty big thing in Australia... cold beer after work with the mates, or a blinding saturday night on the rum, is a pretty average thing. I've gone off drinking a lot for a while, just to detox a bit.

cheers

opium...........waht you think heroin is made from.

Just couldn't rem the name.

Cheers for that Russian Island name. Its a right dive that place. Safe to say we never went back there.

been to St. Petersburg/murmansk/ArkAngel so many times with navy.

As for beer..............paddy pour me a a cold carling I'm thirsty :lol:

Re: cheers

EuroSpike said:
"Its a right dive that place."

Russia is, just cross the border and welcome to the largest carbage yard in the world! Better to be at least properly vaccinated. I live near border 8)

"I wont have any part in this post, you make me feel sick"

Just go and buy your bottle!

mmm, you are really underestimating Russia, you live NEAR the border, and not in Russia, and how many times have you been there?

Re: cheers

"mmm, you are really underestimating Russia, you live NEAR the border, and not in Russia, and how many times have you been there?"

I have been there many times since it is easy and short trip there. A real shock to cross the border but i recommend. :shock:

Good and exotic travelling destination wich is now quite safe too if you take attention on few little things.

I drink on the weekends, Its a fun and social activity, probably not to good for the liver though......

Re: ha ha ha ha

Anya1982 said:
try russian green vodka, now that stuufs like 100% alcohol!!

Failing that the scandenavien (or how ever spelt) absinth

Sorry to be a smartass but alcohol can't get stronger than 96%, it turns into fumes if it exceeds 96%...

I have once tried a sip of 96% stuff, and It came up after a few seconds...

Re: ha ha ha ha

Damn i have bad aftermath. Yesterday we were visiting a paper mill and there was offered some good service at club. Excellent stuff. 8)

Back