Drill Sergeant Etiquette

Missileer

A crusty old Drill Sergeant was called to the Company Commander's office. Upon reporting, the CO told "Sarge" that one of his troops' Mother had died and it was his job to break the news, gently, to Pvt Smith. Leaving the old man's office, the Sarge was wondering what words he could use that would be "gentle." Ninety-Eight percent of his language would make a Sailor faint, and was spoken at the top of his voice. He decided to just do it as he best knew how. Sarge had the men fall out in formation and screamed out "All you little %*$$**)~ who thinks his Mother is alive, step forward, where in the h*** do you think you're going Smith?"

My favourite example of drill sergeant (petty officer) etiquette comes from officer training the Royal Navy. My old friend Mark related the story of what happened when he committed some minor drill infraction (like marching out of step)...for the second time.

PO: "Sir! I can't call you a ****, can I?"
Officer candidate: "No PO"
PO: "But I can think you're a ****, can't I?"
Officer candidate: "Yes PO"
PO: "Well, sir, I think you're a ****"

Remember the DIs are, in fact, everyone's friend. They just happen to be a very shouty friend.

Missileer said:
Sarge had the men fall out in formation and screamed out "All you little %*$$**)~ who thinks his Mother is alive, step forward, where in the h*** do you think you're going Smith?"
That sounds like are NJROTC teacher 1st sgt.

Back